selecting a suitable towing vehicle - concrete

I suppose this question has come up previously, but here goes:

SWMBO and I have been contemplating buying a small caravan. Given our new location quite near to the ferries and tunnel for the channel it makes sense to consider touring the continent. It is not just selecting a vehicle that is capable of towing a small caravan but also a vehicle with a proven track record of towing and being reliable too. I am not keen on Land Rover or the usual SUV type vehicles and would prefer a suitable saloon. I am sure many forum members have relevant experience in this field. Any useful advice would be most welcome. If we proceed then I would purchase caravan and vehicle during the winter months to drive a better deal. Thanks Concrete

selecting a suitable towing vehicle - Bromptonaut

SWMBO and I have been contemplating buying a small caravan.

Assume you've both been driving long enough for the B+E licence not to be required:

www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

As a starter for ten, have you any idea of the make/model of caravan you might buy? New or secondhand?

There's some basic information on the AA website about towing weights etc.

www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/towin...l

Loads more on the Caravan Club's site.

FWIW we tow an (Elddis) Xplore 304SE with a Citroen Berlingo 1.6/115PS Diesel and find it a fine and stable outfit.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 28/06/2015 at 17:58

selecting a suitable towing vehicle - Avant

I've often seen a Skoda (Octavia or Superb depending on the size you need) win towcar of thr year awards, so one of those is worth a look. That said, the Berlingo is a cheaper alternative for a small caravan.

I've no experience of caravanning but I think you need a combination where the caravan weighs no more than 85 % of the car. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Edit - Oh yes, it's in the AA link kindly provided by Bromptonaut. "... the weight of the loaded caravan should not be more than 85% of the car's Kerb Weight."

Edited by Avant on 29/06/2015 at 17:15

selecting a suitable towing vehicle - Bromptonaut

I've often seen a Skoda (Octavia or Superb depending on the size you need) win towcar of thr year awards, so one of those is worth a look. That said, the Berlingo is a cheaper alternative for a small caravan.

I've seen several reccomendsfor the Octavia too. The Berlingo illustrates a trap with way a few manufacturers (all or most French) don't permit the car to be fully laden and tow a 'van at it's limit.

The car's max laden weight is (say) 2025kg. Maxpermitted tow is 1300kg. BUT the max permitted gross train weight, ie combined weight of laden car and laden 'van, is 3025kg. Anything that takes the 'van over 1000kg reduces the poss max weight of the car.

Not a problem for us with a 1070kg van and usually only two people. Family of four with teenage kids and a 1300kg 'van would be seriously constrained.

selecting a suitable towing vehicle - slkfanboy

I think you soon find that the loss of friend and hate mail will get too much.

Really! The cost of petrol and pain involved don't really make it enterprise worth enduring. Why not go on the train/plain to south france and the hire a mini bus and enjoy.

Saves getting a new car and converting it to tow. Then buy the offending item and paying for it to be stored. Once stored it gets broken into etc etc.

The hire route will cost your tops £800 a week in august for 4 people but thats far less than buy anything.

Hire/enjoy/return/forget!

selecting a suitable towing vehicle - focussed

Or fly there and hire a motor caravan - the French don't do towed caravans much- and hoist a 50cc scooter on the rack at the back to go and get your daily bread from the boulangerie.

selecting a suitable towing vehicle - xtrailman

Mondeo diesel is very popular.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/forum/11-towcar-talk/

Ask on here.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/discussions/information,-technical-tips-advice/towcars-towing/

Or here.

Edited by xtrailman on 29/06/2015 at 22:33

Thank you everyone, lots of information and links to explore.

I already run a Superb 1.9tdi 130 PD but it is 10 years old with nearly 200k miles. It is still so good and reliable but I am not prepared to start towing with it. Avant makes a good point about Skoda and have just looked at an Octavia 2.0tdi online. Seems to fill the bill as a tow car. Especially as we are considering a 2 berth compact model probably about 900kg in weight. We have always flown and hired locally in the past but now retired (most of the time) we can take longer breaks and go further afield, which renders fly/hire impractical. Really helpful so far, thanks again. Will be soliciting help again come the winter when I intend to buy the caravan and tow vehicle.

Cheers Concrete

Gave the Skoda Octavia the once over today. Very impressed. However a development has caused me to re-think. The husband of my niece works for a Ford main dealer and has been there for many years. He has supplied vehicles to other family members without problems and everyone seems happy enough. My brother in law has had several from him, and he does not throw money around lightly. She thinks he could give me a very good deal on a vehicle from Ford Direct or their own stock. I just don't know enough about Fords. Had loads of them as company cars in the 70's and 80's but not since. Last one was a Sierra, which was fine. Does anyone have more in depth up to date knowledge of the Ford range and which vehicle would be best for towing a small caravan? Thanks.

Cheers Concrete

selecting a suitable towing vehicle - Happy Blue!

I cannot comment about towing but my one experience with a Ford Direct car in the last few years was overwhelmingly positive. I would have thought that if you like the Superb, you should go for the last of the last model Mondeo with the 2.0 TDCi engine. Very reliable engine fitted to many different makes and models.

Thanks Happy Blue, very positive feedback. I shall go and see the man and have a good look around the Kuga and the Mondeo.

Getting more compicated now! a friend has recommended a Honda CRV. He has had one for 4 trouble free years and does some towing although mainly trailers, but he speaks highly of it. I must say I have had three Honda Accords in the past and they were all excellent. More ingredients in the mix. Good job I not in a hurry!

Cheers Concrete