Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - emmetyak

Hi,

I'm currently in the middle of nowhere in France, and I had to change my brake pads. The calipers are about 17 years old, and therefore pretty corroded. The new pads are binding, so normally I'd put a bit of Copaslip on the lugs to keep them moving, but this being The Sticks, I can't find any anywhere!

Any idea what else I could use that would withstand the temperature?

Thanks for any advice you can give...

Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - skidpan

If they are binding they do not simply need Copper Grease. They need dismantling and cleaning out thoroughly then reassembling checking that all components move freely.

Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - gordonbennet

As Skidpan, they needs stripping and cleaning thoroughly to establish if it's built up corrosion on the caliper/pad seating causing the sticking, or as is more likely, the pistons and caliper sliding pins.

Copper grease isn't the ideal for brakes anyway (except where the edges of the pad touch the caliper which cause that annoying squeal when they vibrate), you should buy the correct silicon grease specified for brakes, that can be used on the pistons and sliders.

Any car accessory shop worth its salt should have some, but it's usually sold in such places in small sachets at relatively silly money, better to buy a 500ml or 1 litre can which will last you a lifetime.

Copper grease will in time perish the rubber dust covers, and if it gets on them, seals.

Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - craig-pd130

you should buy the correct silicon grease specified for brakes, that can be used on the pistons and sliders.

Copper grease will in time perish the rubber dust covers, and if it gets on them, seals.

Exactly. In motorbike circles the stuff is called 'red rubber grease' as it's blood-red in colour, thick and sticky. Very high melting point so it doesn't run, and is also safe for use with rubber boots and dust covers.

Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - skidpan

The red grease is the right stuff to use on rubber seals, bushes etc. But where metal touches metal Copper grease is still the correct stuff to use. Reputable pad sets come with a sachet in the box.

Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - craig-pd130

Having said all that, when I stripped the brake caliper on my old Suzuki GT, the previous owner had used copper grease liberally on the sliding pins which had rubber o-rings on them and dust boots.

The rubber bits were still fine, and I'd had the bike 5 or so years at that point, so copper grease isn't that aggressive in damaging rubber. I just wiped them with a little brake fluid and they freshened up nicely.

The problem is that copper grease dries out and simply doesn't lubricate very well after a couple of years.

Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - old-school-tech

I seem to remember in one edition of MOT matters (monthly MOT testing magazine) that one bright spark had cured his "brake binding" issue by using copper grease....On the friction side of the brake pads !!!!

If in doubt...leave things alone and get someone else to do the job !

Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - edlithgow

you should buy the correct silicon grease specified for brakes, that can be used on the pistons and sliders.

Exactly. In motorbike circles the stuff is called 'red rubber grease' as it's blood-red in colour, thick and sticky. Very high melting point so it doesn't run, and is also safe for use with rubber boots and dust covers.

I thought that stuff was a castor oil base, with perhaps bentonite as the solid component.

That would imply that, in the long term, it might "go off", so maybe they now make a silicon based replacement using the same name as the "classic" product?

Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - edlithgow

As others have said, unless you absolutely have to improvise, its safer not to.

Copper-based antiseize is very difficult to find here in Taiwan, though I now know a place in the next city where I could buy a kg tub of it, which would last me until the heat death of the universe.

That said, aluminium is a pretty good (in fact, possibly superior) substitute for copper in this application, and widely available.

The top of a coke can, cut off, gives you a clean up tool which can be used for scraping off corrosion. If you've got some small rusted threaded parts to clean up, you can rattle them around in the ring-pull hole.

Finish-off rubbing with aluminium foil. These "treatments" will leave some dry aluminium on the surface which will have some anti-seize/anticorrosion effect.

Making anti-seize grease is a bit more dodgy, since it requires the base-grease to have the right properties.

I make aluminium-based antiseize (which I've never seen here) as follows. Put a tiny dab of your grease of choice (I usually use lithium-based bearing grease, but note that this is not rubber-compatible) in the base dimple of an (empty, or at least unopened) beer or soft drinks can.

This is your mortar

Roll up a wee ball of aluminium foil, the finer the better.

This is your pestle

Rub the pestle around in the mortar until the grease looks dark gray enough. Then scoop it out with your finger and apply.

If you don't want to get your finger dirty, wear gloves (or use a plastic bag) but you were probably doing that already, you big Jessie.

I havn't so far located a source of rubber-compatible grease here. I have used ear-wax in a pinch, but of course its only available in rather small quantities at any given time.

Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - focussed

Copper grease in French is "Graisse cuivre" - you can get it online from places

like :-

www.oscaro.com/graisse-10132-gu

or www.mister-auto.com

Old cars! - Do you know any alternatives to copper grease? - focussed

And have just seen that Lidl france will be selling it from monday 13 july, they are calling it pate de cuivre in a 50 ml tube.

They will also be selling brake grease, battery post grease, silicone grease, and graisse longue duree whatever that is.

All at €2.99 a pop.