Peugeot 106 1.5D - Cambelt change - rich_g85
Hi there,
I've recently bought a 106 1.5D with 87k miles but no record of the cambelt being changed. I think it's worth having it changed but I'm looking to get your advice on what a sensible figure would be for having the cambelt and also the water pump changed. Are there any other components worth changing at the same time?

Thanks!
Rich
Peugeot 106 1.5D - Cambelt change - Railroad.
I've just changed the cambelt and water pump on my brother's Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDi. It's a 2003 car with 130,000 miles on it. The old belt showed the original manufacturer's name and date stamp, proving that it had never been changed before. Further evidence was the lack of paint marks which people who don't know the correct way to do them use. The old belt looked as good as new when I took it off.

What I'm saying is weigh up how much you paid for the car, and how much it's worth against the cost of replacing the cambelt and decide from there.
Peugeot 106 1.5D - Cambelt change - Gibbo_Wirral

I'd recommend a Gates cambelt and waterpump kit, and new tensioner. They retail around £50-£60 for the parts.

Also do the thermostat while you're at it.

Peugeot 106 1.5D - Cambelt change - Wackyracer

Also do the thermostat while you're at it.

Why? I'm curious.

Peugeot 106 1.5D - Cambelt change - Andrew-T

You don't say how old the car is, but presumably about 7 years or more? At that age & mileage the car may go on for years, or the belt may go next week, probably writing off the engine. Depends therefore whether you want to take that risk - i.e. do you want to keep the car enough to pay ~£250 for peace of mind.

My daughter had a 205 whose belt failed at ~50K, soon after a dealer service. On the other hand, I had a 205 GTi which was running on the original belt when I got the car at 17 years old. It's a lottery.

Gents,
Thank you for all your replies.

In answer to Andrew-T, it is a 52-plate so the better part of 13 years old. I won't be in a position to replace it until next year, so paying c£300 seems like a reasonable investment to keep it going (all other things being equal).

Re the thermostat - is this only 'do-able' with the belt off? It's on my list of bits to replace trying to solve the coolant temp light coming on when stopped in traffic (only ever in very warm weather, helped by turning the heater up full). I don't think the radiator fan is coming on - could the thermostat be at fault there? Excuse the noddy question; I'm still quite inexperienced with maintaining cars, but keen to expand my ability by doing as much as I can myself.

Got sidetracked there. Thanks again for the advice!

Rich

Peugeot 106 1.5D - Cambelt change - Wackyracer

As it is a late one the timing belt interval is 10 years or 80,000miles for normal use.

The thermostat can be changed without touching the timing belt, it is located at the other end of the cylinder head by the battery.

Timing belt kit is about £80 and a new water pump £20-£30. It is listed as a 2.2 hour job but, always takes me longer to do them. I made the tool for tensioning and the ofset 6mm rod for locking the Flywheel myself. Camshaft can be locked in placed with a long M8 set screw and the fuel pump with an M6 set screw.

Wackyracer, thanks - that confirms my fear that I'm running on 'borrowed time'!

There is no way I would attempt this job as a DIY though - I simply don't have the knowledge or skills!

Peugeot 106 1.5D - Cambelt change - Andrew-T

The thermostat can be changed without touching the timing belt, it is located at the other end of the cylinder head by the battery.

The point about changing the thermostat at the same time is that it is usual to change the water-pump with the cambelt, so you will be draining the cooling circuit anyway.

I guessed as much. Thanks for clarifying.

Just to be clear - I'm not able to replace the CAR until next year, hence the investment in a new cambelt!