VW Golf III - VW 1993 AAM inlet manifold relay clicking+stalling - stavloy

After reading around these and other forums to try and see if anyone else has encountered this problem and had no joy, I guessed it best to ask.

Having bought an old 1993 1.8 Golf III recently with an intermittent fault and 58000 miles on the clock, I have found that it runs from cold for a while and then splutters because the inlet manifold preheater relay (no 1, part no.171 906 383 ) is clicking and it seems to be losing its spark.

It will drive well for a period of time and then kangaroo badly with the revs dropping and then suddenly returning to normal. It has just had a new throttle idle control motor unit and coolant temperature sender. Also it has had good second hand inlet manifold preheater and fuel pump relays.

To give you an extra clue after the engine has cut out the fuel tank vent valve behind the airbox clicks in time with the inlet manifold preheater relay.

Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

Regards,

Ed

VW Golf III - VW 1993 AAM inlet manifold relay clicking+stalling - elekie&a/c doctor

I presume this will be a Bosch mono jetronic single point injection system.Both the manifold pre heater and tank vent valve/relays are controlled by the engine control unit.It could be a fault with the ignition system causing the ecu to shut down.There is an ignition coil/amplifier bolted the the bulkhead.I would check for spark when the engine cuts out.Also an idea to check connections to the rear of the fuse box and also the the multi point earth connections bolted to the front of the engine block.