Ford S-MAX - What is the expected life of a modern gearbox - andrewloves

Hello.

Our local garage has told us there is a major problem wrong with our gearbox and it will need replacing.

We will of course get a second / third opinion this, but this raises the question:

"What is the expected life of modern gearbox?"

From various google searches, some say the lifetime of the vehicle. Whatever that might be.

Is the above true? Can this be backed up with concrete edvidence?

If then there is a consumer case to claim against the manufacture 'for not fit for purpose'.

FYI, Our Ford has done 80k miles, 8 years, full main dealer service history,and am original owner.

Any advice appreciated.

Andrew.

Ford S-MAX - What is the expected life of a modern gearbox - elekie&a/c doctor

What gearbox do you have?Auto,manual,a combination of both?(durashift)what is the problem?

Manual box

Increased noise underload.

Not a whine, more of a purr. A bit like a playing card on bike spokes. Increases with revs.

Any clues?

Ford S-MAX - What is the expected life of a modern gearbox - Andrew-T

IMHO, the life of the car, as that happens for most cars. However that will depend on (a) how the driver(s) have treated the 'box and (b) whether there was any intrinsic fault, which is rare but not unknown. You need an independent assessment of the problem, but presumably after 8 years it will be hard to claim or prove any maker responsibility.

Snag is that the only way to find out may be to dismantle, which costs.

Ford S-MAX - What is the expected life of a modern gearbox - skidpan

Chap in our office had a S-Max 2.0 TDCi and the box went after 5 years and 140,000 miles. Had spent most of its life on motorways so it should not have been overstressed.

4 othe S-Max's in the office that have done similar mileages have had no issues.

Presumably its the same box used in Mondeos and possibly Citroens and Peugeots thus there must be millions about.

Thats good to know. S-Max Owners club, which has a very large following records very few problems with manual box.

Not trashed. Its a bit hilly where we are. Thats it.

Trouble is main ford dealer wont have the knowledge to take it apart. If done by indepandant, ford probally will not honour any kind of good will agreement.

Ford S-MAX - What is the expected life of a modern gearbox - V4 Heaven

My 205,000 mile old Toyota Carina E 1.8 petrol 1997 has't had a new gearbox in its lifetime. Part of the servicing regime is, however, a gearbox oil change every 27,000 miles. It has a FSH and has always had this carried out at the correct service interval.

I've had it since 46,000 miles and it's still on the original clutch. The car is used for everything from short journies to the shops, to 3hr motorway drives to family. It regulary does a 60 mile round trip commute each day. It's never redlined but still gets taken to 6,000 revs on occasion (redline is 6,500). After all, that's what it was designed to do.

I'd be a bit peeved if I had to change the gearbox at 80,000 miles. I would consider that a weak design.

Edited by V4 Heaven on 17/06/2015 at 19:33

Ford S-MAX - What is the expected life of a modern gearbox - elekie&a/c doctor

I would expect a Ford manual box to do well over 100k without any major issues.Are you sure its a gearbox problem and not some other part of the transmission,ie driveshafts?

Ford S-MAX - What is the expected life of a modern gearbox - brum

check the tyres first.

?

Ford S-MAX - What is the expected life of a modern gearbox - coopshere
"What is the expected life of modern gearbox?"

No doubt the manufacturer will say it's the life of the car and unfortunately in modern times that's about the age of your car. There is no way you will get any good will from Ford on a car that is 8 years old. You may be better off trading it in for a later model.