USA car hire - international driving licence? - brum

Son is hiring a car in the usa but T&C's on holidayautos website are unclear.

The licence requirements first state that UK drivers need to present their photocard. Then a second sentence states that an international driving licence is/or may be required, depending on hirer.

Can anyone with experience of recent usa car hire comment?

USA car hire - international driving licence? - oldroverboy.

Have used Holiday autos in the past for usa,

uk photocard driving license is fine.

is he less than 25 or 21, some hirecos will require an additional waiver the younger he is.

Whatever he does, (from personal recent experience) do NOT even think about having a single alcoholic drink before driving, and do not have any open alcoholic containers in the passenger compartment.

If he is stopped, the correct reply is yes sir no sir as required.

have received several citation tickets (actually a polite telling off)

USA car hire - international driving licence? - Bromptonaut

The question of International Driving Licencee (actually an International Driving Permit) came up either here or on the C4P forum about amonth ago.

As well as the hireco's requiements you need to think about which states you are driving in. At least one, IIRC Florida, required an IDP.

No personal experience of driving over there but my brother out law has. He would endorse ORB's advice about dealing with police. Whereas in UK you'd probably get out of the car if stopped that's the last thing a US cop wants or expects - think the prevalance of firearms over there.

EDIT: Previous thread is here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=109108

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/06/2015 at 11:59

USA car hire - international driving licence? - Graham567

I have hired 3 lots of cars in Louisiana,using Hertz and Enterprise.I still have the old style driving license with no photo card and i have had no problems.I present my passport as well but they don't seem to bother.

I word of advise.That out insurance in the Uk to cover CDW.I have used this web site and had no problems(i post on here regularly and have no connection with this site other than to recommend it)

www.questor-insurance.co.uk/buy-insurance/hire-car...x

I take out the worldwide one for a year.

Another word of advice is that the petrol nozzle is black and the diesel nozzle is green in the US!

Edited by Graham567 on 13/06/2015 at 15:31

USA car hire - international driving licence? - brum

Thanks for all the comments. He is 27 years old so no young driver loading. Too late to organise an IDP now as he is already abroad , back next week for half a day and the only post office that issues them is 30 miles away!

He's going west coast so no Florida which I believe is the only state that used to insist on an IDP several years ago, but not now.

Yes he'll take out excess insurance in the uk, have also used Questor although I never needed to make a claim.

I'll pass the advice on about police etiquette!

Interesting about the nozzle colours, is it possible to misfuel a petrol car? i.e. are nozzle sizes different as per in the uk?

Edited by brum on 13/06/2015 at 22:53

USA car hire - international driving licence? - daveyK_UK

So what are you supposed to do if a US cop pulls you over?

Open the window and stick your hands out? Or put them on the steering wheel?

Its a mad country, I have no ambition to ever visit the USA again.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 17/06/2015 at 01:44

USA car hire - international driving licence? - galileo

So what are you supposed to do if a US cop pulls you over?

Open the window and stick your hands out? Or put them on the steering wheel?

Its a mad country, I have no ambition to ever visit the USA again.

Hands on steering wheel is recommended.

The USA varies by state more than one would think, there are parts I would not want to go again, others though don't seem bad at all.

USA car hire - international driving licence? - slkfanboy

>International Driving Permit

Was due to be introduced in some states of the USA, last year for all visiting drivers. Quite quickly it was suspended for country (inc. UK) which has english writting.

My understanding is that US police had trouble reading some liciences not written in english.

Conclusion is that you don't need one, unless your driving lic. is in latin.

More unkown is that with the loss of the paper part with point are company going to ask for the pin number?

USA car hire - international driving licence? - old-school-tech

Having hired a few rentals in the US I will say that upon returning the car they pay very little attention to condition or damage, I think from what I was told by a few of the rental companies that small dings and scratches are expected and even though I have never returned a vehicle in a worse condition than I got it I did return a Dodge Charger once to Hertz after driving to the grand canyon from Vegas in it...It was filthy and inside and out was covered in dust despite my best efforts to clean it a little before returning. Nothing was mentioned, and I never had any problems later on with deposits etc.

Car hire is extremely popular in the US and generally things seem to run like clockwork.

Take photos before and after just in case...

USA car hire - international driving licence? - Smileyman

@daveyK_UK

when I got pulled over in Florida some yeara ago .. I was overtaken by the police vehicle, lights flashing, I stopped by the roadside behind the vehicle and the officer walked to my car.

the problem, well 82mph is a no-no. I can't remember if I had an IDP on this trip, I think I'd not bothered but my passport and UK driving licence were shown, and a fine of about $100 was awarded. Took so long to process that nearly missed the flight home. I made pretty darn sure it was paid, sent a Amex money order by secure international post and to this day I keep a note of the date sent / serial number etc

also been stopped in France, 150kph this time, yet only a €45 fine, paid on the spot in cash.

USA car hire - international driving licence? - oldroverboy.

I lived in rural New York state, near Lake Placid for a while a few years ago, was stopped on the interstate near Plattsburgh, 85 in a 55 zone in an ancient Chevrolet blazer 4X4 and much to my surprise was sent to court as i was resident.

$100 fine paid in cash and grovelled, (speedo had packed up!) letter from repair garage did not help. warned not to get caught again.

I think it was a novelty for the judge, and he was surprised i did not have a lawyer, but when i had asked beforehand a lawyer wanted $1200 just to plead guily for me and attempt mitigation. I declined.

The local police were actually very helpful on other occasions. I left my coat and passport in a restaurant up by the canadian border and they called the restaurant and got them to keep it safe for me.

Another time, i was travelling to Montreal on the highway for my 40th birthday and was assisted across the border by canadian immigration when i helped calm down a young man who had been refused entry as he had no id and no money.. Immigration officer said thank you sir, off you go!

Many happy memories of visiting and living in the US.

USA car hire - international driving licence? - Smileyman

1987, week before Thatcher won the election, house was broken into, passport driving licence etc stolen. Week later with new passport and IDP (but not national licence as there was a strike at DVLC) I flew off to Toronto, hired a car there and later in the week at Montreal, using the IDP as only proof of entitlement to drive, still not sure if that was correct or not, but all these years later it's history.