In case you have missed it - DL Counterpart info - Dwight Van Driver

Wef from midnight tonight:

Driving Licence Counterpart (Sin Sheet on points) – scrapped.

Newly qualified will not be issued with it.

Past sins will be available on line at DVLA- to open you will need Licence No, YOUR NAT INSURANCE Number and Post Code.

Collecting points then Licence has to be handed in for endorsement to be added to DVLA record and then returned. (Many would suggest photocopying before doing so).

New Rules New Rules New Rules New Rules:-

………. when hiring car: Within 72 hours of hiring a car obtain a “check code” from DVLA using details as at Para 3 above which can be used by Hire Company to check your record. Can only be used once and only 5 requests in a 72 hour period.

Suggested Counterparts be kept and taken on holiday to be shown in case Hirer is unaware of changes.

Dvd

In case you have missed it - DL Counterpart info - gordonbennet

Going to be interesting for agency lorry drivers (if that 5 requests rule applies) that go to different clients every day, its guaranteed they will have to produce licence unless a known regular so with 5 requests in a 72 hour period agency drivers could be pushing it when things go wrong and they get a job cancelled after clarifying records or work for 2 short shift clients in one day.

In case you have missed it - DL Counterpart info - daveyjp
I've read a few posts on forums with people predicting the end of the hire car world as a result of this. My recent experience of hiring in Sardinia suggested all you need is a piece of paper which looks something like a license and you will get a car! Mine is the old type and he never even took it out of its sleeve.
In case you have missed it - DL Counterpart info - Avant

Once again, many thanks DVD for taking the trouble to tel us - much appreciated.

When hiring a car I suggest asking the question about this when booking: it seems that some hirers (e.g. Hertz) require this check code but others (e.g. Avis and Budget) don't.

Perhaps anyone hiring a car in the near future could let us know their experience.