Vauxhall Astra club - Help! My mechanic can't diagnose my Astra - Mature student John
Help needed in diagnosing please

Vauxhall Astra 2007 reg, engine power loss, felt like going to stall at traffic lights and so took to a mechanic for diagnosing and fixing.

1st suspicion - head gasket
Compression test results as follows:
Cyl 1 - 30PSI
Cyl 2,3,4 all between 170-180psi

Work reported to me went as follows:

Head stripped and sent to machine shop
Head "all done and returned to mechanic"
Valves reseated
Mechanic suspects valves were the cause, causing pitting causing no seal.
Allegedly a miscommunication with engineering guys - they didn't complete the valve lapping.

Piston rings appear to be ok, wet & dry readings result in no change - mechanic contacts engineering company to follow up on what occurred with head work. Mechanic orders 4 new hydraulic lifters.

No signs of cracked head, head was pressure checked and passed
New lifters fitted - no change. Mechanic explains there little more he can do besides remove the head again and recheck it.

Mechanic explains - "at the moment I'd have to remove the head again to see if I can find anything. There is no scoring on the bore. Wet compression test proved the piston rings are good. The valves are seated. The only thing I can think of is a hair line crack on the head that has been missed. As far as cost goes, there's the cost of the head gasket, head bolts and new oil" (plus labour, mechanic is currently asking for just shy of £500 for work up to this point, albeit undiagnosed and not fixed).

Mechanic goes on to explain:

Head has been skimmed
Head gasket replaced
A crack on the head may have been missed by machine shop and mechanic
There's little else that can be causing loss of compression

Mechanic currently believes that he needs to recheck the head as he's exhausted other possibilities including some checks on the valves, and spark plug threads.

What's missing? What hasn't been checked? What other info is required for an accurate diagnosis?

Thanks in advance

John
Vauxhall Astra club - Help! My mechanic can't diagnose my Astra - old-school-tech

cyl 1 30psi is very low, and i would have thought a noticable fault, very likely a poorly seating valve, but you would have thought the engineers might have picked up on this depending on what the technician asked them to do.

we generally send heads away for resurfacing and pressure testing, If he only asked them to resurface it then there's no reason they would have had to touch the valves.

either way it sounds like the head has to come off again, assuming the hydraulic lifters are in good order and not stuck open.

generally speaking when rebuilding these engines, if the lifters are going to be used again we make sure the oil is squeezed out to ensure they dont hold the valves open when trying to restart the engine.

it can take a while to get oil back into them, and often they run rough, if at all until this happens but its much better than the valve being held open when it should be closed for obvious reasons.

Vauxhall Astra club - Help! My mechanic can't diagnose my Astra - hardway

A simple compression leak back test would narrow it down,

Cheap testers cost around £30 from Ebay and the results are definative!

I'm supprised your tech hasn't got a tester,

No mechanic wants to waste their time and your cash on gueses!

It works by injecting air into the spark plug hole,

and a guage shows the cylinder holding pressure,

If 100 psi goes in and holding pressure is not 100 the escaping air can be heard where it's coming out,

Intake would be inlet valve,

exhaust would be exhaust and so on...

One other thing that seems to have been overlooked,

the camshaft it's self,

if the lobes are worn they will not open the inlet valve long enough to draw air in to be compressed!

Just a thought.

Get your tech to buy a compression leakback tester.

One question though,

Be exact,

The engine size and type would be the most help,

I.e is it an 16XEP?

Vauxhall Astra club - Help! My mechanic can't diagnose my Astra - Mature student John
Thanks

It's a 14xep
Just to clarify a few things:

He compression tested it after fitting it post machine shop

Took head off again, found valve seat issue, did something, refitted it and found compression hadn't improved
Vauxhall Astra club - Help! My mechanic can't diagnose my Astra - old-school-tech

Sounds like he's happy enough to keep you informed, The question is...How competent is he, Not saying he isn't, But low compression in 1 cylinder isn't too tricky to locate, especially since he's removed the head a second time.

There's only so much to check in there, rings, valves, head gasket, or cracks.

Vauxhall Astra club - Help! My mechanic can't diagnose my Astra - hardway

Reason I wanted the engine code is I had a spooky similar experience.

Head off,stripped and sent for planing.

Pressure tested and valve sealing checked and passed.

Rebuilt it only to find low compressions!!!

And after much testing,

re testing.

head scratching and eliminating evert possible,

i took out the cams,

compared them,

looked identival

BUT!

After checking thr Vaux TIS manual realised I had fitted the cams/sprokets the wrong way round.

Timing tools fited even though.

So re fited the cams so on TDC No1 the inlet cam lobe was pointing to the rear of the engine.

EX cam lobe cyl 1 pointing towrdas the engine front.

And if I rember right inlet lobe 2 pointing up and slightly to engine center,

Ex No 3 lobe pointing up and slightly towards engine center,

THEN FIT THE CAM LOCKING TOOL.

turned ke and brooooom!

Like I stated at the start of this,

all this sounds sooo familar.

Maybe your mechanic,like me,removed the cams and caps and followers before seding it to the engineers.

Brilliant tips thank you. I've passed these onto the mechanic and he said he going to double check accordingly. I'll post the results back on here. Thanks, J.
So the mechanic checked again and replied with:

"The cams are exactly as described, so the head will come off again to find out where the issue is"

Where's the missing piece in this puzzle? Any help much appreciated. J

The mechanic revisited the machine shop and allegedly received advice on carrying out the "wet test" which proved the piston ring as faulty. New quote is at £1100 including labour, parts, service, and MOT excluding any work done necessary if MOT fails.