Toyota Starlet - Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge - benjus

Hi!

I have a question about a 1998 Toyota Starlet (EP91). For the last 18 months of so the MIL has come on from time to time, usually when the engine is somewhere between cold and normal running temperature, but occasionally when it’s been warm for a while. I finally got around to getting a warning code from it, and it came back with 22, indicating an issue with the coolant temperature sensor.

I researched the correct part to buy, and decided that Cambiare VE375145 would do the job, so bought one from ebay for about £15. After installing it, the engine appeared to run fine, but I noticed that after a driving for a few minutes, the temperature gauge was right off the scale. I stopped and opened the bonnet, but there was nothing to indicate that the engine was actually overheating.

Once back home I re-fitted the old sensor, and the temperature gauge behaved normally again. Everything seemed fine so I left it. However, this morning from a cold start it wasn’t happy at all – at best it would idle slowly for a few seconds and with the MIL lit before cutting out. I put the new sensor back in, and it burst into life with no problems. But the temperature gauge was playing up again – when the engine is completely cold it shows a cold reading, but after idling for about 10 seconds the needle is at the middle of the scale, and when at warm running temperature the needle is way off the scale again.

So now I have:

Old sensor: temp gauge works, but engine won’t start properly
New sensor: temp gauge over-reads, but engine starts

Researching these sensors a bit more, it seems that this sensor contains 2 separate thermistors - presumably one for the ECU and one for the gauge. Which suggests that the ECU thermistor on the new sensor is OK but the gauge one is not. I'm not sure if it's faulty or just the wrong model.

A genuine Toyota sensor from Camskill costs £63 while a Facet one is listed for £32 (but I haven't found one in stock yet). Have I simply made the mistake of going for the cheapest?

Edited by benjus on 17/05/2015 at 19:23

Toyota Starlet - Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge - Oli rag

Just fit the correct Toyota sensor and I would suggest that your problem would disappear.

Have read many threads about sticking to genuine parts for sensor problems.

Toyota Starlet - Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge - Wackyracer

I would try your local Toyota franchised dealer. As Oli Rag has pointed out, Aftermarket sensors can be problematic.

Toyota Starlet - Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge - elekie&a/c doctor

As you have found ,a non genuine sensor is half the price,but only does half the job.As above ,get the real thing and job sorted.Non genuine sensors on a lot of cars just create faults that were not there previously.

Thanks for the replies - I'll try a Toyota dealer and see if I can get it cheaper than Camskill.

Genuine Toyota part arrived yesterday, car is fine now...

Thanks again

Toyota Starlet - Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge - alex f 557

I'm having the same issue, got a part from a local motor factors and it presented the same symptoms. Would my local toyota dealer still stock this part?

Toyota Starlet - Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge - Xileno

On an old car it's possible they might have to order it in - but only one way to find out...

Toyota Starlet - Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge - Andrew-T

On an old car it's possible they might have to order it in - but only one way to find out...

If they don't, have a look on E-bay.

Toyota Starlet - Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge - Crickleymal

Many garages round my way refuse to fit anything other than the OEM equipment especially with sensors. They've had various instances where a lookalike part has failed straight out of the packet.