Peugeot Boxer Horse Box - Tyure Life - Dsy

Hi,

Our 7 year old Equitrek horse box on a Peugeot Boxer chassis has about 15000 on the clock and is kept outside. It is running on the orginal Firestone tyres dated 2008 that have plenty of tread but I'm concerned about age deterioration in the rubber. Would you please advise whether the tyres need replacing and if so when?

Peugeot Boxer Horse Box - Tyure Life - gordonbennet

If it were me i'd have a very close inspection of the tyres, paying particular attention to the sidewalls near the beads, both sides that is, and look between the treads, you're looking for perishing, tiny cracks...check the entire circumference.

If the vehicle stands in the direct sun for long periods that will shorten tyre life considerably, as will allowing them to run at low pressure.

They're getting on a bit but i wouldn't be too worried if they show no signs of deterioration, if they show signs of cracking up then i'd change them.

Peugeot Boxer Horse Box - Tyure Life - skidpan

Exactly as gordonbennet say but I would like to add that if the vehicle spends a fair bit of time standing the tyres may have flatspots which will create a steering wheel wobble that will be both unpleasant and you will not be able to balance it out.

But are the tyres actually 7 years old or was the vehicle registered 7 years ago. In my experience tyres can be upto 2 years old before a vehicle is registered so check the date code on the sidewall. If by any chance they are 10 years old or more change them immediately even if they look OK.

So if you find any cracks or they are misshapen change them. If not keep a close eye on them since they are getting on a bit and change them at 10 years old regardless.

Peugeot Boxer Horse Box - Tyre Life - Dsy

Thanks Skidpan. Your point about flat spots is important for us especially when we have a 1 tonne+ horse in the back and we'll watch the driving characteristics loaded & unloaded. The date code on the tyres shows that they are the same year as the vehicle.

Peugeot Boxer Horse Box - Tyre Life - Dsy

Thanks gordonbennet. I need to rotate the tyres this year and I'll make a detailed inspection for the signs that you've identified.

What prompted me to raise the question is that in the last month we know two people who have had blowouts on their horseboxes whilst traveling on motorways fully loaded with horses (several tonnes on each box). Luckily they had double tyred rear axles although one had the inside second tyre blow as well when they were entered the nearest M25 service area very slowly. We don't have doubled tyred rear axles on our 3.5 tonne box.

Peugeot Boxer Horse Box - Tyre Life - gordonbennet

Thanks for coming back...good example to some posters who ask then vanish.

Inner wheels are difficult to examine properly, it's a case of getting down and dirty and in a typical busy stables isn't going to be a priority which it should, maintaining tyre pressures are doubly important on double tyred hubs as a visual check isn't good enough, too easy for a tyre to be low on pressure for months on end and it's partner is doing all the work, then when one goes it takes the other (which was nearly flat anyway) out too.

Most important to check the inner walls on all tyres single or double, sometimes they can start to crack up on the inside bead before showing deterioration anywhere else...sun damage isn't conrtibuting there but arguably the rubber never gets cleaned of contaminats either.

Make sure you know the correct tyres pressures for the expected load range, higher than some people think, if you want some advice call at a tyre shop that caters for lorries not just cars, the lads there will be able to advise you correctly and they'll check them for you too.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/05/2015 at 10:26