Petrol Focus Estate size car up to £1500 - Trilogy

I'm going to change my Focus diesel for a spacious petrol estate of similar size. I have a budget of up to £1500. So far I have thought of a Focus or a Corolla. Just wondering if I have missed any alternatives that are really good? I don't want to go back to a VAG car.

Petrol Focus Estate size car up to £1500 - Sam49

How about a Mitsubishi Lancer?

My parents own an 06 reg 1.6 (100bhp) Focus estate and a 52 reg 1.6 Corolla estate (the last shape Corolla, pre face-lift).

Focus nearly at 100k, Corolla well over 100k. Both have been fine and reliable cars. Space etc pretty much identical, Corolla has a bit more grunt.

I suspect finding a Corolla could be tricky, they're not a common sight. Plenty of Focuses though.

Petrol Focus Estate size car up to £1500 - Avant

Maybe worth putting petrol / estate / £1500 into Autotrader and see what comes up in your area. You might find a Volvo V50, although I'd guess it'll mostly be Focuses and Astras - in which case you'll be best off with another Focus - perhaps the 2.0 litre if you can find a good one. But as you know, condition comes first.

Petrol Focus Estate size car up to £1500 - gordonbennet

Bargainous, Daewoo/Chevy Lacetti.

Sam and Gordon, thanks for your left of field suggestions. Done some research on both, neither is spacious enough.

Sam, as you say there aren't many Corolla estates about. In a way I fancy a change from the Focus, even though I doubt the Toyota will be as much fun as a MK1 Focus.

Avant, I never thought a V50 could be within budget, yet they can be found just under £1500. Unfortunately not as spacious as a Focus. The Focus MK1 has a great amount of space as the suspension doesn't intrude. BTW, already done the £1,500 search on autotrader, nevertheless, thanks for the tip.

Focus has just gone through the MOT this week without any problems, so that gives me some breathing space. Rust on rear wheel arches is getting a bit too noticeable, but isn't worth fixing. Still, this will go down as one of the cheapest to run and most reliable cars I've ver owned.

Focus has just gone through the MOT this week without any problems, so that gives me some breathing space. Rust on rear wheel arches is getting a bit too noticeable, but isn't worth fixing.

Are you absolutely sure about that, i don't look too much at a car's book value when making such decisions, its what the car is worth to me and my judgement as to how long it will last with some reasonable TLC.

Have you got a handy little one man and his dog bodyshop who could give you a price on sprucing it up for another two or three years, a known reliable car devil you know and all that.

Wheel arches to do properly will be about £400. There is also a groove dent in a rear wing, so not just a push out job. I only paid £700 for it 2.5 years ago with the intention of keeping it two years. 138,000 when I bought it, now 176,000 and now due a major service too.

Update.

Been looking fir a Focus MK1 Ghia estate but nothing has come up within striking distance. This is good news because the end of this year should see my mileage reduce to c. 10,000 miles a year in future. So this will give me the opportunity o buy one of my favourite, characterful cars................a Subaru. I had a MK1 Legacy 2.2 GX estate in 1999 and loved it.

Options.

1. MK1 Forester Turbo, perhaps with an LPG conversion.

2. Legacy 2.0/2.5 estate from c. 2004 - my favourite shape.

3. Legacy Outback 3.0 with LPG conversion from c. 2002.

4. Use my W124 E300D estate as an every day, instead of as a classic, and perhaps buy a MK1 MX-5 as a fun/classic car.

Any comments/thoughts will be welcome.

Thanks.

Petrol Focus Estate size car up to £1500 - SteveLee

I like those 2004 onwards Legacy estates - quite a looker, particularly in silver - in your initial quest did you look at the Peugepot 307 SW? Dirt cheap and quite comfy - not that you're interested in that class of car anymore - I'm just interested!

Honda Accord estates are starting to creep into that price range with the preacticaly indestructable 2.4 VTEC although ABS units can fail - and SAAB 9-5 estate HOTs are available at that sort of price too - packed with kit - and punchy as hell. As a left field suggestion Rover 75 CDTi estates are supremely comfortable, pretty reliable and ecomomical - a potentiallt apreciating future classic in the making?

Petrol Focus Estate size car up to £1500 - corax

Options.

1. MK1 Forester Turbo, perhaps with an LPG conversion.

2. Legacy 2.0/2.5 estate from c. 2004 - my favourite shape.

3. Legacy Outback 3.0 with LPG conversion from c. 2002.

4. Use my W124 E300D estate as an every day, instead of as a classic, and perhaps buy a MK1 MX-5 as a fun/classic car.

Forester won't be that spacious despite being more boxy - remember it is an Impreza on stilts, with a correspondingly short wheelbase, although dog owners love it for the high roofline.

Are you looking at auto or manual? I would go for the torquier 2.5 or 3.0 Legacy if auto. I think the 2.0 would struggle.

Petrol Focus Estate size car up to £1500 - Happy Blue!

Advice from someone who owned a Mk1 Forester (non-turbo), a Mk2 Forester Turbo (2.0 XT) and an Outback 3.0 Rn.

All great cars, with very good ride (especially the Mk 1 Forester and the Outback). All sadly lacking in rear seat legroom, but very very comfortable in the front. The 3.0 is a real creamy flat six with a great wail as you accelerate.

Waiting for my son to pass his test and I think I might be back to Subaru....

We've got a 2002 H6 Outback and it's on LPG, does about 20 to 21 mpg general running about, £200 fully comp.

Wouldn't be surprised if this model has more room inside than the one that replaces it, either way SWMBO loves it, it goes like hell, the handling and sheer grip on its 16" 60 aspect Nokian Z's is staggering whilst giving a smooth ride over any ground, never had a vehicle that sticks to the road like it, she can take off at full power at any angle on any surface apart from ice/snow and the car just goes without the slightest wiggle, makes exiting junctions a breeze.

Silky gearbox, good brakes, huge sunroof plus aircon, lovely to work on these were designed to be maintained...apart that is from the spark plugs which took me well over 3 hours to change all 6 and i bore the scars on the backs of me mitts for weeks, luckily these don't really suffer CHG probs which the 4 cyl models sometimes do.

Trying desperately to think of something that we don't like about it, but nope can't think of anything, she'll have another when this dies.

One thing to check on Subarus, the inner front CV joints sit over the exhaust manifolds so as time goes by heat perishes the rubber boots and they split, you can see them from above if you peer down beside/behind the engine so easy to spot on a possible car.

I've done mine, they came apart easily being circliped for full dismantling, the model you are thinking of the drive shaft ends stay in the gearbox so no worries about oil seals, the inner CV joint is a spline fit with an easily removed roll pin that holds the shaft in place, you need a hub puller for the hub, possibly a ball joint seperator and thats the only special tools you need, first side took me about 2 hours whilst i figured it out, other side half that.

SteveLee, yes, I did consider a 307 SW in my initial quest. I drove one a few years ago along with a couple of 406 estates. They are superb to drive with a lovely ride, sharp steering and very refined too. Questions over reliabilty put me off the 307, while soft seats and poorly shaped loadspace put me off the 406. However, I do have a soft spot for the latter.

Happy Blue, corax and gb, thanks for the Subaru feedback. The Forester's lack of space has crossed my mind. If I went for one I'd quite possibly completely remove the back seat to create space. It is a bit of a mad choice, but I'd probably only keep one a short period of time, just to experience one in Turbo form.

I'm still open minded about a Legacy/Outback 3.0. Steve, your advice about 2.0 v 2.5 is good. I have read the 2.0 is a bit underpowered. GB, thanks for the CV advice etc. If I go 3.0 it would certainly have to be LPG, if so, would probably be already fitted.

BTW, 75 is too small inside, never liked the styling of the Accord estate. Already have a 9-3 hatch in the family - a great car - for me a Subaru would IMO be better than a 9-5.

Edited by Trilogy on 19/07/2015 at 22:41

Petrol Focus Estate size car up to £1500 - corax

Trying desperately to think of something that we don't like about it, but nope can't think of anything, she'll have another when this dies.

Yep, for the mileage I do, I can't think of anything I'd rather have at the moment.

Tough, practical, well engineered, and great fun to drive.

Petrol Focus Estate size car up to £1500 - SteveLee

Occasional dodgy clutches aside Subarus are generally excellent.