Rover 25 1.4 (2003) - Alarm, engine immobiliser or some other problem - tonyb42

Hello,
I have a silver 2003 Rover 25 1.4 Impression with 72,000 miles on the clock

The MOT expired back in January and the car has a SORN as we barely use it

I am getting things going to sell the car on and people keep telling me "just scrap it", but I am loathe to do this when someone else could still use it as a cheap first car or backup family runner.

When I first made an attempt to get it started after a few months out of action it had a flat battery after first thinking it was the engine immobiliser (and paying for the eka code and using the key turn sequence). Once that was charged, I got everything up and running, new battery in key fob and alarm reactivated ok.

However, a few days after getting the enginge going and the central locking working properly, the alarm started tripping of its accord, sometimes late at night (!). After a few more occasions it got progressively worse and my only choice for sanity was to leave the battery unplugged.

On the day I was booked in for an MOT I found after reconnecting the battery, the alarm would not deactivate easily and the engine failed to engage. After countless efforts with the key fob and trying the eka code sequence with door key (and using the method to add an extra turn on the 2nd and 4th numbers) I was unable to start the car again and had to cancel the MOT.

I am now stuck with a car I can't move and I suspect the alarm system might be at fault, does anyone have any suggestions or should I call in the scrap merchants? Happy to accept any early offers on the car (based in Harlow) for anyone willing to help get in going which normally would fetch £500-700 on autotrader

Thanks!