Citreon/C Crosser Diesel - Poor Winter Starting - Barry-J

I have a 57' C Crosser (Diesel) with just under 75K miles and every winter poor starting-Glowplugs lights up 3-5second.Then turn the key but it always hesitates sometime needing a second key turn .New Battery Installed (bosch S5) and the usual electrical checks Alternator voltage etc via citreon all show nothing wrong..I had a issue a couple of years ago with Fuel filter etc.. In summer the car starts ina fraction of a second..So last winter (albeit a mild one in my area).I decided to try a heater under the battery and one on the oil sump.And hey presto it starts almost perfectly..So my question..does anyone else have similar issues and am I just Masking/hiding a deeper issue..I would be very greatful if anyone could help me answer is this normal or ?.I was thinking of getting a INLINE heater for the cooling system which i have seen on my travels to Sweden or russia and germany..But again anyone with direct experience please ormaybe glow plugs etc.. but all checked via citreon :( ..many thanks to any advice Barry

Citreon/C Crosser Diesel - Poor Winter Starting - Manatee

So it starts? Nothing wrong with it then:)

Maybe something is a bit marginal. Check the earth straps on the battery and engine?

Does depressing the clutch while starting help it a bit? Can't see it making much difference but it would be interesting if it did. I suppose we'll have to wait until November to find out now!

Citreon/C Crosser Diesel - Poor Winter Starting - dieselnut

The starter motor might be a bit slugish.

Has anyone checked if the glow plugs are getting power & actually glowing.

Citreon/C Crosser Diesel - Poor Winter Starting - focussed

All preheat systems have a built in feature nowadays whereby the glow plugs remain energised after the indicator light has gone out, this is to reduce start-up smoke.

Try delaying starting the engine for about 5 seconds after the light has gone out.

Citreon/C Crosser Diesel - Poor Winter Starting - Barry-J

many thanks to everyone for their advice !! lets see what next winter brings and i will try your suggestions (clutch check/earth straps/GLow plugs etc) .It was just in the local dealer for its 75K service and i stressed the issue and they have checked and confirmed the glow plugs are working and do not need changing..! But i might bight the bullet and wait until Autumn and get them done anyway.Last time they said it was needing a battery .. :( .

Anyway I am installing a in line heater that is used in sweden and colder climates to keep the oil and water warm .. so let see

If anyone else has a C Crosser on a 57 plate it would be good to know how they too get on.. battery voltages etc etc please.!

Again thanks everyone..

Citreon/C Crosser Diesel - Poor Winter Starting - Gibbo_Wirral

Does your car have a DPF? If so the glow plugs are used a lot during regeneration, and their life can be shortened if you do lots of short trips and it has to regenerate more.