International Driving Licence - paul45

Hi All,

We travelled a bit last year through Western US in an RV, which was great fun, and having done some research my friend and I who were rented the vehicle together invested a few quid on an international driving licence.

I think we did this on the basis of better safe than sorry in terms of insurance liabilities.

I've never done this in Europe, but I may now have convinced myself I need to do this for th US, with another trip planned in September what do other BR's reckon to the value of a the international driving licence.

I think the cost was about £12 and we had to find a main post office in order to apply for this.

Finally I heard a snippet on the radio news yesterday, but didn't catch the message. Any thoughts / opinions gladly received.

Thanks

Paul

International Driving Licence - jc2

There is no such thing-the document is just a translation of your current license-hardly needed for the US whose language is similar but not identical to that of the UK.

International Driving Licence - Bromptonaut

Here's what the AA say in subject of an International Driving Permit, which I think is what you mean.

www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html

International Driving Licence - slkfanboy

Never used one or needed one. I think they are a fallback to the days when we only had english on the licence and france etc would not accept them.

International Driving Licence - Bromptonaut

They were required for Spain, as was a 'Bail Bond' until seventies or beyond and my Father used to get one from the AA in advance of our annual motoring holiday. By time I was driving in Europe, 1991 on, they were no longer needed unless venturing beyond EU territory.

Still plenty places where still needed/advised including possibly some US States.

International Driving Licence - Smileyman

My dad used to buy an IDP when we went too the Continent for holidays - I think it was Switzerland that required them (might be wrong) - later on (1980's & 1990's) I used to buy the IDP for use overseas including USA & Canada, in 1987 I even hired a car in Toronto using the IDP without the main licence (licence had been stolen a week earlier) but nowadays I don't bother. Why - because back then the UK driving licence did not have a photogragh, nowadays it does, and anyway, in the USA everyone who asks for ID expects to see the driving licence - UK accepted without problem. (Except at the border when passports are still required).

International Driving Licence - Brit_in_Germany

I vaguely remember some change being talked about last year or so but this was quickly withdrawn.

International Driving Licence - colinh

Came in useful as an emergency measure once - was working abroad and lost my UK licence in a mugging - was going to the States for a holiday and didn't have time to get a replacement UK licence. So went to local AA office (do they still have them?), and they issued an IDP on the spot after contacting DVLA

International Driving Licence - Graham567

Just got back from Louisiana and hired a car from Hertz using my old fashioned paper driving license(no photo).They didn't ask to see my passport either.Petrol is $2.20 a gallon. They gave me a Chevvy Impala 3.5 V6 brand new with only 2000 miles on the clock.Very impressed with it.Smooth,quiet and well built.Not so much with the mpg which was around 17 round town and 27 on the motorway.But at those prices who cares?