Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Replacement battery - Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - myusernameunavailable

Hi all

I own a 2008 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol. Couple of days ago the battery on it went flat. I called up AA guys for a jumpstart (and to establish the reason behind battery dying all of a sudden).

The guy was helpful and jumpstarted the car. left is the engine running for good 10-15 min. but as soon as he removed the battery charger the car died..he said the battery is done for good and i needed to replace it.) The multimeter (or whatever that device is) gave him the following readings

VOLTS - 11.29V

MEASURED - 62 EN (A)

RATING - 390 EN (A)

He was asking me to pay around 85 pounds for a 079 type battery which he said was the right fit. However i decided against paying because a quick google quoted me max 45 for the battery

My questions are

1. When searching for a battery online is the battery type (in this case 079) + volts (12V) enough? Do i have to know any thing else to order the right battery online? Does more amp mean better performance/extended life? According to the readings above, it looks like i need a 390 amp battery. But could i get a say 540 one as well?

2. Are Bosch any better than Excide (Or AA)? I have the original ford battery in there right now.

3. How easy is it to change the battery on own? Its a smaller (than normal) battery.

4. And most importantly going by the readings above, do the battery ACTUALLY need changing :) ??

Any feedback is much appreciated. Do let me know if my questions are not clear and i wil try to put more details.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Replacement battery - Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - slkfanboy

VARTA & Excide are the most respected battery makers. Bosch are badged versions.

A battery with only 11.29v is dead. A better battery generaly has better CCA (Cold Crank Amp) so 540 is better.

There seams to be a number of battery types for 2008 1.6's so be careful to get the correct type. If you intent to keep the car then go for a better 3yr warrantied battery

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Replacement battery - Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - skidpan

Don't Fords need a special battery, something to do with the alternator.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Replacement battery - Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - myusernameunavailable

Don't Fords need a special battery, something to do with the alternator.

i did not know that. might as well give my ford dealer a call and ask. any suggesstions on reliable online retailers to buy them from ?

VARTA & Excide are the most respected battery makers. Bosch are badged versions.

A battery with only 11.29v is dead. A better battery generaly has better CCA (Cold Crank Amp) so 540 is better.

There seams to be a number of battery types for 2008 1.6's so be careful to get the correct type. If you intent to keep the car then go for a better 3yr warrantied battery

thanks a lot for your reply. yes i intend to keep the car for long. i am going to go through the service book to find the exact make of the battery (hoping its somewhere in there)

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Replacement battery - Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Galaxy

The Ford Focus must be fitted with a calcium-type battery. Fitting a traditional lead-type will upset the Ford charging system and cause all sorts of problems.

I replaced the battery on my Ford Mondeo with a Bosch, which I purchased from Euro Car Parts. Don't buy batteries in Halfords, by the way, because they charge and absolute fortune. The Bosch was OK but there were a couple of odd things which the car did afterwards that it didn't do before. It could have been just due to the fact that I had completely disconnected the battery for a little while, or it could have been connected with actually fitting a Bosch battery instead of a Ford one. Never found what the problem was before I got rid of the car.

If I needed a new battery for my present Mondeo then I think I'd buy a genuine Ford one. Even doing that would be cheaper than buying a battery in Halfords! Also, if I did have to change it, I would fit a considerably larger battery than the one that's fitted at the moment.

When I purchased this car a couple of years ago I was really surprised when I pulled the plastic cover off to reveal the battery. It's only a 43 AH which I personally consider very tiny! I would fit at least a 60 AH should I need to replace it. There's plenty of room on the battery tray to fit a much larger battery but this is something which obviously needs to be checked before purchase.

I suppose Fords are fitting smaller batteries now in order to save money during manufacture!

Edited by Galaxy on 27/04/2015 at 17:50

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Replacement battery - Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - quizman

I would get a Varta Silver fromwww.tayna.co.uk/Varta-Car-Batteries-S218-1.html?or...=

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Replacement battery - Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Wackyracer

There is only 2 brands of battery that I would recommend, Varta and Exide.

I had a Fulmen (Exides heavy duty) battery on the car for 14 years before I changed it.

The Varta silver has been on the car since 2006 and gives an instant start (you don't hear any cranking at all).

thanks to all who have replied. your reply has been hugely helpful.

i was trying to find the right battery part for my car and since the entire description is hidden by a clamp, all i could see was 6G9N-10655-LA - 12V - 65RC. could someone please point what is the part number and type (i was told it is a 079) ?

i have tried googling this 6G9N-10655-LA and i did find the battery but not sure if its the right one.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Replacement battery - Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Galaxy

Well, it says 6G9N-10655-LA - 12V - 65RC on the label on the Ford battery on my Mondeo, but it also says 43 AH 390A which are the Ampere/Hour and Cranking Current ratings. So, I would guess, it's the same battery.

However, as mentioned in my other post, if I ever had to replace my battery, then I personally would fit a much larger one (Capacity-wise).

The battery you have in your car is shown here on the Ebay website:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Car-Battery-12v-43Ah-390a-...a

And, no, you don't have to buy one from Germany, they will be avaiable in this country from your local Ford Main Dealer! Should you wish to replace your existing battery with a larger one then I'm sure they'll have those too.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Replacement battery - Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol - Wackyracer

I think the right one for the Focus is an 075.

thanks for your reply.

i have just had a quote from my local ford dealer for a new battery replacement with CCA of 590 which works out with the fitting cost of £148.60 Inc VAT on a 3 year warranty

it is costiler than buying it online and getting it fitted but i am tempted to go and get it done with.

decisions decisions!!