Ford Fiesta - insurance class car or van? - Fleabie36

hoping someone can help, I purchased car insurance for 17yr old. Was told it was a Ford fiesta 1.4tdc, log book also says just that. Found car insurance with black box under 3k, when I saw the car it has 2 seats and no rear seats, rear Windows replaced with metal and metal behind passenger seats blocking off the boot. Now I'm thinking it's a van and the lowest van insurance is 7k. Can anyone tell me if this car insurance stands? It's use is for him to get to college and commuting to work.

thanks

Ford Fiesta - insurance class car or van? - RobJP

You aren't making any sense. You BOUGHT the car insurance before seeing the vehicle and buying it ?

If / when you gave the insurance company the details, then I'd have expected them to be able to see on their systems and the DVLA database if it's a van or car. If it's been modified by an owner from a car to a van, then legally it is still a car. But you'll have to declare the modifications to the insurance company, or else they may void the policy if a claim takes place.

What does the V5 say, car or van ?

Yes unfortunately I purchased the insurance before seeing it, my son's boss got it from a relative and as my son's car has an oil leak and his boss cannot drive he needed my son to be the main driver, so for 3 days apart from the registration and make of the car I had nothing else until the v5 turned up, it states Ford fiesta tdci. 2 axle rigid, 1585kg, light goods vehicle. It came up with insurers as titanium. That evening when it was insured he collected it and brought it home. Unfortunately I couldn't see it as just out of hospital after op. I don't know if it's had modifications the other person bought it as it is in the first place.

Ford Fiesta - insurance class car or van? - skidpan

This sounds very suspicious. Ford never made a van in Titanium spec and they never made a Ttanium spec car with o rear seats and windows.

It could well be a ringer, be very careful.

On van insurance it comes up as it should some say van some Just say 1.4 Ford fiesta and the correct colour, on the car insurance sites it either comes up as cannot find from ref or titanium? It's definately not a titanium it's 57 plate and has the previous style nose on it. My daughter has a. 55 plate and its the same as that.

Ford Fiesta - insurance class car or van? - skidpan

If its a van it MUST be insurred as a van, any less and your son will be driving with an incorrectly insurred vehicle and when caught will find himself in all sorts of grief. If the worst happened and he had an accident whilst incorrectly insurred he would find himself with the law landing on him very hard indeed and no cover to apy for the damage.

If you cannot afford the £7K sell the van and buy a car.

If your son is using the car for his employers business it must be insurred for that as well.

Ford Fiesta - insurance class car or van? - Aakriti

Yes, his car insurance stands..how hard would it be to change the class of my fiesta van from van to car? i know i have to do rear seats and windows but would it have to go in to be tested or could i just tell the dvla and provide pics as evidence?

Ford Fiesta - insurance class car or van? - RobJP

You'd have to get it inspected : think seat mountings, seatbelt mountings, etc.

Even then, I'm not sure if they will ever re-classify it from van to car

Ford Fiesta - insurance class car or van? - TedCrilly

Why dont you discuss it with the insurance company, at the end of the day its them calling the shots regardless of what anyone in here might think.

Or am I just thinking too hard?

Ford Fiesta - insurance class car or van? - slkfanboy

The HPI system has the wrong details, this has happened to me. Basically it's a van and currently your son is not insured to drive that class.