Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - MetManMark

We are thinking about buying a new car. So far shortlisted a volvo v60, merc b class and honda civic (thanks in part to these forums). My wife is French and typically we go over to France a couple of times a year. I seem to remember reading that some cars have a switch that modifies the angle of the headlight beam. Is this right or is this something I dreamt? If such a scheme does exist which cars offer this?

Thanks

Mark

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - elekie&a/c doctor

Some older cars have a lever in the back of the headlight to shift the beam pattern.However on most modern cars ,the design of the headlights means access to the rear of the light is almost impossible without a major strip down.Best you can do is put the levelling switch ,located on the dash,to its lowest position.Majority of current cars have flat beam headlight pattern,so the "kick up "to the left is not as severe .I think some of the MB or Bmw models have auto recognition of driving on the right and adapt the headlight beam automatically.

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - focussed

I live in France and drive uk sourced vehicles so have the expense of changing light units to dip to the right units.

I looked at changing to a Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 recently and asked Mitsubishi UK as to whether the HID headlights could be changed for driving on the right.

Their reply- which I don't fully understand:-

I can confirm that it is not necessary to use deflectors on your headlamps whilst driving in France in your Outlander GX4 as this vehicle is equipped with high intensity discharge headlamps. However, it will be necessary to turn off the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) - for instructions on this procedure please refer to the owner’s manual.

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - jc2

Some older cars have a lever in the back of the headlight to shift the beam pattern.However on most modern cars ,the design of the headlights means access to the rear of the light is almost impossible without a major strip down.Best you can do is put the levelling switch ,located on the dash,to its lowest position.Majority of current cars have flat beam headlight pattern,so the "kick up "to the left is not as severe .I think some of the MB or Bmw models have auto recognition of driving on the right and adapt the headlight beam automatically.

You might have problems convincing French police that dropping the level of the lights works.I tried it-it may work on straight autoroutes but when I left them for the local roads,it was positively dangerous-I parked up,reset to the correct height and put tape on.At least you could drive at a reasonable speed AND see where you were going.You can buy convertors now for virtually all cars.Your life(and your families') are worth a lot more than saving a few pounds.

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - Avant

With modern headlamps I'm sure it won't be a mechanical switch any more. My Octavia vRS has the means of changing from RHD to LHD as part of the Amundsen 'infotainment' system, so I'm sure that this must be available o other makes of car as well.

I had a good long test drive in a Volvo V60 with the D4 diesel engine and was very impressed. Its performance and comfort would make it ideal for driving to and through France.

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - artill

I had a Peugeot 407 coupe. It had xenon,s that pointed where you stear. That had an option in the menu to switch from lhd to RHD settings. I have no idea what other cars have this.

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - Hamsafar

Some need beam benders, some need you to move a lever at the back of the light to put a shield in the beam that removes the left dip, some need you to enable tourist solution in the car's menus,a nd others need an adaptation via a computer plugged into the diagnostic port. Most jsut make the beam symetrical (not dipped to either side) so it can be used in LHD & RHD countries.

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - Noel Borg

Hi I have a 407 coupe RHD and I bought it from UK and I wont to live in Italy but I cannot seem to find the lever to change the Headlamp pattern to right-hand traffic, and to register my car it will fail the MOT in Italy, any advise please? and where can I buy a new aftermarket set?

Peugeot 407 coupe HDI 2L 163HP 2009 with xenon directional headlamps Hella.

all I have in the menu is to switch off the directional HL only, nothing for RHD TO LHD.

I been searching long time but from a Peugeot forum they show a picture of a SW totally difrent then mine.

kind regards NB

Edited by Noel Borg on 25/11/2021 at 20:43

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - Mike H

I've got the opposite situation to you - we live in Austria but visit the UK a couple of times a year. Our Saab came with us from the UK, but I bought a couple of LHD headlamps (xenons to match the originals) from Ebay almost as soon as we moved. The beam is sort of flat, but has a step in the beam to give a slightly higher flat section for the nearside. I used beam benders in the UK up until last year, but it was always a hit and miss affair getting them in the right place to give a properly adapted beam, without a raised section. For the last year I have simply been adjusting the beams down for the UK, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems. I actually get decent illumination of the verge while I'm in the UK, because the lights are aimed lower.

So in summary, as long as you can get to the adjusters, it probably doesn't matter which car you get.

Edited by Mike H on 26/04/2015 at 11:04

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - badbusdriver

Hi I have a 407 coupe RHD and I bought it from UK and I wont to live in Italy but I cannot seem to find the lever to change the Headlamp pattern to right-hand traffic, and to register my car it will fail the MOT in Italy, any advise please? and where can I buy a new aftermarket set?

Peugeot 407 coupe HDI 2L 163HP 2009 with xenon directional headlamps Hella.

all I have in the menu is to switch off the directional HL only, nothing for RHD TO LHD.

I been searching long time but from a Peugeot forum they show a picture of a SW totally difrent then mine.

kind regards NB

Found this on a Peugeot forum from some years ago re going to France:

"Yes it can be done i do it every time i go abroad with my car which is fitted with xenons. Try this.

WORK ON THE LIGHTS OPPOSITE THE BATTERY FIRST,
(IT IS EASIER TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING)
On the rear of the light cluster you have the BIG round rubber seal (the
one you pull off to change a bulb. Behind it you have the red box
attached to the rear of the bulb...DO NOT TOUCH, it is a pig to get back
on and connect the wires to it. To the side of it (radiator side) you
have a little metal lever (It is quite deep in there and hard to reach)
It has "O" & "T" marked next to it, Put it on "T" and it should give you
a flat beam. both light cluster buttons are on the raditor side, one
side is up for the "T" while the other is down for the "T".

Note the lever is very hard to see the first time."

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - FP

I was concerned enough about this to ask at the dealership I bought the car from, which is a Mazda CX-5. I was told the beam pattern is flat and no adjustment nor stickers are necessary. I have to say it does look, when I drive towards the garage, that the beam is pretty flat and not "kicked up" to the left.

But do "les flics" know this? Maybe it's worth sticking some black tape on in fairly random off-centre positions.

Edited by FP on 25/11/2021 at 21:17

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - Noel Borg

I've seen it on the Peugeot forum they are for 407 SW or the for door model I dont have red box and my seal is with special screws not rubber, I even uploaded a video and pictures on the Forum, but no success. im thinking as its the latest model maybe it has settings in the OBD2 but I doubt it. Thanks just the same. NB

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - Smileyman

I've enjoyed this problem for over 40 years now, in my younger days for the motorhome with circular "lucas" headlamps we used clip on yellow plastic adapters, later on used white ones and later still in another car (when I was 20) I used a square plastic adapter - but I do recall noticing the light was dimmer than other vehicles (was never sure if the H4 headlamp reflector was poorer quality or the cover restricted light output).

Fast forwards a few years and I moved to black masking tape or clear stick on plastic converters over the section that ticks upwards, (the adapters were better but did leave small marks on the cover of the headlamps on the Primera's Xenons). Most recently - last August - I purchased but didn't bother fitting more plastic stick ons for the Toledo as I could not easily decide where to put the beam benders, and anyway it was summer and I did very little driving in darkness. Eventually I figured out what seemed to be a suitable spot and these are in hand for the next trip, whenever it will be. No guidance in the SEAT manual and I can't recall whether I approached SEAT customer services for assistance.

Switch for swapping headlights for driving abroad - Big John

Don't make the mistake I did a few years ago of using black tape to blank out rhd beam. It eventually after a few years of fitting each time I went abroad caused plastic headlight crazing, I think the black absorbs too much heat - Used Eurolites later on which were much better but still not great.

I made it a deal breaker when I replaced my car last time. I (well did) drive into Europe a lot. Fortunately the 2014 Superb had levers (albeit tiny) to adjust to a flat beam so all good. Next car this will be important...

I think some modern higher models (not all) automatically adjust or have a "tourist" mode. Some LED versions without this produce a flat beam that doesn't need adapting for European driving.

Edited by Big John on 26/11/2021 at 20:47