ford focus - overheating - partlann
Hi I have a 01 ford focus it has started to overheat.
I have changed the thermostat valve and water pump.
When it starts to overheat the needle goes to red when I slow down it returns to the middle. On occasion I had to pull off the road and open the water tank when I do that I can here a gurgling sound coming from the coolant hose that Leeds to the back of the engine.
Any ideas what I could do next?
ford focus - overheating - S40 Man

Did you get an airlock? Leave cap loose with engine on when filling coolant.

Does the heater work. Old school temperory solution is to drive round with the heater on to get rid of extra heat. Not so much fun in summer.

ford focus - overheating - partlann
Driving to work this morning it was good for 3-4 kilometres then it started to overheat again turned on fan and heater to full it worked a bit needle was into red and back again a few times.I cleaned out the sensor there was a little bit of grit inside it and the connection was a little bit loose had to get another one. I'll see how that works out when engine is cold ill go for a long drive.
ford focus - overheating - Galaxy

Did it overheat before you changed the water pump? If not, you need to make absolutely sure that the replacement pump was a Focus pump and not a Mondeo one. Same engine, but these two pumps run in opposite directions due to the arrangement of the auxilliary belt. The pumps look identical apart from the impeller.

Here's another thread about another Ford Focus that keeps overheating. There are some more ideas for what the problem could possibly be here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95156

ford focus - overheating - Peter.N.

The old problem used to be that the radiator had furred up but modern coolants shouldn't allow that to happen unless there has ever been a leak and it has been topped up with tap water.

ford focus - overheating - james1089

With the engine running do you see water returning to header tank from the narrow pipes?

ford focus - overheating - james1089

In those narrow pipes are 2 restrictors with a 2mm hole. Flushing system loosens dirt which inturn plugs the narrow holes. The pressure forces the restrictors down the pipes so will have to check by feeling where they are, I cut the pipes dead centre of the restrictors. Removed cleaned and put back and coupled the pipes back together. I would not remove the restrictors they are there for areason. So if you don't see water flowing back to the header tank thats the reason. Fitting brand new anti-freeze somewhat masks the problem but you will have suspicions something isn't quite right, how many Fords have been scrapped cause of this I wouldn't like to guess.