Audi TT - Selling a car privately taking off private plates - lucklesspedestrian

Hi there

I've just taken a deposit from a private buyer for our Audi TT which has a private plate on it. We would like to keep the plate and put it on retention and put the original plates (we physically have them) back on the car for the new owner. I realise this will cost us £105.

Can anyone advise what the quickest way to do this is please?

I realise now with hindsight I should have got this sorted before putting the car on the market.

Ideally I would like to be able to hand the car over to the new owner next week with the old plates on it, I'm hoping I can just pop into my local DVLA office and they will sort it there and then without having to wait for paperwork to be sent back to me and delaying the sale.

Any advise would be very welcome, thanks

Audi TT - Selling a car privately taking off private plates - Doc

It can take up to 4weeks to get the retention certificate.

I would recommend that you do not release the vehicle until you have the new V5c and cert.

The DVLA will decide which new number goes on the car.

I do not think there are any local offices left, so you will have to send the required forms to Swansea.

Audi TT - Selling a car privately taking off private plates - jamie745

The DVLA will simply reissue the original plates. My Jaguar has had two private plates in its lifetime, it's currently on the plates the car came with. They won't invent a new plate for it.

Not sure on the fastest way to get this done. On the two occasions I've bought a car with a private plate, the numberplate on the car when I went to view it was already registered to another car (the owner took the plate with them) but they changed the plate to its original when I bought it.

Audi TT - Selling a car privately taking off private plates - Doc

The DVLA will simply reissue the original plates. My Jaguar has had two private plates in its lifetime, it's currently on the plates the car came with. They won't invent a new plate for it.

I have had a different number issued.

As the original ended in 7J perhaps they thought they could sell it at one of their auctions!

Audi TT - Selling a car privately taking off private plates - RobJP

As Doc has said.

DVLA do seem to be a bit random regarding how long transfers take, and it seems very much dependent on the state of the car market (which varies from month to month : I did one in December 2013 which took 5 days (including a weekend!) to get onto retention. Putting the plate onto the replacement car in January 2014 took 3 weeks, however.

Get it in ASAP, and hope for the best.

Audi TT - Selling a car privately taking off private plates - Bromptonaut

Pretty much what others say.

Mrs B has a cherished plate, oringinally issued in 1951 and placed on a motorbike given to her mother as a 21st birthday present. Three significant letters and the number 21. Transfering it from retention to our 2005 Berlingo and from that to the new one we bought in 2013 were both relatively painless. Even easier now as there's no longer a need to present the vehicle at the local DVLA office.

On second transfer the 05 car simply reverted to its original plate which became non transferable.

I hope your purchaser knows he's not got the private plate as part of the deal.

Audi TT - Selling a car privately taking off private plates - John F

Last year I bought a car with a private plate from a vendor who wished to keep it for his new car. He was presumably too busy to do the paper work. Eventually, he had to post his completed form to me plus a cheque for £80 to the DVLA and trust me to send them on to the DVLA together with my V5c and MoT certificate. I was pleased to receive its original reg number as I was fed up having to explain a distinctive but (to me) meaningless moniker.