Astra Elite 1.6v - Automatic gearbox - kb65

My car has just had a full service through a vauxhall dealer/garage and they told me that there was a slight misting of oil coming from the pipe to the gearbox but ticked all the green boxes on the vehicle health check sheet and said it wasnt anything to worry about. A couple of days ago (2 weeks after this service|) my car started to rev really high before changing gear (my car is automatic) and as I got to a junction and after hearing a loud noise, it wouldn't move at all. I called the RAC and they linked my car up to their computer and it picked up that there was low pressure in the gear box due to low oil. My car had to get towed to a garage and they have just informed me that I need a new automatic gearbox and torque converter and that the cost would be £2600 (for reconditioned parts). I took out an extened warranty (a big con) when I bought the car two and a half years ago but they have said as there is a claim limit of £2000 I would have to pay the balance.

Surely the garage who done the full service should have checked the oil and seen that it was low, which probably would've prevented the damage to the gearbox in the first place. Can you please let me know your thoughts as I feel the Vauxhall dealer/garage is part to blame for this.

Astra Elite 1.6v - Automatic gearbox - RobJP

No. Checking gearbox oil is a major undertaking on most cars, and not something that is done on any service.

You could try getting something out of the garage, but I don't think you'd get anywhere.

Astra Elite 1.6v - Automatic gearbox - John F

No. Checking gearbox oil is a major undertaking on most cars......

Not on our 2000 auto Focus. It has a dipstick.

I am puzzled by 'a slight misting of oil coming from the pipe to the gearbox'.

Would that be the gearbox dipstick pipe? Does it have a dipstick? Is it the model which can allow coolant to mix with the ATF?

Hi, it doesnt have a dip stick and the very slight leak was coming from a pipe as you look through the top of the engine (so the RAC showed me). Sorry but as you will probably tell from my reply, I'm female and not up on these things! It's an Astra Elite 1.6v automatic 60 plate. Only had it two years and although mileage was 46000 when i bought it (it was an ex fleet car 2 years old, I have only done 10,000 in it in 2 and a half years.

Sorry to hear this story. It looks as though there is a well known problem with some Astras where the coolant leaks into the autobox and ruins it. I don't know if that applies to your model. I hope you get a more authoritative response from someone with more knowledge of GM's Opel/Vauxhall mechanicals. I see some are made by Aisin, a reputable Japanese autobox manufacturer.

After now having a "reconditioned" gearbox and torque converter fitted, there still seems to be problems with the car when it tries to change gear. The revs are now going up to 3000 before the gears change and the car sounds and if it's struggling. Something is clearly not right. It's never seemed right with gear change since I bought it, but when I took it back to CarGiant a week after buying it, they said it was normal! If the gearbox is struggling then am I going to end needing another gearbox? I think I'll be phoning Vauxhall Customer Service tomorrow.