Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - silla

I bumped into a car last week and broke the indicator of a side wing mirror of the other car. I want to compensate for the damage without claiming the insurance. The owner of the car (A Suzuki Grand Vitara) presented a quote of £212.60, most of which for labour (4 hours). I have asked to have another quote. I wanted him to take it to a garage I know, or at least somewhere else. He said the other garage is not handy enough, as for location etc. I would like to know what is the best procedure in this situation, if I have the right to more than a quote, and if he can claim my insurance without my approval.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - RobJP

In law, the other driver has the right to DEMAND your insurance details, and to then make a claim against you. Failure to give those details is a criminal offence.

In short, you have absolutely no rights at all. If it goes through insurance it will end up costing you a lot more, due to loss of NCD, an accident being recorded against you, etc. Pay up.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - Doc

In law, the other driver has the right to DEMAND your insurance details, and to then make a claim against you. Failure to give those details is a criminal offence.

I don't think this is correct.

My understanding is that you only have to give insurance details if personal injury is involved.

If any personal injury is caused to another person, the driver must also produce a valid insurance certificate if asked to do so by a police officer, injured person, or anyone else directly or indirectly involved in the accident. If the insurance certificate is asked for, but not produced at the time, the accident must be reported to a police station as soon as practicable, or in any case within 24 hours, and the insurance certificate must be taken to a police station within seven days of the accident. However if the driver is asked at the time of the accident to produce insurance details and does so, there is no further obligation to report the accident to the police, as long as they have complied with the duties described above.

(Quote from CAB)

Edited by Doc on 19/03/2015 at 15:14

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - Falkirk Bairn

On a Honda Civic, years ago, i needed a replacement electric /heated door mirror.

Watched the chap do it - time from start to finish 11 mins - I was charged 30 mins time as that was the standard time in the book. £100+ for the part and £30 for time + VAT about £155 in total.

I don't think this is correct.

My understanding is that you only have to give insurance details if personal injury is involved.

If any personal injury is caused to another person, the driver must also produce a valid insurance certificate if asked to do so by a police officer, injured person, or anyone else directly or indirectly involved in the accident. If the insurance certificate is asked for, but not produced at the time, the accident must be reported to a police station as soon as practicable, or in any case within 24 hours, and the insurance certificate must be taken to a police station within seven days of the accident. However if the driver is asked at the time of the accident to produce insurance details and does so, there is no further obligation to report the accident to the police, as long as they have complied with the duties described above.

(Quote from CAB)

Keep on reading, you nearly got to the relevant part !

Two lines further, it says :

In the case of a damage-only accident, the driver must give insurance details to anyone who may wish to make a claim against them.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - Doc

I stand corrected!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - FP

As others have said, the OP is in a weak position, legally and morally. He's entirely responsible for the damage.

Why should the victim take the car to a garage the OP knows well? Indeed, why should he trust the OP at all?

I don't think the OP has a right to insist on another quotation for the repair - in fact, he has precious few rights in this situation. If he wishes to argue about the cost of the repair he would have to get the other driver to take him to a small claims court, which is unlikely to happen.

I think the OP will just have to accept that his insurance company will be involved, even if they do not pay out. They will be involved anyway, because the accident will have to be reported to them.

Sorry to be yet another bearer of bad news - but that's how I see it.

Edited by FP on 19/03/2015 at 16:00

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - galileo

I think the OP will just have to accept that his insurance company will be involved, even if they do not pay out. They will be involved anyway, because the accident will have to be reported to them.

At renewal time, if you don't declare the accident they will have a reason to not pay out on a future claim. You should report it to them, making it clear that it is a "Report" and NOT a "Claim", I think the small print of your policy will state this anyway.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - gordonbennet

That quote i'd be snatching the other party's hand off, and buy them a nice bottle of wine or two for their decent attiude in not going straight for whiplash compensayshun and a credit hired 5 series via a £5k+ claim.

Why should the victim take the car to a garage the OP knows well? Indeed, why should he trust the OP at all?

He should trust the OP just because I stopped to leave my cell phone number ("the victim" was not there at the moment of the accident). I do not know the garage "well", I just used them for a repair but I trust them. "The victim", on the other hand, is trying to take advantage of the situation. He is taking the car to a no VAT registered and quoting for an amount of money which is not proportioned to the damage.

Thanks for your advise anyway in getting the insurance involved, I didn't know that I was obliged to do it. (I read the small print and it doesn't say, but if this is the procedure...)

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - Hamsafar

If someone tried to pursuade me to go to another garage after showing them the humilty of avoiding their insurer, I would cut off communication and make a claim against them. You can't get much done on a car for under £200 let alone when parts are being replaced + the damn inconvenience.

car for under £200 let alone when parts are being replaced + the damn inconvenience.

I have got a quote for £75 for it!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - John Boy

The mirrors are not cheap:

www.wingmirrorshop.co.uk/suzuki-grand-vitara-c-171...l

"The mirrors are not cheap"

It's not a mirror, it's the indicator on the mirror!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - John Boy

"The mirrors are not cheap"

It's not a mirror, it's the indicator on the mirror!

Are you sure the indicator is available separately?

Yes, he confirmed it. The quote says it costs £42 and the rest is labour

' "The victim", on the other hand, is trying to take advantage of the situation. He is taking the car to a no VAT registered and quoting for an amount of money which is not proportioned to the damage.'

Well, that's your version of it. Other posters here don't think it's an unreasonable amount.

If you feel badly done by you would be better off letting your insurance deal with it.

What's the alternative? The two of you haggle to the point where the other guy gets fed up and involves his insurance - because you are not in a position to insist on anything. At that point your insurance company is involved too. The other guy gets his damage repaired and comes after you for his excess.

Some people might think £200 is well worth paying to avoid any further hassle.

Edited by FP on 19/03/2015 at 19:20

Well, that's your version of it. Other posters here don't think it's an unreasonable amount

£212 for an indicator of a wing mirror is reasonable? Four hours to change it reasonable??

Thank you all for your help! It is the first time I ever use a forum and will be the last. While I appreciate the advices, I do not like the aggressive tones. I have broken an indicator and left my number, and was repaid with an excessive quote!

You know what I think, honesty should be repaid with honesty, but this is not the case, is it? Please do not bother reply, I will cancel myself from the forum anyway!

"It is the first time I ever use a forum and will be the last."

"I will cancel myself from the forum anyway!"

"I do not like the aggressive tones."

Obviously it's your decision, but I don't detect any aggressiveness in the responses. (And if you found my own responses aggressive, I apologise - it wasn't intentional.)

People have been asked for advice and have given it - bluntly, perhaps. I'm afraid sometimes those who post here seem to get offended if they are not told what they want to hear.

Finally, you say, "...honesty should be repaid with honesty, but this is not the case, is it?" You're right - you were honest enough to leave your details. I would have done the same. But you can't make the other person dance to your tune. If you don't want to pay the "victim" directly, go to your insurance - that's what it's for. If you were hoping to make a saving by paying privately and thus avoiding an increase in premiums - well, as has been said, you will have to report the incident to your insurance company whether you make a claim or not, and your premiums may be affected.

There are some situations in life where the best thing is just to accept that someone has not behaved as you would like and move on.

Perhaps a moderator would like to comment on the alleged aggressiveness of some posts in this thread. It would be a pity to lose a new member so quickly, if he is genuinely interested in motoring.

Edited by FP on 19/03/2015 at 20:49

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - Leif
I'd just pay, and feel good at being honest and reporting it. He might be overcharging a bit, or not, but the increase in insurance over many years will be far more. It mightcost a bit to replace depending on the car, I replaced a wing mirror on a hatchback, easy peasy, but cars vary.

Thank you Leif, you were the only one to answer kindly. I will just pay and get over it. The temptation is to run, next time. But probably I will not!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - Wackyracer

If you are in any doubt about his quote, Just call your local Suzuki dealer and ask them what it costs to replace this part of the mirror. Most main dealers know these costs as these are things they deal with often.

It sometimes happens that when one person lays into a poster, the others follow. I bet most of them would have driven off without leaving a note.

I've looked through this entire thread, after reading the OP's criticism of the 'aggresive tones'.

I honestly can't see where that sort of tone has been used.

I think that it's more a case of the OP not hearing what they wanted to hear, and deciding to shoot the messenger.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - scot22

I have previously left the forum when a thread ( which I had not started) began to include some offensive comments - I'm sensitive.

However, I later thought the world has a variety of characters. The vast majority of posters are knowledgeable and helpful. It is difficult when posting to convey the intention of the post.

Having rejoined the forum I have saved myself a lot of expense and hassle by listening to some of the advice. People's willingness has increased my limited knowledge.

It is extremely difficult to moderate forums. Where do you draw the line between being clear and direct or being offensive ? It also depends on the nature of the person who has posted for advice as to what is acceptable.

I have come to recognise the styles of some people and accept it for what it is.

"I have previously left the forum when a thread ( which I had not started) began to include some offensive comments - I'm sensitive."

You have my sympathy. I have no time for those who seek to offend. The only time I feel the urge to be sharp with someone is when they have been obnoxious. Fortunately it doesn't happen here too often.

On the other hand, there's no point in getting upset at relatively small issues. Sometimes I think we see people who have lost their sense of proportion.

I've looked through this entire thread, after reading the OP's criticism of the 'aggresive tones'.

I honestly can't see where that sort of tone has been used.

I think that it's more a case of the OP not hearing what they wanted to hear, and deciding to shoot the messenger.

Here is the first example I found:

"Why should the victim take the car to a garage the OP knows well? Indeed, why should he trust the OP at all?"

I think the above is at worst aggressive, or at best unsympathetic, considering that the OP left a note, which many if not most people would not do. The tone has been "Stop moaning, pay up". Is that fair?

To be honest ~£200 does seem a bit steep, but really the OP has no choice, apart from go via the insurer, not a good idea.

'Here is the first example I found:

"Why should the victim take the car to a garage the OP knows well? Indeed, why should he trust the OP at all?"

I think the above is at worst aggressive, or at best unsympathetic, considering that the OP left a note, which many if not most people would not do.'

My words.

These were my thought-processes: someone has damaged your car; thankfully, they have left a note, but you know nothing more about them. They want not only to avoid using their insurer, but to insist on a particular garage to do the repair.

I questioned why anyone would just go along with that. If I seem aggressive in the way I put it, I apologise. I didn't mean to be. Leif seems to think I was aggressive - what do others think?

'The tone has been "Stop moaning, pay up".'

Not from me. My suggestion elsewhere in the thread was that it would be less hassle to go down the insurance route. Again, perhaps others can tell me if they think I got it wrong here too.

I'm actually quite upset if people believe I have frightened off a new poster, or have even contributed to it. In the past, on many occasions, I have objected to the rude and unsympathetic treatment of others on this forum.

Edited by FP on 20/03/2015 at 12:35

FP: Thanks for the comment. :)

"It sometimes happens that when one person lays into a poster, the others follow."

Indeed - that can happen. But I'm still struggling to find any evidence of anyone "laying into" the OP.

On another point, it did occur to me that the "victim" might not be dishonestly inflating the cost of the repair, but may have simply got a quotation without being aware of the real cost - that is, if the cost is actually inflated. I don't think we have definitively established that.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - gordonbennet

Unfortunately the OP wasn't at the garage when the job was etsimated, it might be inflated price or it might not be quite as simple as it sounds to slot a new indicator in.

As an example, the MAN lorry i drive, an agency bod managed to clip the mirror cover breaking it, not a problem the agency will get the bill (they've done a lot of damage recently £1500 alone to my roof deflector only a few months ago)...so on the way back from my next convenient run i pop into the MAN dealer for the new mirror cover to be clipped on...aah, where the cover clips on the back plate is broken too so short of gluing it all together, which means its unserviceable in the future, instead a complete new mirror assembly comprising 2 large heated and fully motorised mirrors in ther complete assembly go on instead of a £40 cover, doubt there was any change from £800 for that little lot parts alone and another £100+ to fit.

Not exaggerating with the prices, on a lorry forum i go on someone had to buy a new exhaust for his MAN, retail £11,000, he managed to get it down to £8000 and was gldd of that.

In perspective the £200 i'd have been glad to accept in order to avoid insurance trouble, many 'victims' would have milked it big time.

There has been no aggression here that i can see, quite rightly FP pointed out in not so many words that the person with the damaged car doesn't know the OP from a bar of soap, so why should they trust him to get his own garage (who might well be a diamond geezer, but could equally be bodgit and scarper) to fix the thing.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/03/2015 at 13:55

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - Minor car accident - scot22

In my opinion FP your closing sentence clarifies the tone of your post, 'Sorry to be yet another bearer of bad news - but that's how I see it.'

You have given your view on the situation politely and factually.

As you say previously it is important to keep a sense of perspective. My wife has on occasions told me I'm too sensitive !

When you ask for people'e thoughts do not react negatively if they are not what you want to hear. I hope that's not considered aggressive : because that's not my nature.