Dogma - hillman

When taking a driving test the examiner might fail the one being tested if they do something sensible.

Thus it is sometimes necessary to give the examiner what he/she wants to hear then forget the silly parts once the test is passed. Do the BRs know any other things ?

One thing is not to park the car when it is in gear. This may have changed.

The most recent example of this I’ve seen was when our milkman, living up the avenue from us, forgot the leave the float in gear when he finished his round. When the handbrake had cooled the float crept down the avenue, across and up the opposite footpath. It came to rest parked against my garden wall.

Another thing is ‘gears to go, brakes to slow’. If one does this in the Peak District then one takes the risk of red-hot brake disks. I found the following in the MOT advice.

"STEEP HILLS:

When descending steep hills in DRIVE, the vehicle will tend to drop into its highest ratio. This will result in excessive use of the brakes. Although brakes on automatics are larger than on their manual counterparts, ‘brake fade’ can still create a problem but manually locking a low ratio provides compression braking to enhance flexibility and braking control, particularly when towing a trailer/caravan. Conversely, when ascending a steep hill, manually locking a ratio may also provide better control and improve smoothness if the vehicle is hunting between two ratios."

Dogma - Leif
Advanced training teaches things that might get you failed in the vanilla test. For example, you only indicate if it gives useful information to someone else. Why indicate when moving back in after an overtake if it does not help someone? You might wish to go wide on a corner to get better visibility, but that might fail you. Approaching a junction or a roundabout, you go into neutral, brake to the desired speed, get into the right gear, then merge in, ensuring a low gear was selected so you have acceleration if needed. That might fail you, you might be expected to stop and wait. And of course the vanilla test requires you make it obvious you are using the mirrors, so,you have to exaggerate and make it clear. I am sure far better drivers than me can think of other examples.

I realised that advanced driving is quite different from vanilla training. My original instructor did not chastise me for engine braking, for example. Then again, I was struggling to master the basics.
Dogma - focussed

Many urban myths about driving tests and examiners abound.

Parking in gear.

Auto test. Gear selector in "P" when parked at start and end of test - good practice.

Manual test. Gear lever in any gear at start of test, Not a problem PROVIDING that neutral is selected before starting the car.

Normally neutral is advised.

At end of test - Car left in gear at end of test - acceptable PROVIDING that the engine is switched off first.

Again neutral is advised.

It's all about safe practice!

Gear changing.

Either sequential or block changing is acceptable (block changing is to brake to the speed you need for any particular situation/hazard and then select the appropriate gear for that speed) Block changing should be taught in preference as it is easier for a novice to master.

Selecting a lower gear for a descent is desirable - not selecting a lower gear may be marked as either a driving fault or a serious fault resulting in a fail, depending on the circumstances.

There is no requirement on the basic test to signal to return to the left hand lane after overtaking-may be marked as a driving fault for unneccesary signalling.

Dogma - Andrew-T

Manual test. Gear lever in any gear at start of test, Not a problem PROVIDING that neutral is selected before starting the car.

Or clutch is depressed while starting - also good practice ?

Dogma - Sofa Spud

Or clutch is depressed while starting - also good practice ?

Depends on the vehicle - some manufacturers suggest yes, others no.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 15/03/2015 at 11:24

Dogma - Andrew-T
For example, you only indicate if it gives useful information to someone else. Why indicate when moving back in after an overtake if it does not help someone?

Equally, why indicate right when joining a M'way? You have no other option, nowhere else to go? The only possible reason is to attract more attention by a flashing lamp.

Dogma - Sofa Spud

In the old days they used to say it was dangerous to leave e diesel engined vehicle in gear because if the handbrake failed and it started to roll, it could bump-start the engine. Whether that would be any more dangerous than rolling away downhill in neutral I have my doubts!

This was in the days before diesels had sophisticated electronic controls.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 15/03/2015 at 11:32

Dogma - Wackyracer

When I had my automatic I used to often manually select a lower gear for steep hill descents, this often got surprised looks from passengers who had no idea that you could drive an automatic like that.

When I did my HGV training I was taught not to indicate unless it was helpful and there was someone to benefit from it.

I was also taught to make use of non official signs of information i.e. fresh horse dung on twisty country roads = likely a horse up ahead.

I think alot of people forget that passing a driving test only means you have passed the minimum required standard to drive a vehicle, a few like myself will go on to pay for (or be paid) to go on further education courses for improvement. The rest will just be glad to get from home to the shops without waiting for a bus and not care about how they drive.

Dogma - Bromptonaut

Always put car in gear when it's parked. About the only useful driving tip I got from my Dad - he'd adopted practice after seeing his Father's car start to run away. I know modern brakes are much better etc but then I drove a Xantia for 13 yrs and they had history for running away. Or the brake can get knocked off while unloading etc.

If block changing is easier for new drivers fair enough. I've had a license since 1977 so I hardly fit that category. Just like to be in right gear all the time, keeping the engine revs in the torque band. Usually I'll probably change sequentially as car looses speed - eg on a rising motorway exit slip. Might go straight from 5 to 3 though. Different again on a falling slip or heavy urban traffic. Not using gears to slow, just keeping revs and road speed matched. Don't even think about how I'm doing it.

Don't get me started on the only indicate if someone will benefit thing. Who am I to decide who will benefit, what about a pedestrian? somebody I've not seen?

I'm convinced it was devised by somebody with a bee in his bonnet where not indicating somehow proved you were on a higher plane of attention. CWOT.

Dogma - FP

"...may be marked as a driving fault for unneccesary signalling."

That made me gasp with surprise. "Unnecessary signalling" is a driving fault? For God's sake.

"Don't get me started on the only indicate if someone will benefit thing. Who am I to decide who will benefit, what about a pedestrian? somebody I've not seen?"

Quite. There is more aggravation caused by a lack of signalling than has ever been caused by so-called "unnecessary signalling".

I still maintain that drivers should always signal. Having to think about whether it's "necessary" or not introduces another decision to be made. Keep it simple, make it a habit and it's one fewer thing to worry about - and a lot of other drivers' lives will be made easier.

Dogma - hillman

"I still maintain that drivers should always signal. Having to think about whether it's "necessary" or not introduces another decision to be made. Keep it simple, make it a habit and it's one fewer thing to worry about - and a lot of other drivers' lives will be made easier."

Many times I've been waiting for an opportunity to join traffic on a roundabout and have missed that opportunity because someone hasn't signalled that they are turning left. No signal to me means that the driver intends to go straight ahead, despite whatever lane they are in.

Dogma - Leif
"I till maintain that drivers should always signal"

I agree that a lack of signalling, or a lack of correct signalling, is annoying. What annoys me is when people indicate right, or left, but only after they start turning. That is virtually pointless. The aim is to give someone advance warning, so they know tou might be slowing, for example.

But drivers do not always need to signal. As a driver you should be aware of your surroundings. You should know when signalling is of value or not. If you are not aware, then you are not safe. Signalling is not a fix for lack of awareness.
Dogma - Trilogy

Agree with you Leif. Also, indicating can sometimes be misleading, so there are times when it is best not to. We are not robots, we can recognise the right time. Well, some can, some can't.

Dogma - Brian Tryzers
Certainly can. For example, there's a little roundabout I pass on my way to work. Immediately after it is a side road to the left. The HC correct signal for my path through the roundabout would be left but drivers waiting to emerge from the side road take this to mean I'm turning into their road and as an invitation to pull out into my path. So I don't signal there any more.

A more widespread example is some drivers' fussy insistence on flashing a right indicator as they pull out to pass a parked car. Gives no useful information and is more likely to alarm an oncoming driver by suggesting an imminent right turn. Those who think you can never signal too much, please consider.
Dogma - Andrew-T
A more widespread example is some drivers' fussy insistence on flashing a right indicator as they pull out to pass a parked car. Gives no useful information and is more likely to alarm an oncoming driver by suggesting an imminent right turn. Those who think you can never signal too much, please consider.

Leaving indicators for a moment, let's consider headlamp flashing. It's OK as an invitation if there is no doubt about who it is aimed at. If there is more than one possible receiver of the signal, best not do it.

Dogma - focussed

"Or clutch is depressed while starting - also good practice ?"

Not really, unless that particular vehicle has to have the clutch pedal down to enable starting.

Dogma - madf

"Or clutch is depressed while starting - also good practice ?"

Not really, unless that particular vehicle has to have the clutch pedal down to enable starting.

Useful for drivers of automatics.

Dogma - Leif

Leaving indicators for a moment, let's consider headlamp flashing. It's OK as an invitation if there is no doubt about who it is aimed at.

Indeed.

The Highway Code states: 'Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.'

I would be wary of that use, it'd always be misinterpreted. Say a car waiting to emerge from a side road has its nose in your path, and you want to warn them you are coming, 100% they would take flashing as a signal to proceed.

Dogma - grimep

What if the car behind hadn't noticed the obstacle (perhaps a mini skip in the road, or bicycle, or milk float or whatever) about ot be overtaken because the car in front is blocking the view?Flicking the right indicators before overtaking is hardly a bad practice really.

Dogma - galileo

What if the car behind hadn't noticed the obstacle (perhaps a mini skip in the road, or bicycle, or milk float or whatever) about ot be overtaken because the car in front is blocking the view?Flicking the right indicators before overtaking is hardly a bad practice really.

It is often done by car drivers in broad daylight, when a parked car is clearly visible to the driver of a following car (eg me!) and it is obvious they are unlikely to pass it by going left on the pavement or drive into the back of it.

Worth a signal for buses/LGVs when they obstruct the view of what they are pulling out to pass.

Dogma - alan1302

I was always taught it was bad practive and would get a mark against me when on the dricing test. T he reason being that when driving behind another car you should always have the distance to see what si going on in front of it. Only buses/LGVs should do it as they are so large and block the ahad ore than a car.

Dogma - bazza

I was always taught it was bad practive and would get a mark against me when on the driving test. .........

Indeed, when i did my bike test nearly 10 years ago, I picked up a minor for "unnecessary indication". During the training (which was great and I recommend every car driver spends a few hours on a bike!) we were taught to only indicate when it provides information to other road users. On the test I found myself in a situation where I wasn't sure, threw one in for good measure and picked up a fault.

There's a lady in our street who has developed her own type of dogma. I guess she's been driving many years. She stops at the end of our very quiet street, indicates right (can't turn left it's a dead end) , looks right, then left, right, then left again, finally one more look right and left and moves off at a snails pace. This is repeated at every give way, with a totally clear road. . She's a liability but probably thinks everyone else is a lunatic!

Dogma - Andrew-T

It's the ones that indicate right and then turn left that are the real nuisance. Maybe another point in favour of not indicating unless essential ?

Dogma - hillman

"When I had my automatic I used to often manually select a lower gear for steep hill descents, this often got surprised looks from passengers who had no idea that you could drive an automatic like that."

I have an automatic and I almost always descend steep hills with the car in low gear. I don't like to ride the brakes. The gearbox has a manual or automatic feature and it's easy to use. One of the venerable BRs posted once that the best gear to use going down a hill is the one you use going up. One or two hills I descend in first gear, 10 mph at the top and sometimes 30 mph approaching the bottom. On Blaze Hill next to Bollington I select 2nd for going up and 1st for going down. I've regularly seen cars with the brake lights on all the way down.

Dogma - Alby Back
My car has an auto box, but it also has "s" and "e" and "m" settings on it. It can further be over-ridden by tipping the gear-lever to the left or right or you can use the flappy paddles on the steering wheel.

It would seem churlish when provided with all these choices not to use some of them some of the time, so when descending steep hills I do.

It doesn't seem to mind.
Dogma - madf

New brakes are cheap, new gearboxes are not. I brake with brakes..

Dogma - Leif
That is the advice of the IAM for the reason given. Brakes are cheaper than gearbox and clutch. Touch wood I have not in 16 years needed gearbox or clutch repairs.
Dogma - Wackyracer

It's the ones that indicate right and then turn left that are the real nuisance. Maybe another point in favour of not indicating unless essential ?

Or the ones that go down the motorway in the centre lane with a right hand indicator flashing away mile upon mile, making everyone cautious of overtaking them incase they do pull out on you.

Dogma - Avant

Talking of indicators, there must have been some driving school dogma - or pehaps something in an early edition of the Highway Code - that said that if you are going straight over a roundabout (2nd exit in a typical 4-exit roundabout), you first indicate right, then left. It usually seems to be elderly drivers who do this.

This can be dangerous as, rightly or wrongly, the person behind thinks you're going to take the 3rd exit and effect a right turn.

Dogma - Trilogy

Avant, I agree with you. When I took my test over 30 years ago we were taughts the twice indicate technique for going straight on. When I took the IAM test some years later we were taught just to indicate just the once.

BTW, driving to work this morning I didn't indicate as I left the A14. There was a car in the distance behind, but too far for it to serve any purpose for me to indicate. At next roundabout there was no one in sight, so no need to indicate. At the next one there was an elderly gentleman walking away from roundabout, indicating was of no benefit to him, so I didn't indicate.......In the centre there was a need to indicate therefore I did so.

Remember, when turning left, always look in the nearside mirror to check for cyclists on your inside.

Dogma - Wackyracer

I agree Trilogy, that is how I see it. If there is nobody to benefit or if by indicating it could be confusing, then I won't indicate.

I use both (door) mirrors, before signalling and before turning.

Dogma - davecooper
Some years ago I was behind an HGV who was waiting to turn right into a depot, he was not indicating to turn right but had positioned himself toward the centre of the road to allow traffic behind to pass on the left. Unfortunately there was still not enough room to squeeze through so there was a queue of traffic behind him. A motorcyclist assumed he was part of the queue and not the cause so he overtook a number of cars and then the lorry, just as the lorry turned accross in front of him. Result, the biker went straight into the side of the cab. Had the biker seen a right hand indicator, would he have tried to pass the lorry?