Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - Robert Frost

Hello everyone,

I am need of a used car and I have decided to buy either a Honda Jazz (non-hybrid) or a MK2 Toyota Prius. For the Jazz I am looking for something 2008/2009 with less than 40K mileage. For the Prius a 2007/2008 with less than 60K mileage.

I know that the Prius will cost about 2.5-3k more but it will hopefully be offset over the years with lower fuel costs and road tax. I am thinking about owning the car for ten years becasue this is how long my last used car (VW Polo) lived.

My preference is the Prius.

My concern here is the Prius battery. I have come across posts online where they have died after a number of years http://priuschat.com/threads/hybrid-battery-survey-gen2-prius-2004-2009.132362/

I read an article saying that it is not the mileage that kills the battery but the length of years and climate. Thus I am worried that a 2008 model is close to a battery failure and it may cost £2000 to fix it.

Is the Prius worth a risk or should I go for a Jazz?

Also should I go to a verified dealer or is buying from a private owner or a regular dealer okay?

Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - gordonbennet

Interesting poll that, very low failure rate even when well up in the mileage.

How do you know its a £2k fix, isn't there a battery rebuild service for Toyota hybrids yet, i'm sure i read about someone in this country doing so for Honda hybrid batteries so it's probably on the cards if not already up and running.

Even if it was £2k, if that's the only major bill after about 8/10 years and some 150k miles in order to give it another 150k mile potential, then when you compare to an equivalent model Diesel it's still winning...a typical Diesel manual will probably need a clutch and DMF in the same time frame @ possibly similar money, if the Diesel is a DSG or other weirdo auto then the repair costs will possibly make that £2k look like a bargain, and we haven't even touched on the various expensive ills foibles and failures of modern Diesel engines.

I know you weren't asking for a comparison with Diesel, but trying to put the battery failure cost worry into context.

Where to buy?...that would depend on the offer, the genuine warranty in the case of a Toyota dealer (might be too old for most Toyota dealers), the worthless warranty in most cases of the general used car site, and your own mechanical knowledge whether you feel confident to buy privately.

Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - FP

"...isn't there a battery rebuild service for Toyota hybrids yet..."

My trusted local indie can do this. Apparently "battery failures" are in reality the failure of one or two individual cells and replacing these is what he does. No idea of costs, but presumably much less than a replacement battery.

Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - tanvir

The Jazz gets around 47MPG apparently: www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/honda/jazz-2008

I can't see the Prius doing much better unless the vast majority of your journeys are short town trips on elec only.www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/prius-2003

Plus if you're keeping it for ten years, chances are you will have to change the batteries at some point...

I'd choose the Jazz myself

Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - bazza

What GB said, basically..... I wouldn't shy away from a Prius on reliability grounds.

But if you're keeping an 08 car for 10 years, then it will be 17 years old by then and done maybe 150 to 200000 miles? Whatever you buy, you need to factor in some higher maintenance costs over the duration.

Will a Prius actually save you money? I make a Jazz averaging 45 and a Prius 55mpg. That's about £200 a year in favour of the Prius. If a Prius costs you 2 to 3K more, that's 10 to 15 year break-even time, so it's marginal. I think I would go with whatever car you prefer, both are highly reliable, well made models from top manufacturers.

Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - Auristocrat

With Toyota one can extend the Toyota warranty up to the car's 10th birthday. As regards the battery, Toyota dealers will carry out a hybrid health check as part of a service, and if the battery is OK, the health check extends the warranty on the hybrid battery for a year. One can also have the hybrid health check done separately to a service at a cost of £39, and this will also come with a one year warranty extension on the battery. If a hybrid health check is undertaken immediately prior to the car's 10th birthday, the battery warranty extension will take one up to almost 11 years.

See www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/hybrid-he...k

Edited by Auristocrat on 13/03/2015 at 19:41

Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - nortones2

Replacement, if needed, is supposed to be around £800. www.toyota.co.uk/hybrid-faq

Just wondering why such disparate (to me) vehicles are being considered? The Jazz is certainly roomy for it's size, but is a "city car" whereas the Prius is medium sized and auto only. Jazz comes in very slick manual, CVT (the belt type, not to be confused with the transaxle design of the Prius) or automated manual. The latter not being a success!

Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - Auristocrat

The Jazz isn't a city car - such as the Ka, Agila, Aygo, Up, etc - it is a sup[ermini and a similar size to the Polo, Yaris, Corsa, Fiesta, etc

Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - nortones2
Whatever. It's quite a lot smaller than the Prius, which is the point at issue, such as it is.
Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - madf

Prius batteries consist of banks of Ni-CD rechargeable batteries. Easily replaced individually. A company which repairs them does the job for c £350.

I have a Jazz CVT - and have driven a 2008 Prius - which is also CVT. The Jazz is more conveient for storage space and has fold flat Magic Seats. The Prius has fold flat rear seats.

Inside they are roughly comparable: but a Jazz is better around town for parking.. a Prius is a lot quieter..

Both are VERY reliable.

Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - puckdrop

Hi, I couldn't believe this topic existst :-)

I have a 2007 Prius T-Spirit, and the other half has a Honda Jazz Hybrid (62 reg)

Overall, the Prius is technically and mpg wise a much better car, although the Jaz is also very nice, equipped well, and well put together.

I bought the prius with 90,000 miles on the clock, and it now has 185,000 ( with just basic oil and filter changes ) - new 12v battery ( known issues ) but original engine and hybrid system/battery. It still drives like new although it does like a sip of oil every now and then.

The Jaz we bought from new, and it now has 30,000 miles and also hasn't missed a beat. it struggles to get above 60mpg on a long run, and is much worse around town - usually mid 40's to mid 50's depending. The prius rarely AVERAGES below 60 on a full tank. Only long 70mph+ motorway runs see the economy drop a little - where the Jazz is actually comparable.

Inside, there is more room in the prius, the boot is not as tall, but is deeper front to back. The're more legroom for tall drivers, and tall passengers who sit behind them in the Prius.

There is a suggestion that what kills the prius batteries are high temperatures - there have been a number reported from high temperature states in the USA, but few relatively in the UK.

There was also an issue with Civic hybrid batteries, not sure if this applies to the Jazz

Honda Jazz vs Toyota Prius - Ethan Edwards

As already stated the Prius v the Jazz is like comparing a 911 with a Yaris HSD. Chalk and cheese. Jazz v Yaris now your talking.

I looked at both and the Jazz just struck me as rather boring. So I plumped for the Yaris HSD. Looks a bit racier.....well to me anyway.

Good to know the HSD batteries are so long lived though.