Passat Electrics failure - EJ
My 3 year old passat first showed signs of problems when the interior lights stopped working. This has now been followed by the power windows, wing mirrors, central locking and finally the car alarm kept going off. I fixed the alarm by removing the fuse for the CCM. I did note a build up of water in the bulkhead below the battery but have since removed the battery and checked the drainage which seems clear. There are no other signs of problems.
Please could anybody advise what could have caused the electrics to fail and secondly where is the CCM located and is it a straght forward replacement for a new part?
Passat Electrics failure - Tim Allcott
When you refer to the 'CCM' is that the convenience module? If so, it's situated under the carpet in front of the front passenger side seat. Sounds very familiar... as far as why the elctrics failed, I don't know, but having had similar problems with my car, there's been at least one other sufferer on this site...

Tim
Passat Electrics failure - Mark S
Fairly common fault on this model. Control unit is in passenger footwell under carpet. Water leaks in via pollen filter on left hand side of bulkhead & fills footwell and control unit up with water. If you are unlucky, water will have got into main wiring harness at control unit multiplug and corroded wiring over a long length due to capillary action of water being drawn into harness. About 6 hours labour plus new, expensive harness and new control unit. Check with VW dealer, if car is out of warranty VW may offer a goodwill percentage.
Passat Electrics failure - EJ
Thank you for the reply.
Do you know if it would be a straight forward replacement of the CCM module or is it a programmable module that requires configuring?
Also do you know how the VW dealer stopped the water leaking in through the pollen filter?

Thanks again

EJ
Passat Electrics failure - KW
EJ,
Not sure how the models work out, but is it a facelift ie current model or last of the prefacelift? Just concerned about preventing this on my facelifted model!!!
Passat Electrics failure - Mark S
Hi EJ. You need to remove scuttle trim in front of windscreen,remove pollen filter cover & filter element.You can then remove the pollen filter housing:held on by a couple of bolts if I remember.Usually the gasket between housing and bulkhead has failed.Fit a new one or clean & seal all mating surfaces with silicon sealer.The control unit requires adapting to the car by a dealer, or somebody with access to VAS 5051/5052/1551 test equipment.