madza 6 2011 - Sumpstrainer failure, - Bernadette

My exhaust started smoking, stopped driving, towed car to mechanics for assessment , result is that the car had a design fault, sumpstrainer blocked causing total engine failure. The car was in mechanics in January for service. This could not have been predicted. What are my consumer rights. The garage do not want to know , stating the guarantee is expired. However, we did nothing wrong. The garage offered 4,000 for car, and suggested we buy another car over a five year repayment package. I am not interested. My car would have been fully paid for next march 2016, stilling paying for a car that I no longer can drive. Car milege 79,ooo kilometers. How would i find out if other owners, particularly in Ireland, experienced this problem. I would also like to point out , if my car was in excellent running order, I could have sold for 16,450euros. Is it your opinion to engage an independent assessor , costing me 450 plus vat to write out report to ensure my case is stronger. I will also have to get car towed to Madza mechanics to allow them to look at this car , more costs. I have not sought legal advice yet. I would be grateful if you could advise me. regards, bernadette.

Edited by Bernadette on 11/03/2015 at 14:47

madza 6 2011 - Sumpstrainer failure, - skidpan

If it was a design fault ever Mazda 6 on the road would suffer the same problem, they don't.

The filter in the sump on the pick up (if that is what you refer to) generally gets blocked if the oil is not changed often enough or the wrong grade of oil is used. Do you know if the garage has used the correct oils, obviously if you bought second hand other than receipts you have no idea what had been done.

In reality if the car is out of warranty and done 79,000 km you have little chance of getting Mazda to contribute.

Correct oil used, bought new, serviced regularly , in fact in the mechanics for service in January this year, including oil change.

madza 6 2011 - Sumpstrainer failure, - galileo

Correct oil used, bought new, serviced regularly , in fact in the mechanics for service in January this year, including oil change.

It's not unknown for sump oil strainers to get blocked with sludge. On some makes the bottom of the strainer is very close to the sump, so any build-up of sludge will restrict or stop oil being picked up by the pump.

If oil changes are done by sucking old oil out through the dipstick tube instead of running it out through the drain plug, this is more likely to occur.

madza 6 2011 - Sumpstrainer failure, - craig-pd130

+1 to what Skidpan said above. Mazda diesels do seem to experience this specific problem of a blocked sump strainer more than other makes, but it is not the subject of a recall so your chance of getting anything from Mazda is limited.

If you have owned the car from brand new, and always had it serviced by the supplying Mazda dealer exactly as per the factory intervals, then it's well worth a try to complain to Mazda's central customer services (not the dealer, you rarely get anywhere by going via the dealer).

But if you bought it used and it's been serviced even once by a non-Mazda dealer, you've got no chance, sorry.

Madza 6 was bought new, first service by madza service center, however, the following services by reliable mechanic who I have used for years. Correct oil used and services as advised in Madza Handbook. The question is, relating to consumer rights, despite the fact that it is out of guarantee, I have been advised by national consumer rights, that I would still have a case for reimbursment, as car should not have failed after four years. Do I pay for independent assessors, or am I wasting my time. What a predictament to be in.

As Craig says since you have used a non mazda dealer for servicing there is no way you will get any goodwill.

If you want to spend your money on reports its your choice. If those reports make you feel court action may be worthwhile its your choice again.

But the cheapest way to sort may be to get your "reliable mechanic" to replace the engine with an identical one from a write off of near enough the same age. But get him to remove the sump and check the stariner first.

madza 6 2011 - Sumpstrainer failure, - gordonbennet

Skid's plan sounds the best bet to me.

Presumably this is another example of Mazda's avoidable Diesel?

You could spend thousands on reports, assessments and court costs, and still lose - then you'll still have no car. Court cases are a lottery.

Mazda will not give an inch as they have the perfect get-out clause: they haven't serviced the car for the last 2 - 3 years. Even if your mechanic can produce detailed records that Mazda-specified oil and genuine Mazda filters and procedures etc were used at every service, Mazda would still say he's not factory-trained etc etc.

As Skidpan says, better to get your mechanic to source a replacement engine and fit it.

Why should we let the cost of 29.000 go and not attempt to take further action. If we look at consumer law, this car, even though out of guarantee, should not have died at, 79,000kl. We still have consumer rights. according to consumer association. We have regular service with correct oil. We have done nothing wrong. In fact, car was with mechanic in January 2015. We have tried to book in with Madza for assessment, however, they will not take car in until April 2015. This is disgusting. more delay. The question , i have now, should I Pay 500euros to have independent inspection done. Please advise.

I do sympathise, but my ten pence worth is that an inspection will not get you anywhere. The difficulty you face is proving that the engine failure was NOT caused by servicing outside of the Mazda dealer chain.

You'll spend 500 euros on the inspection, and send it to Mazda. Mazda will either not respond, or simply repeat that the car wasn't serviced by them so they are not responsible.

Then you might consider taking them to court, and incur legal costs. You might win. But if you don't -- and I think it's a big if -- you'll get stiffed for the court costs, and those will make the cost of a new engine look cheap by comparison.

Sometimes your first loss is as good as it's going to get.

madza 6 2011 - Sumpstrainer failure, - Auristocrat

Think you need to consider the foillowing:

1. Just because the sumpstrainer has become blocked, doesn't mean this is a design fault.

2. Whose opinion is it that it is a design fault? Your mechanic's? That is an opinion not a fact.

3. Goodwill works both ways. For manufacturers to consider making a goodwill contribution towards repairs, they usually ask that the vehicle has been serviced via their own dealer network - which would be you showing goodwill towards the manufacturer.

4. You saved money by having the car serviced by your mechanic, outside of the Mazda dealer network, so why should Mazda offer any goodwill contribution towards the cost of your repairs?

5. If Mazda were to consider any goodwill contribution, they would want to assess the damage themselves via their own dealer network, and, if they subsequently decided they would make a goodwill contribution, any repair work would be done via the Mazda dealer network.

6. Remember a goodwill contribution may not cover the full cost of repair. It is a contribution.

7. Can you actually prove that the servicing was carried out according to Mazda's service schedules and using parts/consumables that were of a similar standard to those used by Mazda?

madza 6 2011 - Sumpstrainer failure, - SteVee

Can you find any previous court cases which show this is a design fault?

One of the problems in servicing a car outside the dealer network is that the independent mechanics are unlikely to see any Technical Service Bulletins that might warn of such problems and how to detect/correct them. You need to absolutely sure that no such technical bulletin exists regarding this problem before starting court proceedings. That is very difficult.

I would agree with getting a replacement engine - and then exchange the car for something else.

I have some sympathy with you having owned a 'lemon' car. It's a very frustrating experience.

Madza will take car in April to assess, at my cost of 95euros an hour, will probably be three hours plus according to Madza. I will also have to cover cost of getting car towed to garage. My insurance company are sending out an independent assessor, so lets see what he finds. This should be interesting, particularly if independent assessor comes up with similar opinion to my mechanic. I also have had no choice but to look for an alternative car today. I have looked at Citroen 07, 5000euros, 61,000 km. NCT for two years and three mths guanantee. This particular garage offers to take the Madza, pay off existing finance of 3.000euros and just take 1,000euro for the Citroen, advise please. Its more that Madza offered. Not too sure what to do. decisions, decisions.

My insurance company are sending out an independent assessor, so lets see what he finds.

Your insurers will not pay out a single penny. Insurance is for accidents. Its not to cover you for lack of maintenance or manufacturing problems.

This particular garage offers to take the Madza, pay off existing finance of 3.000euros and just take 1,000euro for the Citroen, advise please.

Thats nice of them, only charging you 1000 euros to change to a 4 year older car. They will fit an engine from an accident damaged Mazda and sell your on at a huge profit. You could get the same work done for not much more and still have your much newer Mazda.

madza 6 2011 - Sumpstrainer failure, - brum

My insurance company are sending out an independent assessor, so lets see what he finds.

Your insurers will not pay out a single penny. Insurance is for accidents. Its not to cover you for lack of maintenance or manufacturing problems.

So if Mazda say - its not a manufacturing defect, and a full service record is available what is it?

Accidental damage doesnt have to involve a third party or hitting something.

So if Mazda say - its not a manufacturing defect, and a full service record is available what is it?

Accidental damage doesnt have to involve a third party or hitting something.

Can you honestly say that you know someone who has had their insurance company pay out for a new engine, gearbox or other mechanical component when the car is out of warranty.

In the real world that will never happen.

madza 6 2011 - Sumpstrainer failure, - xtrailman

Assuming its a diesel?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=86181

And

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/90350-oh-dear/page-1?hl=rinty

Skidpan extended warranties are insurance policies.

Edited by xtrailman on 18/03/2015 at 20:41

Skidpan extended warranties are insurance policies.

I fully appreciate that aftermarket warranties but in truth manufacturers extended warranties don't work like that.

But the OP did not say that they were trying to claim off their extended warranty. I suspect they are not since they have never mentioned anywhere they had an extended warranty. In truth if they had the problem would either have been sorted or the thread would be another about aftermarket warranties being useless.

I repeat what I have said previously, your RTA insurance will not pay for a mechanical failure.