IT disaster-what to do now! - concrete

Hello All, what a story, so I will keep it brief. My HP printer power pack failed, finally found a new one to order. In meantime set up my old Dell, non wireless printer. New software did not have the drivers for an old Dell, so no go ( going begging if anyone interested, live in Kent). Also in meantime the HP was in it's box, which swmbo then turned on it's end when tidying up. The ink from the cartridges(refilled by me) then ran out all over the electronics. Result is HP no longer functioning correctly. Decided to buy a new printer/scanner, but which one? Will never have another HP, there software does not like me re-filling cartridges, is very invasive into the laptop and I am sure plays up deliberately. The question is; which printer to buy? Does the software on all of them resist reiflls? When it is cheaper to buy precious metal than printer ink what is the solution? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Cheers Concrete

IT disaster-what to do now! - scot22

I am happy with my HP ! Perhaps worth having a look at http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/printers/13/ also gives best printers of 2015.

I usually get as cheap and simple as possible.

IT disaster-what to do now! - Avant

Both of mine (a laser mono and a colour inkjet) are Brothers - both reliable so far. The last one was an HP, and like you I wouldn't have another: it's a few years ago now, but I think the problem was stupid software yakking on about drivers instead of printing.

IT disaster-what to do now! - alan1302

Got 3 in the house a HP and a Canon Inkjet and a Samsung laser. All work well.

Worth looking at a laser printer if you don't need the colour prints.

If you are not keen on the HP I've always found Canon very good.

IT disaster-what to do now! - galileo

I've had an Epson DX8450 (printer, scanner, copier, 4 individual ink cartridges) for some years, no problems and recommended by a knowledgeable mate.

Just looked at Staples website, Epson Expression only £40 and 4 cartridges just under £28 -seems to have lots of features for the price.

Thank you all for some sound advice. I am going today for a new printer. It seems the 4 cartridge system is the best and easiest to refill if required. Because I don't use Microsoft it may be more complicated installing it but I am sure I can succeed.

Being from the steam age I am always playing catch up with this stuff. Maybe I should just hire an average teenager and they will whistle through it no bother!!

Cheers Concrete

IT disaster-what to do now! - alan1302

When you say you don't use Microsoft do you mean you don't use Windows?

When you say you don't use Microsoft do you mean you don't use Windows?

Correct. I had Windows XP but Microsoft ceased the support. I then removed it completely from my laptop and installed Ubuntu software, which is free to download from the internet. It is very good and easy to use and doesn't suffer some of the gliches that Windows does from time to time. The only difficulty is installing some printers. I am told not all the drivers are available in Ubuntu. However most are and it picks up printers wirelessly without any trouble. It is just if you wish to scan that you need to go through a certain procedure, but you can do it fairly easily. I am also told that the hackers and the like hardly bother with Ubuntu or similar operating systems because their use is so small compared to Windows that it is not worth their while developing a hacking programme.

Cheers Concrete

IT disaster-what to do now! - Leif

As I understand it Ubunto is built round a Linux core, which is a variant of Unix. The OS has a more robust architecture with better security such that it is harder for viruses (viri?) to cause damage.

I agree Ubuntu is very good.

As I understand it Ubunto is built round a Linux core, which is a variant of Unix. The OS has a more robust architecture with better security such that it is harder for viruses (viri?) to cause damage.

I agree Ubuntu is very good.

Hello Leif, that is correct it is a Linux based system. Now I am retired I only use e mail, online services and a small amount of document filing in folders. Windows XP was ok, with the occasional glitch but I have found Ubuntu really easy and also quicker and smoother the Windows. I have set my laptop to receive the Ubuntu updates automatically from the internet and it even backs-up regularly too. The internet browser is Firefox and you can use their Thunderbird for e mail if you wish, bit I stick to Hotmail.

Cheers Concrete

It is viruses.