Temporary 50mph limits - Tim Guymer
Just travelled back westbound on the M27 from Portsmouth area towards Southampton. Just after junction 9 a series of 50mph temporary limits were displayed on the overhead signs. There were no roadworks etc to provide a logical reason for this reduction but I slowed down none the less. Within 3 miles, 3 patrol cars had pulled over a group of cars keeping to the original 70mph limit. This is 11:30pm at night. My question is
Do the police have a right to reduce the speed limits from 70mph for no apparent reason?
-usually I ignore the temporary signs at this time of night as often no reason for them, it was only because I had travelled eastbound a couple of hours before and seen approx 20 different patrols within a 15 mile stretch that I slowed down.
Re: Temporary 50mph limits - honest john
It would be interesting to question the need for this limit in court using the argument that it constituted entrapment. But a County Court judge would probably go along with the police (the law's the law, even if it is an ass) so you'd probably need a lot of money and a smart barrister to win the case on appeal.

HJ
Re: Temporary 50mph limits - Andrew Hamilton
Perhaps that section of motorway was an accident blackspot. Why not phone up the local traffic police department and ask them!
Re: Temporary 50mph limits - Roger Keene
Just because you could not see a reason for the limit, does not mean that there was a good case for it. Unfortuneately, we cannot pick and choose which laws we will obey and at what time of day. The overhead red circular signs have the same force as the fixed roadside signs.
Motorway Warning Signs - Guy Lacey
What about the flashing speed signs on the motorway repeaters - are they mandatory speed limits as per the ones on the M25, for example, circled in red?
Re: Motorway Warning Signs - Stuart B
Guy,
My understanding is that unless the sign is as per Highway Code, ie red circle with a number inside its an advisory limit. eg yellow max speed 40mph at some road works, ditto but white sign on some bends

The other thing with temporary limits eg road works is that, I am led to believe because this certainly happened to a colleague, if you get a pull you get the fine but not the pints. ooops I mean points, freudian slip there.

Quite why the M25 should be different I am not sure, because on a technicality the temporary speed limits there are not due to accident blackspots but to ease traffic flow.

shoot! posted on another speeding & cameras thread!

Cheers,
Stuart
Re: Motorway Warning Signs - Tim Guymer
The signs on this stretch of the motorway were not as those seen on the M25 with a red circle round them-just on those black boards to the side of the road. It is also not an accident blackspot.
Re: Motorway Warning Signs - Rebecca
Between junction 8 and 7 (Hedge End) is a notorious congestion blackspot - which is why the electronic signs are there, I believe. No idea why they should be expecting congestion at 11.30 at night though.

It wasn't the night the student was killed there was it? (Hit by 3 cars including a police car)

All those patrols...looking for someone?
Re: Motorway Warning Signs - Brian
Once upon a time, many years ago, I got stopped by the police not far from home for no plausible reason.
It turned out that the local police motor club was running a rally and the uniformed branch had been set the task of intercepting the contestants as an exercise in initiative.
Trouble was, my then car closely matched the description of one of the contestants.