Renault Megane 1.6 Petrol Dynamique Sport Hatchbac - Tips on selling private - malct

i posted recently regarding my Renault Megane 1.6 Petrol Dynamique Sport Hatchback old style (Mk 2) and regarding buying a Pre reg car.

Regarding selling my car private, What are the pit falls and any advice on selling private.

I would like £3000 for my car that i bought from new and its got 45000 miles on the clock.

With asking £3000, I just fear that their wont be the buyers interested at that price and most people would prefer to go to a local garage were they would can some guarantee with the car and after service, Things that i cant offer.

Garages are offering me upto £2250 for my carm But i feel that i am getting robbed hence why i would like to try and sell private.

From your experiances from people who have sold private , Do you have any tips or advice.

Regards

Malc

Renault Megane 1.6 Petrol Dynamique Sport Hatchbac - Tips on selling private - I'm a Pane

Take the £2250 and accept that's the value of your car as a trade in on a pre-reg car you are probably saving 30% on the price of compared to new. you can't have it both ways - a higher px value will only be offered if there is a decent margin in the new car to massage both the px price and the owners ego. you say it yourself - at £3000 many people will look to buy at a garage with a guarantee/come back etc. All that costs money.....

Edited by I'm a Pane on 26/02/2015 at 19:49

Renault Megane 1.6 Petrol Dynamique Sport Hatchbac - Tips on selling private - dieselnut

You don't say what year your car is, but check on Autotrader & eBay to see what similar cars are selling for.

I recently sold my old 2005 Passat on Gumtree.

Advertised it through their online portal on Friday evening & it was gone off my drive by lunchtime the following Monday & cost nothing to advertise.

If you sell privately expect to get the odd person who doesn't turn up or just wastes your time, but if it's a good car I don't think you will have any trouble selling if priced realistically.

Only accept cash & if possible accompany the buyer to your bank & pay in the money, then give him/her the keys & V5c slip, get them to fill in the relevant parts of the V5 which YOU retain & send to DVLA.

Don't accept payment by Paypal or Western Union etc, they are usually scammers.

Edited by dieselnut on 27/02/2015 at 11:51

Renault Megane 1.6 Petrol Dynamique Sport Hatchbac - Tips on selling private - malct

its a 2009 plate, Been talking to renault today, there price is £1800 today and they will not move on the price, i thought with it been month end, they might be trying to meet targets since all the 2015 reg for sunday will have been sold a month ago.

WBAC have raised there price to £2300 but there is no guarantee that i would get that price.

Am off to try a few garages who pay cash for cars and see what they offer.

Malc

Renault Megane 1.6 Petrol Dynamique Sport Hatchbac - Tips on selling private - bathtub tom

Have a look here to see what it may be worth: www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/used-car-prices/Rena.../

I find their prices realistic. Unfortunately you don't provide enough details to identify your car on their lists, further complicated by the fact there was a model change in 2009.

Bear in mind you won't get anything near the forecourt prices dealers charge. They have to pay wages, rent, taxes and provide (implied) warranties on all their sales. Something a private seller isn't liable for.

I've never had any problems selling privately. Make sure its got a long (preferably new) MOT. Give it a thorough clean inside and out. Advertise it honestly! When you decide on its value, knock a couple of hundred off and ask that. The lower price will attract more interest and you can stand firm and NOT accept any offers. I'll agree that Gumtree (Friday adds, Loot etc) are probably the best places at the sort of price you're expecting, they're free and you can include photo's (after it's clean).

Never give the key to anyone unless you're sitting in the passenger seat. Don't let anyone else drive it unless they can prove they're insured to (fully comp doesn't mean they are), details can be checked here: ownvehicle.askmid.com/

I agree with dieselnut with the cash transfer, although you may also be able to do this at Post Offices (I do).

I'm sure there's other stuff I've forgotten, but others will come along to put that right.

If all this seems too much trouble, then trade it in. That's why folk do.

Edited by bathtub tom on 27/02/2015 at 17:14