Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - snaps042
I bought this car from new in France in 2012 and would like to register this car in the UK. However, to do this I need to find left dip headlights. This car was never intended for the UK market.

I asked a few French dealers before I left the country but they couldn't help.

If someone might be able to source some headlights for this vehicle, I would be forever grateful as I don't want to part with a car that works perfectly well simply because I can't find a suitable pair of left dip headlights.

Edited by snaps042 on 26/02/2015 at 06:53

Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - elekie&a/c doctor

You will need more than headlights to get it registered in the UK.

You will need more than headlights to get it registered in the UK.

Really? Please go on?

Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - madf

You need Type Approval.

Costs makers around £250,000.

Edited by madf on 26/02/2015 at 14:48

You need Type Approval.

Costs makers around £250,000.

So, what you're saying is that because this car wasn't sold in the UK, it's going to need 'Type Approval'?

I can drive it around the UK quite happily with it's current insurance etc. but the moment I want to register it, it's going to cost how much?!

Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - jc2

If you are resident in thr Uk,driving on foreign plates is illegal.Full type approval in not required;an SVA(single vehicle approval) is all that is needed.

If you are resident in thr Uk,driving on foreign plates is illegal.Full type approval in not required;an SVA(single vehicle approval) is all that is needed.

I have only been back in the UK 4 months so I have another 2 months in which to register it under this SVA programme, right?
Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - Vitesse6

I looked into this when I wanted to register a camper in the UK. Even though it was originally a UK vehicle that had been taken to France it had to have headlamps that dipped the right way and a speedo that read in miles per hour and not just KpH. This could not be handwritten numbers on the dial, but a proper printed overlay.

I think you may also need an EU certificate of conformity, in English. Dacia should be able to provide this for you for a fee.

If you are now resident in the UK you need to register it now. The six month limit is only for people visiting the UK. If stopped by the police you will need to be able to prove to their satisfaction that you are not resident here.

It is not illegal in itself to drive a foreign registered car if you are resident here, but your car ought to conform to UK rules, ie it must be taxed and have a valid MOT.

In the end I gave up as I couldn't get the headlamps and sold the camper in France and bought another one in the UK.

Edited by Vitesse6 on 26/02/2015 at 15:37

I looked into this when I wanted to register a camper in the UK. Even though it was originally a UK vehicle that had been taken to France it had to have headlamps that dipped the right way and a speedo that read in miles per hour and not just KpH. This could not be handwritten numbers on the dial, but a proper printed overlay.

I think you may also need an EU certificate of conformity, in English. Dacia should be able to provide this for you for a fee.

If you are now resident in the UK you need to register it now. The six month limit is only for people visiting the UK. If stopped by the police you will need to be able to prove to their satisfaction that you are not resident here.

It is not illegal in itself to drive a foreign registered car if you are resident here, but your car ought to conform to UK rules, ie it must be taxed and have a valid MOT.

In the end I gave up as I couldn't get the headlamps and sold the camper in France and bought another one in the UK.

Thank you for that. Its first MOT is due in May as is the insurance.

I'll sell it in March.

Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - elekie&a/c doctor

SVA no longer exists.You wll need an IVA.Look here;www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/individual-vehicle-app...l

So they change the word "single" to "individual":I wonder how much that has cost us taxpayers!

Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - focussed

As the vehicle was first registered in france it must have conformed to EU type approval otherwise you would not have been able to register it in france.

If it has EU type approval it can be registered in any country in the EU including the UK.

Look at the french registration document, the carte grise, look for the type approval number in section K, if it starts with the letter E it has eu type approval and you should not need a Certificate of Conformity from Dacia france to register it in the UK.

As for the headlamps etc why not just go to your local dacia dealer in the Uk? Or contact Dacia Uk?

As the vehicle was first registered in france it must have conformed to EU type approval otherwise you would not have been able to register it in france.

If it has EU type approval it can be registered in any country in the EU including the UK.

Look at the french registration document, the carte grise, look for the type approval number in section K, if it starts with the letter E it has eu type approval and you should not need a Certificate of Conformity from Dacia france to register it in the UK.

As for the headlamps etc why not just go to your local dacia dealer in the Uk? Or contact Dacia Uk?

I went to a local Dacia dealer during the first week I was back and they couldn't help me with the headlights.
Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - Brit_in_Germany

If they didn't make a RHD version, then there will be no RHD headlights available. For the MOT, would stuck on blanking strips to cut the dazzle be sufficient?

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 27/02/2015 at 13:02

Stick on strips won't do. to register the car you have to declare that the headlamps dip the correct way.

Beam deflectors would probably be ok for the MOT if the car was already registered here, but not for a new registration.

Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - Wackyracer

You can convert the originals. I've done it on old type headlamps with H4 bulbs by just cutting different location slots so the bulbs can be tilted the other way.

Here is a fairly good guide on how to convert projector types.

www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/80389-diy-how-to-conv.../

Edited by Wackyracer on 27/02/2015 at 20:39

so once you have done all that you have to sign a form to state that your car complies with the folowing from the vehicle certification agency:

Please read the written statements below, once all items apply to your vehicle, tick the relevant boxes and sign and date the statement at the bottom confirming that your vehicle now conforms to each of these points in full. Please note we can not accept any options other than those outlined below.

That the headlamps are UK specification (headlight beam dips to the left). Note: stickers, beam-benders / deflectors are not acceptable.

We can accept any one of the following options:

a) UK specification, left dipping, headlights that are used in replacement of the original factory fitted headlights

b) Original factory fitted UK specification headlights (dipping left as standard)

c) Original factory fitted headlights that are, through a standard feature of the vehicle, adjustable so that the beam can be changed from right dipping to left dipping

d) Original factory fitted flat-beam headlights (we can not accept a right dipping beam that is adjusted to flat-beam unless that is a standard feature of the vehicle, e.g. done via operation of a lever)

a) UK specification, left dipping, headlights that are used in replacement of the original factory fitted headlights

This quite simply!

Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - focussed

Dacia did make a RHD version- shipped in CKD form to South Africa built there in a Nissan factory and presumably sold and used there.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/dacia/logan-mcv-2006...y

If the parts were shipped to SA to build them there they were shipped from the logistics centre in Romania, so the rhd headlamps must exist in europe-the problem is getting hold of them!

Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - skidpan

Problem would be are the South African headlights to UK spec and "E" marked. If not they would be no use.

Problem would be are the South African headlights to UK spec and "E" marked. If not they would be no use.

Unless the rules have changed since I last took cars to Vosa for SVA tests, They don't have to be "E" marked or to "UK SPEC" They just have to have the right beam pattern, dipping to the left when tested by the inspector. I used to take a screw driver with me and adjust them there and then if the beam was not right.

My advice to the OP would be to call one of the VOSA testing stations and ask them. Both Edmonton and Southampton VOSA testing stations have very helpful staff.

Unless the rules have changed since I last took cars to Vosa for SVA tests, They don't have to be "E" marked or to "UK SPEC"

The current regs state:

All lights need to be E-marked and this mark must be visible on the lens or they will fail the IVA.

But I have heard of people who have had vehicles pass with non "E" marked lights. In these cases the tester has been able to satisfy himself that the lens meets the specification required. Not all testers have the knowledge to do this, most simply fail the vehicle when lights are not "E" marked.

Edited by skidpan on 02/03/2015 at 11:49

I've just read the IVA manual (dated March 2009) section on headlamps (section 25) page 1 of 8.

There is nothing stated refering to headlamp having to be approved to UK specification. They need to have the characteristics of a UK specification headlamp.

It only states that Gas Discharge Headlamps have to be "E" marked.

However, I do agree it can be a lottery as to getting a tester who can read the manual without making up rules of their own in the mean time.

I once had one use 2 hands and a foot to yank the fog light wiring from it's clips and then put it down as a failure due to unsecure wiring.

Edited by Wackyracer on 02/03/2015 at 12:32

I have just read the latest IVA manual (dated 2012) and it seems that even gas discharge headlamps do not have to be "E" marked if accompanied by evidence of compliance with the technical requirements.

It all changed since I last had any dealings with it then. At that time all the major sellers would list their products as being "E" marked as required by IVA and the chap across the road used to have fun when he imported Mustangs (and not just with headlamps).

I worked for a car importer about 12 years ago. we used to take about 30 cars a month for SVA testing, as they were all Jap imports made for the home (Japanese) market nothing was "E" marked.

Never had much of a problem with the headlamps apart from some needing the bulbs turning slightly or the aim needing adjustment.

Some of the testers used common sense and some just didn't know what common sense was.

They always used to insist on the rear fog lamps being "e" marked which was not a problem as we always fitted those ourselves (due to it not being a standard fitment in Japan) They also insisted on the cable for the rear fog lamp being double insulated which I just did to please them.

What I did find was depending which centre you went to, they all had some different interpretations of the rules.

Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - dadbif

Just over a year ago I imported my Citroen C3 Picasso from Spain, started by getting a Certificate of Conformity from the Spanish dealer, €100!, I then accessed the DVLA website that sets out the procedure, first thing you need to do is go through a process with NOVA, a new govt office, Notification Of Vehicle Arrival, I believe they are mainly concerned that no VAT is owing on the car, when they confirm by letter or email that they have received your letter with relevent details then you can carry on with the normal import and registration preocess as set out on the DVLA website. One setback is that none of the UK insurers witll accept a foreign NCD certificate, even though mine was with "Linea Direct", Direct Line would not honour it. You also have to insure the vehicle in order to tax it, I had to do this on the VIN number as I did not have a registration number at the time, and not many insurers are interested.

I ended up with DL because they would insurre with VIN only, 12 months later, on a UK plate, LV are quids cheaper.

Back on topic re headlamps, all I was required to do was supply a letter from a garage on VAT headed notepaper stating that the Speedo read in MPH, the headlamps had been changed to RHD, (I bought new) and that the foglamps and reversing lights had been swapped over. MY old headlamps are now driving around France, thanks to eBay..When I subsequently took it for MOT they did NOT look for E numbers, just checked the beam pattern... perhaps I was lucky, you could get a pedantic tester.

Best of luck

i should also add, when I used to drive it back and to from Spain I was able to drive it in UK under my Spanish insurance with no problems, however, as soon as you acquire a UK address it then becomes illegal to drive the vehicle other than from the port of entry to your home! Read the small print on the DVLA website..

Edited by dadbif on 03/03/2015 at 08:49

Dacia Logan MCV (2006) - Registering in the UK - TedCrilly

Going back to the first post........

The headlights themselves will have been manufactured by a 3rd party, not Dacia themselves. Someone like Hella or Valeo. Would it be possible to idenify the manufacturer and approach them direct rather than go through Dacia, who on the face of it seem totaly disintrested.

Why should the headlight makers be interested in supplying a one-off set of headlights?