Car insurance for learner drivers - Happy Blue!

My next new car will be temporary for me. I will use it for a few months whilst my oldest chid learns to drive and then it will go a member of staff. Then I shall get myself something 'proper'.

I have two options for insurance: -

1. Take insurance from day one with my son on it for a year; or

2. Only insure me and my wife and buy separate insurance for my son.

For the first option the choices are generally between Quinn Direct and Admiral (with telematics), with the prices swapping between them depending upon the model. The most expensive for the cars I am looking at is about £1,100 and the cheapest is £700. Not bad I think.

For the second option, the basic cover for SWMBO and me is about £400 plus I need to find the provisional drivers cover, but a couple of companies will not cover the Seat Toledo/Skoda Rapid twins but will cover the comparable Ibiza/Fabias. Odd....

This is my first foray into this type of thing, being my oldest child. Anyone got any recommendations/suggestions?

Car insurance for learner drivers - RT

I've heard that adding a young learner onto a policy is very cheap - and only goes sky-high when they pass their test - go figure!

Car insurance for learner drivers - gordonbennet

If your son is only going to drive it accompanied by you or your wife then it should be quite reasonable to just add him to the policy as that, then let him get his own insurance up and running on something more suitable (something he can scrape and not worry himself witless about) once he passes...or have i got the wrong end of the stick as usual.

No GB, bang on this time. All being well, if he passes within the insurance year I can remove him from the policy and he can his own on a much cheaper car.

Car insurance for learner drivers - alan1302

Makes sense to me. When they are under training and always with a qualified driver I would expect it to be cheaper than when they are newly qualified and out on thir own.

Car insurance for learner drivers - Falkirk Bairn

Locally you could hire a dual control car by the hour!

Supplementing the driving lessons with extra road time - IIRC it was £15.00

Cheaper than trying to buy / insure for a learner.

Car insurance for learner drivers - Chris M

As I've previously reported, I taught both of my sons to drive. Both were taught in my wife's old Punto. First son was covered by Co-Op Young Driver (with black box) until he passed, then covered as main driver under wife's insurance as it basically became his car.

When 2nd son reached 17 (about a year later) he was added as a learner and that made little difference to the premium. Once he passed, the premium did rise. Three drivers of one car became a bit inconvenient, so eldest son got his own car but insurance cost wasn't too bad as he had some driving experience. Youngest son then became main driver until 9 months ago, on his 19th birthday, he got his own insurance on his own car.

We used my wife's old car (which we had kept for the purpose) and full NCB to get both sons mobile at reasonable cost until they were earning enough to go solo.

Car insurance for learner drivers - Big John

We used Marmalade to insure our son when he was a learner. Its a seperate insurance that runs alongside your own car insurance

www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance?...Q

Since passing his test we have used a mixture of Direct Line and LV (depending on which car) usually insuring him as a main driver for a few weeks when he comes back from University.

One of our friends also used LV for provisional cover

Car insurance for learner drivers - SPK15

My sons first insurance was with ikube cost £3k - crazy price but has no choice as others quoted more. I am dreading the renewal...a tracker was fitter - cant driver 11pm-5am.

Others have been charged half the amount - but for north west london it was £3k.

Any one else found better deals - wonder what is the av price i should consider as a good price for 18y year 2.

Thanks All

I have found a stand alone insurance policy for learner drivers. Certianly cheaper than covering him within the main policy. I am aware of the rent a dual contral car by the hour, but the nearest location has moved from somewhere 15 minutes away at most to at least 30 minutes away. By that time he could have got some useful experience.

Thanks also for the advice once he passes his test - that will be fun!

Car insurance for learner drivers - Avant

When he passes his test, I believe it's cheaper with many insurance companies to have him as main driver and you and/or your wife as named drivers - rather than just himself.

Thanks - I would want to be able to drive his car anyway. Just in case.