Talbot - Fisholene (anti rust) Is it available in UK? - kiwikol

Hi - new to this forum and visiting UK later this year :-) I'm after some Fisholene (fish oil anti-rust) for squirting into the chassis, door panels and box sections. Works really well but can't find it in the UK. Anyone come across it? Alternative might be Dinitrol but like to stick with the devil I know!

Talbot - Fisholene (anti rust) Is it available in UK? - Cris_on_the_gas

Waxoyl is a good product and can be brought with applicator for chassis and box sections. it leaves a waxy coating that's supposed to resist corrosion

Talbot - Fisholene (anti rust) Is it available in UK? - Wackyracer

I recently bought some Dinitrol after it being recommended here. It is much better to apply than Waxoyl but, I might use Bilt Hamber inside the cavities as I can buy that in 5 litre cans and it also has a very good reputation for arresting rust.

Thanks for your replies guys. Yes, Waxoyl I've read about and some good reports, but haven't come across Bilt Hamber. Which of their many products do you use? I have a syringe and wander lead I could use in box sections. Where do I get it from? Much appreciate your interest, thanks. But still like to find some fisholene ;-) - magic!!

Talbot - Fisholene (anti rust) Is it available in UK? - gordonbennet

Bilt Hamber have their own website, easy enough to find, also sold on the evil bay, they offer lots more products than simple rustproofing.

I've used both the underbody and cavity waxes, they handily come in large aerosol form as well as bulk, with long wand probes with proper diffusers at the end of the pipe.

In warm weather i didn't have a single blockage and the end result has been very satisfying, as a bonus it smells nicer and the smell is gone in a couple of days at most, not the several weeks the other takes to clear.

Used to be a waxoyl fan but no longer, BH is somewhat more expensive than the former but with less waste and an infinitely cleaner and more pleasant job i'm a convert, will be doing the Landcruiser come the warm weather.

They also offer their own rust converter, if thats appropriate in your case.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/02/2015 at 14:20

Talbot - Fisholene (anti rust) Is it available in UK? - bathtub tom

What you gonna use as moisturiser gb, now you're not covering yourself in Waxoyl once a year?

You are a cheeky boy Bathtub..:-) well knocking a almost full 5 litre pack of Millers fully synthetic gear oil off the top shelf in the garage/tip, which forced the extra wide top off and contents everywhere should do for a start....it's never the cheapo stuff that goes flying, the air turned a funny shade of blue.

Don't worry, i've got a auto transmssion plus both diffs plus transfer box oil changes to do on the old Landcruiser when the weather picks up, plus rustproofing, plus annual sort out on the Scooby, so every chance i'll be smothering meself in various grades of the very best dino skin care money can buy and i won't rust, eat your heart out Olay.

Just out of interest, i'm getting the cambelt changed on Monday on the old girl, fixed price from Toyota dealer far lower than an indy and not much more than i could buy a decent quality camkit for, free courtesy car for the day too.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/02/2015 at 22:15

Talbot - Fisholene (anti rust) Is it available in UK? - Wackyracer

That's interesting GB, When I bought a few bits for my Toyota from the local Toyota franchise they were rather expensive, Was almost £30 for a thermostat.

I found Toyota's own servicing very competitive when i had the Hilux, and this same dealer, though now under different ownership, more than happy for me to bring in my bulk bought oil which saved me a lot of money.

Thanks gb. Am I correct in thinking it's the BH dynaxS50 that is appropriate to squirt through chassis members? It appears only avaiable in 750ml and 5lt. How much would I need to treat a small campervan? - more than 750ml obviously but 5lt is overkill. Trying to visualize how viscous it is and whether it would spray through my hand operated syringe and wand. Thanks for your guidance - much appreciated.

How much do you need, thats a thorny one.

I really went to town on the Subaru Outback we picked up last year (had it LPG converted before treating so it's got to last as long as possible), Used Hydrate 80 as a rust converter followed by painting over the H80 and the worse subframe sections with Epoxy Mastic before using the underbody waxes.

I used S50 as you rightly say on the inside of cavities and UB as a final underbody coating....UB hopefully able to withstand abrasion, we'll see how well it's stood up when i get underneath in the spring.

I'm going by memory here, and i've only used the aerosols so can't comment on how free flowing the bulk would be, i think i used around 4 to 6 of each sort but that was going inside the sills/wheelarches/wings/doors/tailgate etc as well as through the insides of the chassis/subfame members.

The aerosol extension probes make the job a pleasure rather than a chore, though obviously where access and visibility are onside just to put the standard nozzle on and spray as you would paint.

Obviously a campervan is a bigger project, does the outside of the chassis need treating too or have you kept that painted so it can be pressure washed more aggressively after winter?

Just for comparison purposes, getting a large 4x4 or small/medium campervan professionally rustproofed will cost upwards of £400*, so i reckon to spend half the pro cost on good products (and do a better job due to being able to treat and paint obvious rust before using the waxes? i don't know, maybe yes maybe no), i expect to spend £200 on treating the Landcruiser this year though still have some product left over from doing the Scooby.

*that's a Waxoyl job, if you require Dinitrol or other products the price goes up.

All i can say is that i would not put myself through the hell of waxoyling a car again, but using the products we're talking about does make the job a lot more bearable if not quite a pleasure, though pre preparation, cleaning well and removing the heaviest rust is key.

Talbot - Fisholene (anti rust) Is it available in UK? - jc2

I diluted Waxoyl with white spirit so that it would spray thro' a paraffin gun but then you have to leave it in the open for the white spirit to evaporate-works well tho'.

Good point Jc2, a simple email to BH would answer queries about application/dilution and what to use if the 5 litre bulk pack is considered, probably easier/safer for sending home too, (NZ?), than aerosols.

BH helpful and courteous with enquiries, i asked them a question about something and got a prompt friendly reply.

Thanks all. No, not thinking about bringing it back to NZ - I'd still use fisholene here! Am planning to treat a van in the UK in a month or two which I expect will need the treatment more so than it would down here where the lack of water is often more of a problem! Thanks again for your help with this - much appreciated. One other request - please arrange a good summer up there ;-)