Do you like it love it or loathe it? - Alby Back
Do you like your own car? Do you get in it and look forward to the journey? Is it suitable for all your needs and worth whatever you paid or are paying for it ?

Or is it the bane of your life, a needed but irritating financial burden?

Presumably most people who'd hang around a motoring forum have at least some enthusiasm for the subject.

I've had a lot of cars, 40 or more at the last count, but then I am a bit old. Some of them have been quite nice things, others more utilitarian, some were thrilling to drive, others were more of an effort. However, the common denominator for all of them was that I'd still rather have had them than not.

To this day, despite decades of having to cover substantial annual mileages, by and large I still get a good feeling when I turn an engine on in preparation for a journey, I look forward to the feeling of driving and still enjoy it.

Do you still like driving, or if life allowed you to do without your car, would you rather not bother?

Edited by Avant on 11/02/2015 at 23:54

Do you like it love it or loath it? - dan86

I do enjoy driving but only when the traffic is light and if in the right car. If I could I'd have someone drive me around in a Bentley or a Roles Royce For the mundane day to day trips like shopping etc.

Do you like it love it or loath it? - gordonbennet

I've just bought an old Landcruiser Colorado (90 series), and it's rekindled my driving enjoyment again, it's a nostalgia thing in some ways because my favourite vehicle of all i've owned was a 70 series Landcruiser, and i suppose the one i've just bought is the natural heir to that sturdy unbreakable old beast.

Cos i drive lorries for a living (well attend the steering wheel in modern lorry while it drives itself), i've come to differentiate between work mode and my time my own car mode, at work i'm steady and have infinite patience, it goes with the territory, but increasingly found myself hating every second of my commutes unless the road was clear, the old Landcruiser despite being petrol auto is more lorry like than car like to drive and that impatience/frustration with the hordes of incompetents out there has now largely disappeared.

Doubt i'll ever go back to a normal car again, if anything car like it will be another something older and interesting to tinker with as a hobby, the modern car increasingly does nothing for me any more.

Do you like it love it or loath it? - Alby Back
Have you kept the Merc too GB?
Do you like it love it or loath it? - dadbif
Roles Royce??? Tut tut....
Do you like it love it or loath it? - RT
Do you like your own car? Do you get in it and look forward to the journey? Is it suitable for all your needs and worth whatever you paid or are paying for it ? Or is it the bane of your life, a needed but irritating financial burden? Presumably most people who'd hang around a motoring forum have at least some enthusiasm for the subject. I've had a lot of cars, 40 or more at the last count, but then I am a bit old. Some of them have been quite nice things, others more utilitarian, some were thrilling to drive, others were more of an effort. However, the common denominator for all of them was that I'd still rather have had them than not. To this day, despite decades of having to cover substantial annual mileages, by and large I still get a good feeling when I turn an engine on in preparation for a journey, I look forward to the feeling of driving and still enjoy it. Do you still like driving, or if life allowed you to do without your car, would you rather not bother?

I'm with you on all those sentiments - perhaps more so because I'd be so attached to cars it always took years to choose a replacement, so not so many as 40. And several of them I'd have kept longer but my needs changed. When I look back, I changed a couple "too early".

As an enthusiastic petrolhead, I enjoyed the early part of my career when I was doing 50,000/year but gradually reduced until I hated driving by the time I retired - but 2 years retirement without the time pressures of "normal" life has got the enjoyment back - now, my idea of a nice drive is the 600 miles up to NW Scotland towing the caravan, puts a huge smile on my face.

Do you like it love it or loath it? - mss1tw

Even though it's nothing special, three years of all weather motorbiking a while back still make me appreciate being able to drive when it's cold wet and grim outside.

I'm a little attached to it as well, but that always happens to me with vehicles I end up keeping a while.

Do you like it love it or loath it? - bazza

I'm lucky to live in S wales and drive /ride regularly through some of Britain's finest roads up to NW Wales. For me nothing can beat an empty road on a long summer evening, riding or driving, it doesn't matter. And it really doesn't matter what I'm piloting either, I get a great feeling from being in the zone, when everything is just right and can go on for hours! it's a different feeling on a wet dark Monday evening stuck in traffic though!

Do you like it love it or loath it? - mss1tw

I'm lucky to live in S wales and drive /ride regularly through some of Britain's finest roads up to NW Wales. For me nothing can beat an empty road on a long summer evening, riding or driving, it doesn't matter. And it really doesn't matter what I'm piloting either, I get a great feeling from being in the zone, when everything is just right and can go on for hours! it's a different feeling on a wet dark Monday evening stuck in traffic though!

Same here baz. If I'm 'feeling it' I don't care what I'm driving, I'm just enjoying the act itself

Do you like it love it or loath it? - csgmart

Good topic.

I've probably had approaching to 20 different cars in the time I've been driving and would like to think I've got a fair few more to come.

Like RT there have been a couple of cars I think I let go too early and only 1 car I didn't like at all. So, on balance I've been pretty happy with most of the cars I've owned and driven and yes, I still look forward to driving. Like others on here I get increasingly frustrated by congested roads and am lucky enough to be able to choose the time I venture out each day for work (either very early or leave it until the rush hour traffic has died down a bit).

Do you like it love it or loath it? - oldtoffee

I've almost but not quite lost count of all the car I've owned and driven in 43 years. Best by some margin have been a Golf GTi Mk II and a Subaru Legacy Estate JDM 280 bhp twin scroll turbo. Both cars more enjoyable than a 911 SC, Volvo T5, other Golf GTIs, Mondeos and Focuses (best real world cars for the money) and other VW humdrums. I did have 2 rusty years with an Alfasud Sprint Veloce - it stole my heart.

Not really had a bad car apart from two company cars foisted upon me first was a VW Derby 1.1 and an Audi 100 2.0 petrol auto (circa 1986.)

Do you like it love it or loath it? - artill

Next month it will be 30 years since I started driving. I guess I have had about 30 cars over that time including 2 company cars. I still love driving, but have to admit working from home saves me a commute which I dont miss.

Best car? A toss up between a 405 Mi16 and Vauxhall Monaro. Worst. I dont think there was a truely bad one.

Looking forward to the next 30 years too, but not convinced cars are getting any better now, and suspect they will get less appealing as time moves on.

Do you like it love it or loath it? - craig-pd130

Excellent thread :)

I've been a petrolhead since I used to 'help' my dad work on his motorbikes when I was a schoolboy, and I still get that good feeling when getting behind the wheel (and triply so when I take out my bike).

My current car (facelifted Volvo V60 D4) is not quite my overall favourite - the engine is definitely the best I've had in any car I've owned, but my previous 2011 V60 had a slightly smoother, calmer ride quality in all conditions.

If I could put the D4 engine into the 2011 chassis, that would be all the car I'd ever reasonably need. Apart from an early Jensen Interceptor III for high days and holidays :)

Do you like it love it or loathe it? - Avant

Great thread - many thanks Alby.

It's good to know that there are still some of us around who still enjoy driving, even when doing high mileages as you do.

I managed to enjoy it even living near Reading where traffic gradually got heavier; but enjoyment has greatly increased now that we're living on the Dorset / Somerset border, with less traffic than there was in Berkshire 40 years ago. On Sunday I drove 5 miles on country lanes to play the organ in a neighbouring village, and saw no other cars on the way there, and one on the way back (and three groups of horses).

I also think that you have to like your actual car, as well as the idea of driving. I've only had 20 cars in 45 years of owning cars (aboiut 12 more if I count SWMBO's) - although that's still quite a few! I've made the wrong choice only twice: the Chrysler Horizon (ferociously heavy steering and that awful Simca engine - should have paid a bit more and had a Golf) and the diesel B-class (should have had the petrol). I think there are plenty of cars out there which are fun to drive, whatever one's budget.

Let's hope we can all carry on for a bit longer.

Do you like it love it or loathe it? - Manatee

I still love driving, at least when not in a hold up. Fortunately I no longer have to "be somewhere" every day starting and ending at the busiest travelling times.

Time was when the enjoyable part for me was "making progress". Now that any kind of enthusastic approach is quite likely to mean points on licence, my enjoyment comes more from driving as well as possible - journeys seem to go much quicker when one is absorbed in the process.

I bought an old MX5 3 years ago, just for enjoyment. No more than nippy, but sitting 6 inches above the road and a reasonably firm ride make it seem fast, and I love its directness compared with my everyday car. I'm sure I enjoy it much more than I could a much more powerful machine; I had a go in an F-Type roadster last year with 380PS and frankly stunning performance, but really it was an exercise in not pressing the accelerator - utterly pointless on real roads except as a status symbol for thise who want one, and I don't believe I am only saying that because I haven't a spare £60,000 to spend on it.

Do you like it love it or loathe it? - davecooper
Ten to Fifteen years ago I loved driving. It didn't matter what, Sports Car, Transit Van, Family saloon, Tractor, it didn't matter, I just loved driving. I have now been driving for forty years, own a modern, well equipped and capable car and only thing I look forward to when I get in the car is listening to music. The joy of driving has all but gone for me, congested roads, endless roadworks, terrible road surfaces and idiotic drivers have seen to that.
Do you like it love it or loathe it? - daveyjp

I still enjoy getting in the car and driving, but on my terms! 2,000 miles round Scotland last year in my (petrol) B class was excellent - driving north of the border is never a chore.

The car more than meets our needs, has proved very reliable over 4 years and 40,000 miles and more importantly paid for! I won't be changing it any time soon, which for me isn't usual - owning a car for over 3 years is a novelty.

However local driving in rush hour is a drag, so I now use the trains. Frequent, generally on time, services I use are never overcrowded and very reasonably priced.

Do you like it love it or loathe it? - Snakey

I've been a petrolhead since I passed my test at 17 - and on my 40th+ car now I still have enthusiasm for motoring. I'm still interested in the mechanics and technology of cars but the sucessive car hating councils/governments and congestion etc have battered my driving pleasure a lot in the last few years!

I hate my commute with a passion, but on Saturday I took my daughter out for a hour (convertible, top down!) and it was nice to enjoy the journey for a change.

Do you like it love it or loathe it? - Alby Back
I have a major clients in Edinburgh and I live in Cheshire. I have to meet with them about once a month and I generally ask for an early morning meeting so I'm doing the driving before the roads get too busy. In the summer months it's a delightful journey once North of Preston and the best bit is when I turn off the M74 at Moffat and head up the A701 "Devil's Beeftub" road. It twists, winds and climbs and falls through some of the most stunningly beautiful parts of the Scottish Borders for about 50 miles until you reach the outskirts of the city.

Proper driving road.

Do you like it love it or loathe it? - Wackyracer

I still enjoy driving, In 30 years of driving I have always had a car (or 2 at a time, sometimes) and think I'm only on the 11th one now. I tend to look after them too much as a friend tells me.

Even driving for a living is a pleasure (unless your on an Oxford street run).

I did own 2 convertibles and a didn't enjoy them much at all, I much prefer a car with a roof and air conditioning.

Do you like it love it or loathe it? - corax
Do you like your own car? Do you get in it and look forward to the journey? Is it suitable for all your needs and worth whatever you paid or are paying for it ? Or is it the bane of your life, a needed but irritating financial burden?

Do you still like driving, or if life allowed you to do without your car, would you rather not bother?

I've liked all my cars, I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. There are aspects of them I was disappointed with, but I don't regret any of them. I have usually bought something practical, but with more of an interest in the engine configuration.

One thing I have never done is bought a medium Golf sized hatchback. I have come close, but always ended up with large hatchbacks or estates or saloons. Strange. It will always have to be fairly practical though.

I would never let a car be a financial burden now. In the past I have had the odd loan, and hated the fact that it was sitting there losing money while I was still paying the interest. I get a kick out of spending increasingly smaller amounts on cars that still have lot's of life left in them, one of the advantages of modern cars. And not having the worry of the odd ding here and there. It's very refreshing, and it'll probably be the way I continue my motoring from now.

Enjoying driving depends a lot on where you live, and how far your commute is. I'm lucky in that I have some nice quiet country lanes that are off the beaten track, despite living in the South East.

And Scotland, well, that is driving nirvana.

Do you like it love it or loathe it? - Bobbin Threadbare
I will reach my 7th year of full licence this year. I have always liked driving; I like the idea of being under my own steam, so to speak.

I do miss my MX5 terribly, but the CRZ is quite fun to drive. The roads of Cumbria are great in a little convertible though!

I also don't like the thought of a c segment box....I had a Focus and it was nice but I will either go large again like the Mazda6 or bigger, or preferably a little sporty jobby!
Do you like it love it or loathe it? - Happy Blue!

I still enjoy driving after 33 years. However the limited nose to tail traffic I have to face drives me mad, especially when people try to gain unfair advantage (usually in fancy cars); like the Porsche Panamera last week that overtook a line of traffic at lights and then nipped in front of the first car, so he could turn left, without being caught for more than one change of light.

I have enjoyed most of my cars, but the ones I miss are a

• 1993 Handa CRX V-tec
  • 1999 Peugeot 605 TD
  • 2003 Subaru Forester
  • 2005 Subaru Outback
  • 2009 Ford S-Max

The ones I'm not bothered about are the Honda Accords x 2, Mercedes C200 Classic, Volvo S80 2.9 and Saab 9000LPT. None of them bad, but somehow not as good as they could have been. I am realising as I grow old that whilst I like a load of toys on a car, sometimes the driving experience is so good, you simply enjoy the car anyway. Certainly the five on my list were sold only because of good reasons, not that I was bored.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 12/02/2015 at 21:34