Nissan Qashqai - Diesel: Still worth buying w/ new emissions focus? - joeliok

Hey there,

First time poster - please be kind!

Looking to buy a new car (Qashqai). Currently thinking the 1.5 diesel engine over the 1.2 petrol. Hopefully better for longer distance, fuel economy, better resale value etc.

My worry - with a growing focus on the particulate emissions of diesel, if I'm buying a car for the next 8 years or so, is it likely this will be a bad investment - should I opt for the 1.2l instead? Will the diesel be likely to have a harder time to sell in 5-8 years time?

Quite a forward facing, future considering thought - but important if I'm (or anyone else!) is about to shell out ~25k on a new car...!

Thanks in advance!

Joeliok

Nissan Qashqai - Diesel: Still worth buying w/ new emissions focus? - gordonbennet

Welcome.

So long as you cover enough mileage and the right conditions to keep the DPF happy, then the Diesel should be fine.

Who knows whats planned for the future for revenue raising, thats what it is, it's likely IMO that Diesels will be hit, the increase in anti Diesel propaganda as a softening up process to get the right (noisy fodder) people on side before it kicks off makes me think that.

In 5 to 8 years time the car will have taken a tremendous knock in values whatever its fuel, you'll sell it easier if you look after it and maintain it better than is recommended by the maker.

Bare with a me a sec...most of the cars like yours for sale will have seen maybe 5 oil changes in 100k miles, and may not have had a gearbox change at all, if you can advertise your car as having had an engine oil change every 10k and a gearbox oil change at 50k, proven by receipts for the oils and filters even if you DiY interim services, and you've kept it clean and salt free underneath, with the odd greasing up of brake pipes etc, then your car will be vastly more desirable than the usual semi neglected alternatives.

Your car becomes an easy sale privately, which is where you will get the best price, if you always trade in and couldn't imagine a private sale then igonore the above, any old neglect will do..:-)

As a bonus, good servicing means your car is better whilst in your ownership too.

IT's OK, there are some normal posters here too, so don't clear off just yet.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/02/2015 at 21:48

Nissan Qashqai - Diesel: Still worth buying w/ new emissions focus? - daveyK_UK

While the 1.5 diesel is common and proven to be ok, the 1.6 diesel is a lot better and doesn't suffer the same DPF issues.

Nissan Qashqai - Diesel: Still worth buying w/ new emissions focus? - RobJP

Nothing really to add to what GB has said. A very well written post, that explains it all.

Nissan Qashqai - Diesel: Still worth buying w/ new emissions focus? - Happy Blue!

Currently driving a Qashqai Tekna 1.6dCi. It is an excellent car. Irrespective of government intervention I cannot see this model lacking in interest over the years.

Nissan Qashqai - Diesel: Still worth buying w/ new emissions focus? - Avant

I'm always one for going for the bigger engine where there's a choice as so often you get more performance with very little loss in economy.

But it's a pity that Nissan won't offer the 1.6 engine in anything but top Tekna trim on the Qashqai. The list price of nearly £27,000 puts it into TESSA territory (There Exist Several Seductive Alternatives).