Toyota Verso 1.8 petrol 2009 ,very low mpg - esper

Hi

have verso from 8 months and from the beginnig mpg was low, about 31-33mpg average. after recent oil change on ow20 from 5w30 is even lower- about 29-30 ,

Toyota found nothing in service check.

every couple of days have to pump some air into all tyres as pressure regularly going down although valves in old tyres are replaced.2 tyres need to be replaced soon and 1 tyre is mishaped. need also tracking .

Generaly speaking when drive have a feeling of vehicle heaviness and sticking strongly to road, not normal or easy rolling

question: is it possible the tyre condition or diffrent engine oil can have so sever impact on mpg?

Is it worthy to invest in better tyres like mich.saver + or look around for other vehicle, even diesel version ( 2.0 d4d) although I do only 8-9k/per year , read about some problems with dfw and dpf from lates 2010 in verso, if its true.

thanks

Edited by esper on 02/02/2015 at 20:16

Toyota Verso 1.8 petrol 2009 ,very low mpg - RobJP

To start with, what the hell are you doing driving around with slow punctures continually ? Even worse, a mis-shapen tyre, that is a blowout waiting to happen. Be responsible, to yourself, to any passengers, and to other road users, and GET THEM FIXED, or get the tyres changed.

HJ has a 'real MPG' section - according to that, people with the 1.8 Verso are averaging 36 mpg. If a lot of your driving is in town, or short trips from cold, then 30mpg might be entirely reasonable.

You may find that you have brakes that are binding, or the wheel/tyre geometry is out - that would explain a 'heavy' feeling in the car. Again, the worn-out tyres, slow punctures and the mis-shaped tyre won't be helping you there.

Lastly, regarding your tyres, and the poor condition they are in : if you had an accident, there is a little clause in your insurance (it's in every insurance policy) which states that YOU are responsible for keeping your car in a roadworthy condition. Failure to do so can invalidate your policy.

Toyota Verso 1.8 petrol 2009 ,very low mpg - esper

BIG THANKS for warning on drive Safety and tip on insurance clause!

I checked tyres and there was no puncture , at least tyre fitters couldnt find it. There is some corrosion on rims but sealant was putted to prevent air leak.

front brake pads were also replaced on original ones by these fitters and now remeber that a "heavy roll feeling" was even more after that b. pads replacement.

Went to other garage - they checked the wheels were rotating properly on neutral from slope - diagnose: b,pads were fitted properly.looks like I will have to visit other garage again.

Fitters temporary put a mis-shapen tyre in the back to help with drive but not mentioned about danger ! Now I am going to buy and replace ASAP a set 2 tyres at least as I have one good one bad tyre in the front and in the back ( that mis-shapen).

I was not aware it can cause so much risk as last service check in Toyota said nothing about tyre conditions despite my reports of poor mpg ( town 29 -30, log distance 32-33.5 max.) and bad tyres conditions .even still have 3 months remaining extended warranty from Toyota dealer.

Understand also why I was paid quite quickly by insurer last time when experienced an serious accident last year ( third party fault, car had only for a week ) but had a new set of tyres then ( HP primacy).After that and advice from HJ decided to buy again the same model verso 1.8 - this time from Toyota Dealer as thought it would be more safe.

unfortunately they managed to sell me car with budget tyres on low tread legal limit ,quite worn out , worn out brake pads and discs ( noticed later) and signs of some tyres damage on side.

I took a photos all of it and requested for couple of months a new parts /refund but nothing happened as its "wear and tear" and it was guarantee that I can drive up to 10k on theses tyres . additionaly they had to repair other cosmetic things which I reported them after car purchase so were not happy.

Edited by esper on 02/02/2015 at 23:26