KIA Picanto - Picanto or i10 (automatic) - sborthwick

Hi

I am looking for a car for my wife as her first car. We are considering the following:

2010 Kia Picanto (old shape) - £4.5k

2011 Kia Picanto (new shape) - £6.5k

2010 Hyundai i10 (old shape) - £5.5k

Can anyone give their recommendations? We are leaning towards the 2010 Picanto as its the cheapest and still has 2 years of the 7 year warranty remaining

KIA Picanto - Picanto or i10 (automatic) - oldtoffee

My wife had a 2009 Picanto for 2 years, 1.1 auto and now has a 2013 i10 1.2 manual. Both really good cars IMO. The i10 is more refined especially the engine on the motorway and suspension around town but the Picanto was fine and the auto very good but it sapped performance and the mpg figures Kia gace were out by 20 mpg! The i10 is much nippier and seems to have a bit more passenger space but I easily fitted in both at 6ft and 15 stone.

If you go for the Picanto make sure its been properly serviced on time and preferably by Kia main dealers so your remaining warranty will be 100% and out of warranty you may get some goodwill from Kia should anything fall off.

KIA Picanto - Picanto or i10 (automatic) - sborthwick

Thanks for the reply. So by your mpg comments you only got late 20s to the gallon?

KIA Picanto - Picanto or i10 (automatic) - Happy Blue!

For around town in a small automatic, 30mpg is pretty normal if not good.

In all the petrol automatic cars I ever drove, I rarely got better than 22mpg (the cars were bigger). However if you are only driving 5,000 mils pa, the cost of fuel is small proportion of the annual running costs.

5,000 miles at 25mpg = 200 gallons = 909litres at £1.05ppl = £955pa. Even at 40mpg the saving is less than £360. Depreciation/insurance/servicing add up to a lot more.

KIA Picanto - Picanto or i10 (automatic) - madf

38mpg around town in Jazz auto,,,

KIA Picanto - Picanto or i10 (automatic) - skidpan

38mpg around town in Jazz auto,,,

But you will not get a Jazz at the age the OP is looking for within their budget.

The fuel saving would never cover the extra spend on the purchase.

And the CVT in the Jazz is like all CVT's, the work of the devil.

KIA Picanto - Picanto or i10 (automatic) - oldtoffee

I recall being surprised that the offical combined mpg was mid 50s which I thought must be optimistic and it was as we got mid 30s. Then read lots of other Kia and Hyundai owner experiences of the same. Wasn't a show stopper for us doing about 7000 miles a year.

KIA Picanto - Picanto or i10 (automatic) - Avant

Most small automatics are so sluggish that you need a lot of right foot to make them move - hence poor fuel consumption. Unfortunately if you need an automatic this is something you have to live with.

Edited by Avant on 30/01/2015 at 00:02