Ford Focus Zetec 5 Dr 1.6 Tdci (2011 mark3) - Control panel lights and cAN bus issues - auldain

I am having problems with control panel lights on my 2011 mark 3 Ford Focus Zetec 5 door hatchback 1.6 tdci. (32000 miles). Purchased s/h November 2014.

When the ignition is switched on, the halo light surrounding the radio on/off button, and the hazard warning switch, along with the heating controls, the steering wheel controls, and external lights switch (but NOT the radio control panel switches) all light up. However, once the engine is started and running, the radio and hazard illuminated switches go out, while the heating controls and headlight switches remain illuminated.

When the engine is started, if the headlights are then turned on, the lights radio on/off and the hazard switches lights come back on (but the rest of the radio panel switches remain unlit). Still with engine running, if the radio is then switched on, all of the previously unlit switches on the radio panel light up.

Sometimes when I switch off the engine, leaving the radio playing, and the head lights switched on, and open the drivers door, the radio automatically switches off and the "lights on" alert sounds, and on locking the car, both of the dashboard screens and all the switch lights go off. This is what I assume is the correct operation.

Most times, however, on opening the drivers door, the radio stays on and playing, and the "lights on" warning doesn't sound. Even after locking and the car, the radio will remain switched on and playing, and the information screen above the radio stays lit. On the occasions when the radio doesn't switch off automatically, and I switch it off before locking the car, the screen above the radio stays illuminated (showing the date and time) for some minutes before going off.

Strangely, every time the front passenger door is opened, the radio will without fail automatically switch off as it should. The "lights On" warning however, doesn't sound.

I have had the car for 2 months and these problems have been present throughout. The car had a 2 month warranty from dealer, and they have replaced the radian control panel (done yesterday) but this has not cured any of the issues detailed above.

There has also been one instance of returning to the car in a car park to find all of the side windows fully open (the car has "global opening /closing"), and another occassion where the radiator cooling fan stayed on after the car was locked - cold day after a short run of 15 miles, air con switched off, and temp gauge showing normal reading - the fan when off after car restarted and switched off.

Yesterday, for the first time the amber engine warning symbol came on. The dealer found a fault code (didn't say what it was) but a reprogramming was done. The light has not come back on.

From purchase the car is a little hesitant on pick up away from standstill and between 1st and 2nd. It also appears to be producing poor fuel consumption. After filling up and resetting the MPG computer, on a 120 mile run (all motorway) at 60/65 mph, the recorded MPG was 42. Official fig 68mpg so realistically expected to see 55+ on this type of journey.

Can one of your contributors help explain

1 the correct sequence of illuminated switches on this car particularly the lights on the switches on the radio control panel

and also with the likely causes of

1 the radio control panel switch illumination

2 the failure of opening the drivers door, to switch off the radio, and sound the "lights on" warning

3 the cooling fan and window opening issues

4 the mpg/ amber engine warning symbol and the poor fuel consumption

As an aside I have a friend who runs a bus company and has Bosch diagnostic testing equipement. He found the following errors (BEFORE the car when into the dealer).

In respect of the engine warning light,

Engine Management System

Error : CAN data bus. Malfunction

And re the instrumentation system,

Instrumentation

Error : Instrument cluster. Configuration error