Mitsubishi Colt CZ1 1.1 - Mitsubishi Colt beige mayo in oil cap - ulysses

Hi

Just went to see the Colt to buy, 59k miles 56 reg. Lady owner vendor kept saying "I hardly use it", which made me wonder if it had been used enough as it was a very stiff ride, gears, steering, pedals. She seemed to genuinely not use it and only done up to 6k p/a.

There was a coating of beige creamy stuff in the oil cap.

Just condensation? She put asking price £1900 and when I left said she wasn't going to haggle at all because she thinks the car is mint because she "never uses it". It didn't feel like a fun purchase with the possible head gasket failure hanging in the balance.

Walk away or possible good car for many years to come?

Mitsubishi Colt CZ1 1.1 - Mitsubishi Colt beige mayo in oil cap - RobJP

Probably condensation.

But is it worth taking the chance ?

Mitsubishi Colt CZ1 1.1 - Mitsubishi Colt beige mayo in oil cap - Railroad.

One careful lady owner. A huge positive selling point isn't it? I assume it's low mileage too.

'Mayo' in the cap is oil condensation, caused by either the engine running too cool, or most likely having mostly done short journeys. Neither are good for a car engine, but that doesn't mean don't buy it. Just give it some welly and start putting some miles on it. Give it frequent oil and filter changes too.

Mitsubishi Colt CZ1 1.1 - Mitsubishi Colt beige mayo in oil cap - ulysses

You guys are awesome!

How do you haggle with an up-tight vendor who does not know how to haggle? She seems peed off by "lots of interest" from potential buyers, said she would keep it for me till Friday, gave me a cold hard stare but won't haggle the asking price when I return. Where's the fun in that? :( It's got MOT advisories and by her own admission is well due for a service.

Do you think an old car (9 years) hardly used (59k) can loosen up? At least the good thing about 100k bangers is they are "worn in."

"One lady owner" is only good if the lady's paid good money to look after the car. "One lady owner" could also mean underpaid, "I have no idea what that thing is" (the dipstick), and "I only use it to go up the road." Yikes. LOL.

Thanks again guys I love this forum.