Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Diesel Hatchback choice - Dingle232

My other half is looking at a Mercedes Benz A class (amongst others), 6 months to a year old in either A180 or A200 guise. She does the mileage to justify a diesel and wants a car with a really nice spec.

Are there any issues with them and are they MB engines fitted to them?

An alternative is the Mazda 3 2.2 Skyactiv diesel which has an excellent spec but I know nothing about the reliability of the latest diesels - I know the others had some issues.

If these are not good options are there any other reliable ones to consider? Needs to be economical enough but with enough poke to be able to deal with overtaking and motorways. Must have cruise, AC, if possible built in nav.

She's previously had Golf's no issues at all but would like a change. Budget is around £22k.

Thanks in advance.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Diesel Hatchback choice - brum

If these have the engines mounted in the same way as the older models, I think i read that changing a glowplug is nigh on impossible.

If these have the engines mounted in the same way as the older models, I think i read that changing a glowplug is nigh on impossible.

The A Class?

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Diesel Hatchback choice - RobJP

the diesels in the A class vary - the A180 diesels are a Renault 1.5 litre unit - nothing wrong with that, it's one of the best diesel engines around, and has been in various vehicles for a long time.

The A200 and A220 diesels are Mercedes own 2.1 litre unit - again, a long-established engine.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Diesel Hatchback choice - Avant

The Mercedes engine may be long-established - but so is the noise, particularly if it's mated to an automatic gearbox. She'd have to try one and see if she can live with either that or the lower performance of the 1.5 unit.

If she's been happy with a Golf but wants a change, would an Audi A3 be change enough? In her position I think it's what I'd go for, although a BMW would be on the shortlist too.

Edited by Avant on 20/01/2015 at 15:44

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Diesel Hatchback choice - daveyK_UK

DS4

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Diesel Hatchback choice - 72 dudes

A few too many incorrect responses here, guys!

Brum, the new A Class is a completely different animal to the old model (2005-12). No slant angled engines with poor access

The A180 CDi is NOT a Renault 1.5. It's a Mercedes 1.8 and is very smooth, quiet and torquey. I've had one on loan today while my old style A180 CDi was in for a service and MOT.

Avant - you are thinking of your old B Class which like mine, had a 2.0 litre diesel, which I agree is quite old school and rumbly.

So Dingle, get her to try the A180 CDi first. It's much quicker than the figures suggest and the auto gearbox is a gem (not CVT like the old model)

The A200 CDi DOES have the 2.1 diesel as RobJP says, and it's not known for its refinement, but will be quicker.

A word of caution, the model I had today was a Sport with optional AMG 18" wheels and comedy rubber band tyres. Although not harsh, the ride was crashy around town over lumps and potholes. Stick to SE trim or Sport with 17" wheels.

P.S. the car I had today is up for sale (ex demo) at an eye watering £24995. it's done 3k miles but has loads of extras like Comand Nav, F/R sensors and LED lights.

Thanks guys that's helpful if I'm still not altogether convinced by the engine but will encourage her to have a drive.

Slight aside but we have also seen a fully spec'd up Mazda 3 which is lovely but as I mentioned above I seem to remember reading horror stories about Mazda diesels of a certain generation. Is the 2.2 in the latest variant 3 plagued by particular problems or have they ironed them out? It does look a really nice car but I know nothing about them.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Diesel Hatchback choice - pd

Some A180's had a 1.8 Mercedes engine - it seems to depend on the exact model but the vast majority have a 1.5 litre Renault engine now with most (all?) of the 1.8 Merc engined versions dropped in 2014.

A few too many incorrect responses here, guys!

The A180 CDi is NOT a Renault 1.5. It's a Mercedes 1.8 and is very smooth, quiet and torquey. I've had one on loan today while my old style A180 CDi was in for a service and MOT.

If you go to Mercedes UK website, you will see that the A180CDi IS, as I said, a 1.5 litre unit - actually, 1461 cc.

www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc...l

None of the A class I am looking at have a 1.5 engine in them. They are either 1.8 or (I think) 2.1 in the A200. Are these Mercedes engines or Renault?

Like this one: tinyurl.com/m5qblju

Like this one: tinyurl.com/m5qblju

If you read that advert fully, it says

Engine size : 1461cc

As I've said (and this is the third time). the engine in the A180CDi is a 1.5 litre Renault unit.

Edit : It's in the 'performance' section, where BHP, 0-60, top speed, etc are listed

Edited by RobJP on 21/01/2015 at 09:04

If you read that advert fully, it says

Engine size : 1461cc

As I've said (and this is the third time). the engine in the A180CDi is a 1.5 litre Renault unit.

Edit : It's in the 'performance' section, where BHP, 0-60, top speed, etc are listed

I stand corrected and thanks for the clarification.

Any views on the Mazda 3?

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Diesel Hatchback choice - pd
None of the A class I am looking at have a 1.5 engine in them. They are either 1.8 or (I think) 2.1 in the A200. Are these Mercedes engines or Renault?

Mercedes badges haven't born any real relation to engine size for quite a few years.

As the poster above says, the A180 you are looking at has a 1.5 litre Renault sourced engine.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Diesel Hatchback choice - dieseldogg

A Honda Civic with the proportedly excellent and economical 1.6 diesel, the i-whatever one.

Or the new forthcoming C-RC with the same diesel engine, and either a cracking good 9 speed auto or manual 6 speed.

Since coming from a Golf and considering a Mazada.

marcus

Edited by dieseldogg on 21/01/2015 at 14:32

I meant to add that she wants an auto this time and I don't think Honda do a diesel auto for the Civic, hence the reason that she is considering the Mazda. We have just read a lot about Mazda diesels being problematic hence the questions, otherwise it looks like a lovely car.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Diesel Hatchback choice - 72 dudes

My apologies RobJP, I used What Car? as my source, which is still showing 1796cc. Numpties.

The A180 CDi I had yesterday must have the 1.5 engine, which makes the way it performed.even more remarkable.

And Dingle, afaik, the latest Mazda 2.2 diesel still has problems