Ford Ka - insurance write offs - vlad2003

I recently had a car run into my car while parked. The insurance company may want to write it off. Once their engineer has inspected it will I have a choice over whether it is written off or not. I want to keep the option of having it repaired at my expense without going through the insurance

Ford Ka - insurance write offs - dieselnut

If they write your car off they will give you the market value for it.

You should also have the opportunity to buy it back from them for scrap value, then have it repaired at your expense.

It will probably be quicker to deal direct with the other parties insurance.

Ford Ka - insurance write offs - RT

"Market Value" is usually the lowest price for a model of that age/mileage - it takes no account of pre-accident condition

Ford Ka - insurance write offs - TedCrilly

Depends on the insurance company involved and their way of operating.

Some will allow you to keep the car but reduce the payout amount, some will payout in full and allow you to buy it back at an agreed price, some will insist on auctioning it off to the highest bidder.

Make your wishes known to the assesor and go from there.

Remember....... It will go down as a cat c or d which in turn will reduce its value.

Edited by TedCrilly on 20/01/2015 at 16:49

Ford Ka - insurance write offs - dacouch

Is that a typo as the Insurers valuation should take into account the pre accident value eg the condition the car was in a second before the accident.

Ford Ka - insurance write offs - RT

Is that a typo as the Insurers valuation should take into account the pre accident value eg the condition the car was in a second before the accident.

You try getting more than "bottom book" for a car in excellent condition with full service history !!

Ford Ka - insurance write offs - TedCrilly

Back in the early 90s I had a Nova sri which was stolen and found burnt out 30 miles away in a dodgy part of Manchester . The offer and the payout increased by...if I recall £125 when I sent Norwich union the fully stamped service book and the receipt for two new tyres I had fitted 2-3 weeks before it went missing.

Granted it was over 20 years ago but have the goalposts now moved?

Ford Ka - insurance write offs - dacouch

It's generally relatively easy if you follow the correct procedure, providing your car is worth more than the bottom book