VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - Nigel_HD
I visited a local dealer to look at the new VW Passat B8 just arrived in the showrooms. It's a lovely car but why have VW made a very bad mistake in following the trend of making the rear seat base fixed so when the rear seat back folds down it does not fold flat ? The salesman seemed completely taken aback when I made this comment, but we then proceeded to check out a used 2014 B7 model on the forecourt. The rear seat base flips up, drops into the well behind the front seats, and the rear seat back folds down completely flat. This was the unique selling point for the (old) Passat. Very few cars have this feature. The Skoda Superb does (for now), but will the new version due later this year - perhaps this feature will be designed out by the VAG team ? The only reason I can see for the 'retrograde' design is the improvement to the location of the Isofix mounting points, which are now more accessible, but if Honda can continue to design rear seats which have a folding base, why can't VW. Not very clever. It also frustrates me because I put off ordering a new Passat until the B8 was available, and now I wish I had ordered a B7 - and no I can't buy one of these because It would be a factory order and not from pre-ordered dealer stock which are in the run-out.
VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - slkfanboy

My Jag does fold flat without lifting the rear seat. Not something that makes much odd for most people, I guess you have a specific reason for needing this feature. The Passat market sector is strinking since they hay days of the B5, so cost is a major driving factor.

Have you consider other styles of car?

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - daveyjp
Flat floor is far more preferable as it makes it much easier to load long heavy items. B class is flat and you have the added benefit of being able to remove the rear seat squabs to increase the load length by about 150mm.
VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - Avant

The current mark 3 Octavia is like the new Passat - but actually I prefer it.

The seats aren't completely flat, but flat enough, and if you have the variable boot floor there's no step up from boot floor to seat back. But most conveniently, whereas on the last Octavia you had to (1) lower headrests, (2) pull up the seat cushions, one from each side of the car, (3) lower the backrests.....all you have to do now is pull the levers in the boot and down go the backrests. And you can still use the floor behind the front seats, which you couldn't before.

Mine has had a lot of varied loads in there in the last few months, and it's never failed to swallow what I've tried to get in. I can't think of any difference that a 100% flat floor would have made. So if you want a Passat, have no fears on this score.

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - Trilogy

I think it is being done to save money and designer laziness to come up with a solution. Perhaps deisgners think motorists are getting lazy too. Renault 25 used to have a very clever system whereby when you pulled up the cushion up the back rest automatically dropped into that space. Clever stuff! The raising of the cushion has a safety benefit, as it prevents items from shooting forwards in an accident, or under heavy braking.

Even Volvo has gone the lazy way with the V70. As have the Mercedes E and C-Class. I have heard some people say the custions of these cars can be less comfortable due to thinner padding in the cushion. www.google.co.uk/search?q=volvo+v70+estate+load+sp...0

The other problem is that some estate cars now have a loading lip. Not at all clever. No doubt done for safety, I expect.

Edited by Trilogy on 14/01/2015 at 16:43

Cushions!

New Mondeo is just like new Passat. Those clever people at Ford have even made the aperture noticeably smaller than the loadspace. They could learn a thing or two from Citroen and Audi. Bad design is so irritating.

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - RT

Why not do it the Korean way? On the Santa Fe (and Kia Sorento?) the base of the rear seat (2nd row) slides forwards and downwards allowing the seat backrest to lie flat - and the passenger-side rear seat (2nd row) will also rock forwards once folded to allow 3rd row passengers into their seats - a similar mechanism is used with the 3rd row to allow them to fold into the lowest possible space.

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - Bromptonaut

We are talking about estate cars here aren't we?

Wouldn't necessarily expect seats in a hatchback to fold completely flat but a flat load floor is a pretty major need for many estate drivers. Neither would I want the seat backs/cushions bearing weight of load as seems implicit in arrangement described.

Last true estate I had was a Xantia which folded in same way as OP describes for outgoing Passat. The BX before was same whether in saloon or hatch form. So was my 205.

On Berlingo seat backs fold down first and then whole thing rotates to vertical behind fronts. Three individual rear seats can be folded in any permutation or removed completely. With one out two full sizr mountain bikes will stow upright with just a 90degree twist of the bars to make best use of space.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 14/01/2015 at 18:09

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - Andrew-T
It's a lovely car but why have VW made a very bad mistake in following the trend of making the rear seat base fixed so when the rear seat back folds down it does not fold flat ?

As has been said, the new version is probably cheaper to assemble. And of course when the next generation appears, VW can announce a breakthrough by putting it back again ....

Peugeot did something similar with the flat boot floor in the 205 and 306, which used all the space between the wheel arches. But in later models it was easier to mount the rear shocks vertically than horizontally, so several inches of useful load width was lost.

Edited by Andrew-T on 14/01/2015 at 18:42

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - Hamsafar

Maybe the rear seat has airbags in the side bolsters?

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - Bromptonaut

Maybe the rear seat has airbags in the side bolsters?

Possible but they're not going to function as intended with the backrest folded down and what happens if they're under the load?.

MK1 Focus estate shocks don't intrude. A very well designed estate with space to shame larger estates. Been looking to change it but not mucch come close. Like the 406 but it isn't designed as well as the Focus. Shame it isn't like earlier Peugeots. I had a 305 estate. Brilliantly designed. Back seat folded properly and you could even remove the cushions to extend load length.

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - brum

Another strange decision is this latest incarnation of Passat will only be available with diesel engines. Not a single petrol variant! Might be of little use in some european cities in the future.

Thanks all for your responses to my original post. Yes, I was talking about the Estate. It's interesting the new Mondeo has gone this way. I have a flat floor in my Volvo and it's a dream when you have to do IKEA shopping and transport other large loads. Now I have to think hard about 'compromises'. The other irritating thing is reading test reports where the reviewer writes "the rear seats fold flat" - when they don't. Even HJ has made this mistake. "There’s a variable height boot floor which is simple to adjust and the split rear seats tumble forward with one-touch levers, leaving a flat load area ideal for bigger items.". Wrong ! Perhaps the VW marketing folk have added some spin to this.
Also it's irritating to see brochure photographs where the rear seat looks flat, but the photograph is taken from a very clever angle. I suppose that's marketing for you and, as a previous reply suggested, a cost saving decision.
VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - RobJP
The other irritating thing is reading test reports where the reviewer writes "the rear seats fold flat" - when they don't. Even HJ has made this mistake. "There’s a variable height boot floor which is simple to adjust and the split rear seats tumble forward with one-touch levers, leaving a flat load area ideal for bigger items.". Wrong ! Perhaps the VW marketing folk have added some spin to this. Also it's irritating to see brochure photographs where the rear seat looks flat, but the photograph is taken from a very clever angle. I suppose that's marketing for you and, as a previous reply suggested, a cost saving decision.

I was going to say that HJ's review also has the flat loadspace listed, but you've beaten me to it.

HJ/whoever, any chance of checking this out and coming back with a definitive answer ?

And new Passat estate has a lip, so you can't just slide heavy items in and out. Does make me wonder if designers know what an estate is likely to be used for.

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - Bladerrw

I was disappointed when I got my Audi A6 to see that the seats didn't quite fold down flat. However, I find that it is so easy to drop the seats via a lever in the boot that I do it more often than with previous cars which needed a trip round to at least one side to pull the seat bottom up first.

Also, although the floor is flat, it hasn't stopped me loading massive filing cabinets, bikes, suitcases etc in. The weight of the load pushes the seats flatter.

I think you will find it's not a problem.

At the risk of people thinking I have got a downer on VW (always bought new, Polo, Jetta, Passat, but currently Volvo), there is another 'loss' in not having the rear seat base fold up. When my wife visits the garden centre, we often lift the rear seat base to maximise the available height for accommodating potted plants. I can't think of the number of times this has proved useful. So it is not just the flat floor which has been designed out. Does anyone have any inside contacts at VW to try and get the definitive answer as to the reason for the change ? The local VW dealers simply try to skirt around the issue.

Nigel, look at picture 5. This could be the car for plants. www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/civic-tourer-2.../

Maybe time to no longer buy VAG, or perhaps go for a nearly new instead, unless you lease.

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - alan1302
The local VW dealers simply try to skirt around the issue.

You can't really expect even a dealer to know the thought processes VW would have gone through when designing their cars

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - daveyK_UK

Does the i40 estate fold flat?

Does the i40 estate fold flat?

Doesn't look like it. www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/hyundai/i40-tourer-2.../

VW Passat 2015 B8 - Fold flat loading bay designed out ! - Avant

"When my wife visits the garden centre, we often lift the rear seat base to maximise the available height for accommodating potted plants."

Nigel, if the new Passat is like my Octavia, there's even more space for potted plants on the floor behind the front seats, which wasn't available when the space was taken up by the folded-forward seat cushions, as in my previous Octavias.

Those of us, like Bladerrw and I, who have actually filled our cars to the gunwales have found that this isn't the problem that some people think it is.

Edited by Avant on 15/01/2015 at 23:46

Nigel, how about? www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/kia/kia-ceed-sw-20.../ Back seat folds properly.