how old is yours - fishermanferg

just a curious question i would like to take a wee survey my car is 10 years old and it still runs ok but some people think oh its ten years old what do you expect ok how many people in thios forum have a ten year old car that goes ok blimey my moyorcycle is 33 years old and runs ok i will be interesting to see how many people on here drive older cars

how old is yours - craig-pd130

My car: 6 months old (Volvo V60 company car on contract hire)

Wife's car: 5 year old (Vaux Corsa 1.2 petrol)

My motorbike: 39 years old (Suzuki GT380). It runs fine, although I do need to get the rotor rewound. b***** Jap crap :-)

(The bike will still run happily for 70/80 miles on a fully-charged battery)

how old is yours - RT

I would happily drive a car I'd had for 10 years that was still running ok - BUT - my needs change from time to time so that's rarely been possible.

how old is yours - Bromptonaut

Family fleet is a pair of diesel Berlingos.

Mine is all but 10yo (March 05) and is on 149k. It's been 99.999% reliable and intention is to run it into ground. No longer main family car but still doing 12k or so a year. Went 150 miles to Liverpool at the weekend and will do again tomorrow.

Hers is a 2013 version now on 25k. Again, it's with us for the duration.

Last to go was my Xantia at 13yo/155k. Accumulated faults at MoT time in 2013 not worth fettling. She got the new one and I took over hers

Edited by Bromptonaut on 14/01/2015 at 09:23

how old is yours - Trilogy

Main car is 14 years old. Bought at 138,000 miles. Now done 172,000. Will be happy to keep until 200,000 miles.

Other car is 17 years old. No plans to change. Bought at 4 years old.

how old is yours - Rhubarb

Driving a 14 year old Golf on 120k that I bought new in Sep 2000. Has had a few of the standard Golf problems but has never let me down. Would happily jump in it now and drive it anywhere in the country.

how old is yours - Gordon17

Nissan Almera 2.2 Diesel - 11 years old next week and I've had it from new. Air-con doesn't work (needs a new condensor) and the same CD has been stuck in the player now for 5 years, but it still plays. Apart from that virtually 100% reliable.

I sometimes have a look at what I would buy of I did change it but I think I'll just run it into the ground.

how old is yours - madf

Our 12 year old yaris D4D still runs perfectly.

Son has just scrapped a 13 year old Yaris with 145k miles.

how old is yours - SteVee

Nissan Primera - 15 years old. I bought it 8 years ago as a stop-gap and it just keeps going with very few problems. I really wish I'd bought it new.

Wife's car is a 10-year old Clio - biggest problem has been airbag warning light, now fixed. Had that 9 years now, but has cost more to own than the Nissan.

Keep looking at replacements, Kia or Hyundai likely.

how old is yours - balleballe

My Mazda is 10/11 years old, my wifes Mazda is 5 years old.

I'm looking to change mine though as it's rusting quite bad in some places and little things are starting to go wrong

how old is yours - twitcherman

...the same CD has been stuck in the player now for 5 years, but it still plays.

Go on, you have to tell us what you've been listening to for FIVE YEARS!

how old is yours - corax

...the same CD has been stuck in the player now for 5 years, but it still plays.

Go on, you have to tell us what you've been listening to for FIVE YEARS!

The Animals - We gotta get out of this place.

(From the CD's point of view)...

how old is yours - Avant

Reading between the lines, the clear implied answer to your question is that a car, like any other piece of machinery, will last a long time if it's regularly maintained and used with 'sympathy'. I'm sure all the people above drive their cars considerately and have them serviced, or service them themselves.

I also think that machinery needs to be used. Look how long, for example, buses and train engines last. Cars doing the mileages that Bromptonaut's Berlingos are doing will almost certainly give better service than ones that do 2,000 miles a year on short journeys. For those who only need their cars for short journeys, I'd say: go out at the weekend and drive 20 miles or so for the fun of it.

how old is yours - Andrew-T

'Everyday' car - Pug 207SW, April 2008. Owned since Dec.2008. Not a problem since.

'Spare' car - Pug 205 Garros soft-top, 1991. 71K on the clock, owned 18 months. Only failure so far due to crud in carburettor jet (yes, it has a choke - must be one of the last).

how old is yours - Wukl

By registration, my car and the wife's are both 14 years old in March/April. But I guess as they both made in Japan thee probably are that old right now. That makes it the oldest car I've ever owned, but only just. Only 125k on the clock so some way short of cars I've had before. Meanwhile the wife's car probably hasn't got to 30k yet!

how old is yours - grimep

04 diesel Scenic and an 08 Focus estate with the 1.6 turbo. Plenty of opportunities to get the spanners out with those two horrors! We're playing cambelt roulette with the Scenic just to add to the fun.

how old is yours - A3 A4

Two Audi's:

Mine 12 year old A4 Avant TDi PD 81k

Wife's 11 Year A3 1.6 80k

No plans to replace either, older cars are cool!

how old is yours - ajsphead

17yo Astra 1.6 125K maintained almost exclusively by me and works faultlessly. Just getting to the stage when rubbers are starting to go and the rear arches contain more welded metal than original but seeing as I can fix it, I do.

11yo Jag X type 3.0 83K maintained by me for the most part and works faultlessly.

11 yo Focus c max 1.6 TDCi 76K with 1 careful owner before me and full Ford history and is steaming pile of ...... and due to be got rid of. If I didn't do so much myself, I dread to think what would have been spent in labour charges and I haven't got to the bottom of everything yet.

Moral, if it was born awkward, you'll never fix it.

how old is yours - Gibbo_Wirral

Driving a 2003 Peuegot 307. Only 90k on the clock, one former owner, full service history and absolutely immaculate inside and out.

Can't see the point in changing as there's nothing out there that my current car can't do (get me to work and back).

how old is yours - John F

some people think oh its ten years old what do you expect

Regrettably, I think that includes HJ who I believe has occasionally written that cars are not built to last any longer. Possibly true of some, but not most.

The average age of our cars is 19. Audi A8 [aluminium, unstressed engine, should last longer than me] 9yrs, TR7 35yrs, Focus 1.6 [bit of rust on sills needs attending to this summer, just repainted subframe bits] 15yrs. No intention of changing any of them.

how old is yours - SlidingPillar

The one in the garage is 84 years old.

how old is yours - Andrew-T

Regrettably, I think that includes HJ who I believe has occasionally written that cars are not built to last any longer. Possibly true of some, but not most.

Maybe HJ's comment reflects the sad fact that cars have almost no value when they reach that age - unless they are something special. In fact, due to the pressures put on the makers in 1980s, cars can last almost indefinitely if their basics are well looked after. Rusting should be a thing of the past, despite salt being thrown about every winter - though there seem to be worrying signs that vigilance is being relaxed?

how old is yours - madf

Maybe HJ's comment reflects the sad fact that cars have almost no value when they reach that age - unless they are something special. In fact, due to the pressures put on the makers in 1980s, cars can last almost indefinitely if their basics are well looked after. Rusting should be a thing of the past, despite salt being thrown about every winter - though there seem to be worrying signs that vigilance is being relaxed?

Main structures are rustproofed. Subframes and metal addons- eg brackets are not.

Ealy 2000 on Subarus Foresters suffer with suspension washers corroding and breaking at rear.. and corroded rear subframes - see also Mercedes E class to 2005.

Of course, Dinitrol solves teh problem is you are OCDC about these things...

how old is yours - Engineer Andy

To be honest, if cars were engineered to a high standard as they can be, ver little maintenance would be required, which would mean lots of garages would close due to a lack of business. Probably why so many parts are still not corrosion-resistant, or in the case of wheels/tyres/suspension, deliberately chosen (unless you buy the base model of cheaper brands) so they have to be replaced every few years -IMO the manufacturers know the parts cannot stand up to ordinary use on modern road networks.

In some ways, we only have ourselves to blame (at least as far as wheels/tyres/suspension go), as we demand our cars with lots of 'bling' (low profile tyres be the obvious one, which very few of us actually get any benefit out of, as we don't take the cars to the limit of traction) but expect it to be offered at reasonable prices.

My Mazda 3 (mk1, Oct 2005 build) has just ticked over the 50k miles mark - all the engine bits are going just fine; I tend to go through batteries (one every 4 years - not so bad) due to bouts of low mileage (commuting by train instead of by car, depending upon the job) and now suspension parts (usual bad roads and speed humps, though 8-9 years ain't bad).

how old is yours - Bobbin Threadbare
My car will be 3 in March. It's due it's first MoT soon!

I've never had a car this new before.

My partner just got rid of a 13 year old Citroen C3. It was giving up and its electrics were terrible.

The oldest car in my road is S plate; it's an Astra. A former lecturer of mine drives an Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire. I think it's from the 1950s. The exhaust fumes absolutely reek.
how old is yours - getafix

Peugeot 806 HDI, 15 years old and 140000 miles. I plan to keep it for a few more years. Worth much more to me than it's price on the market.

how old is yours - DougB

Corrado VR6. 21 this month. Needs £200 spent to get through it's MOT but usually sails through. Still used three or four times a week. Karmann build quality big bonus.

DB.

how old is yours - robla
I drive a 2000 X reg VW Polo 1.4 Tdi, only one owner before me and just clicked round to 89000 miles this morning

The wife has a 2004 54 plate Volvo V70 D5 Auto, with just 80k on the clock, still serviced at a Volvo main dealer but that all we do to it yearly. Simply a great family wagon and swallows anything our three boys want to chuck in it whenever we go out or away!
how old is yours - V4 Heaven
I have an 1997 R reg Toyota Carina E 1.8GS petrol. It's just turned 198,500 miles.

It gets used daily for a 60mile round trip and constantly gives more than 40mpg on that commute. Last tankful was 43mpg.

The only thing not working is the ac but I still have a working electric sunroof if needed!

Bought 2002 at 46,000 miles. It's still on the same clutch that it had when I bought it which I think is still the original. There are only two minor rust spots on the rear wings.

It's had 18 oil changes and only burns half a litre of oil every 12000 miles (ie between services).

The day after I bought it, I drove it 1600 miles to Naples in two days as I was living there at the time. Drove it back six months later. I'd do the same trip tomorrow if needed, such is the confidence I have in the car.

Webuyanycar say it's now worth £75 but it's worth thousands to me!
how old is yours - mss1tw

That's the way to do it

how old is yours - concrete

My Skoda Superb 1.9 Tdi PD 130 is coming up for 10 and has covered 190k miles. Never broken down. Usual replacements. 3rd cambelt etc, 2nd set of discs, 2nd alternator and 2nd AC fan. 9th set of Michelin tyres. Long service regime servicing with main dealer until 2012, then good indie. Used synthetic oil from new and used to (before retiring) drive 25-30k per year and computer flagged up services at about 18-19k. Can't fault it and hope to make 250k. Used every day, but agree with Avant that decent use daily keeps them in good order along with some TLC.

The wife had my old Honda Accord 2.0i and in total we kept it for 17 years and about 175k. Gave it away in the end as wife was only doing 800 miles a year. Still going I think, used to see it about.

Cheers Concrete

how old is yours - alastairq

DAihatsu Fourtrak, 1994....still going, but needs a replacement crossmember...job in hand.

1999 Fiesta, kept running with minimal effort....no advsories, last MoT...

1952 Dellow, probably better than when new?

I have little faith in anything built this century, to be repaired in a simple manner.

how old is yours - Zolasdad

2004 Peugeot Partner 2.0 HDi

194,000 2nd owner. 6k services since I took it on at 70k.

One set of pads & drums etc. One set of front springs. 3rd alternator. Original clutch & exhaust.

Now taken on by son-in-law for his 400 mile a week commute.

how old is yours - Steveieb

Hi Concrete.

Have the same engine / layout in my 1.9TDI PD Audi A4. it has 115k miles . I much prefer the engine to the new 1.6 TDI fitted to the golf Mk 6.

But I see no mention of a new clutch in your post. Is this correct?

how old is yours - Snakey

7 year old mini, and 6 year old Rav4

How I long I keep them depends on what sort of bills they generate...

how old is yours - concrete

Hi Concrete.

Have the same engine / layout in my 1.9TDI PD Audi A4. it has 115k miles . I much prefer the engine to the new 1.6 TDI fitted to the golf Mk 6.

But I see no mention of a new clutch in your post. Is this correct?

Hello Steve, correct, I am still on the original clutch, exhaust, battery etc. But my typical mileage was 90% motorway or major roads, very little town work compared to some cars. Every mechanic who has serviced the engine has remarked on how sweet it still is and reckons it was the best engine VAG ever produced. I have just finished a 4 litre container of synthetic oil which I bought for top ups after the first service. Not bad for 190k miles. Vast majority of taxis around here are Skoda with 'spaceship' mileages, but regular services. Not a bad recommedation. Haven't a clue what to buy when this car gives up the ghost. Much confering on the forum methinks.

Cheers Concrete