Happy Blue's rental car blog - Happy Blue!

I rent cars about five or six times a year, usually in Israel but occasionally elsewhere. I thought I would do a blog on my impressions of each car, but who would read it; so instead I will do a thread and if you want to comment/ignore feel free.

I usually travel with the family which is SWMBO plus three children aged 16, 14 and 10. They are growing so we are getting to the point at which we need a car for five adults. When we had child No. 3 we had all the baby paraphernalia so it made sense to rent a seven seat car for the space and also because our eldest had some social skill/behaviour issues so separating him from the others was a good thing. Matters have improved and as we travel relatively light we usually rent a medium sized saloon (Mazda 3 sized) and usually we are given a Hyundai i35 (A booted version of the i30, but a bit more stylish). It is fine for the journey from the airport to our apartment and any long journeys we do without all the luggage. Good car apart from badly positioned air vents (cold hands), steering that is too light and it lacks the low end torque I am used to from a turbo diesel (almost all rental cars in Israel are petrol automatic).

This most recent trip we wanted some winter sun, so we drove from north of Tel Aviv to Eilat. It is about 250 miles, the majority of which is single carriageway unlit desert roads so in daytime it can be a four hour trip without stops. With all the luggage and a long journey I wanted a seven seater for space and comfort; so I reserved a Mazda 5 or similar.

I love it when rental companies upgrade you to a car that is less suitable for your needs than the one you ordered. Having no MPVs, I was given a Mitsubishi Outlander. So a higher, larger car, with no more interior space and less economical. Driving away from an airport in a strange car in pouring rain is a good test of how intuitive it is to find and use various functions. In this case, we managed to get all our luggage in easily as the third row of seats dropped into the floor with one tug of a strap. Reasonably commanding driving position, but the seats lack lumbar support. Clear dashboard marred by a hard to find button for the trip computer and a built in SatNav/Audio that makes the system in my S-Max look 22nd Century. Didn’t help that the language was split between English and Hebrew – my knowledge of the latter is adequate for holidays but not the finer details of altering settings in the Nav system.

The rear most seats are occasional only and we did not use them apart from a short trip with two other people to a restaurant. The family coped with the long trip, but it is remarkable how the availability of three separate seats for the second row (like my S-Max) make for a much more comfortable trip. Having a 60/40 split is far less comfortable for the middle passenger as is having a transmission tunnel instead of a flat floor. The main issue was space and the slightly bouncy ride. Balloon tyres are great for road imperfections, but a heavily loaded car at speed causes bounce and float leading to claims of sickness from rear passengers.

The return journey at night showed the car to have good headlights and a surprisingly good turn of speed but was hampered by an odd gearbox. It refuses to drop down out of sixth gear unless truly provoked. Acceleration is therefore minimal unless you use the flappy paddles or you bury the pedal to the metal. Therefore economy is poor and this is all exacerbated by an engine with limited torque so revs are needed to make progress. Whilst diesels make have some issues, the one thing they are good at is getting a heavy car up to speed quickly. The ability to squeeze the accelerator on my S-Max TDCi and just woosh past slower cars was greatly missed on dark desert roads where the only light is from other cars or cats eyes. Overtaking was simply more risky as I felt as though I needed more speed that I would have normally used to give me the margin of safety. Coming up behind a car, I needed to drop the gearbox by at least two cogs and then pull out accelerating wildly, whereas the S-Max would have been on song and the manoeuvre would have been completed in less time.

Economy overall for about 1,000km has been 30mpg, which is not bad for a heavily laden, automatic, large petrol car being driven at speed and with a bike rack attached to the tail gate. I just know that the journey in the S-Max would have been no slower, more economical, more comfortable and probably safer.

The PHEV version of the Outlander was on my radar for a short while. Whilst I can see myself in it, my family (especially my boys who are always questioning when I am going to replace the S-Max) declared that they preferred the S-Max also.

Happy Blue's rental car blog - gordonbennet

Would that still be the 2.4 4 cyl petrol engine in the Outy HB? And is petrol sensibly priced in Israel?

It sounds just like the Mk 1 Outlander we had till earlier in the year, albeit the simple 4 speed auto box in the early model i couldn't really fault, i'd have hoped for better by now 10 years later, however the economy of the one you hired has improved, ours would have given it's standard 20/21 mpg regardless of how it was driven.

Thankfully ours had an LPG conversion to lessen the wallet strain of its drink problem.

I wonder if you'd had the car longer, and got more used to using higher revs to get the power band, whether the Mitsi would have grown on you more, that model (which must be much heavier than the mk 1) sounds like it's crying out for a 3 litre V6 petrol.

Unusual hire car though, unlikely to get one in this country, thanks for the interesting report, hope you and the family enjoyed your winter break.

GB, coming to the end of our break. The weather in Eilat was glorious, but the days are too short. Sunbathing times are strictly 9.30 - 16.00; too cold or dark otherwise. The desert is a natural astronomy viewing area, so we had a fantastic evening with an expert, about 20km north of the town to avoid light pollution, showing us the wonders of the night sky.

Cars in Israel are cripplingly expensive to buy as there is huge tax, so new Suzuki Splash automatic costs £15,000. Petrol is a similar price to the UK but derv is more expensive by a large margin not just a few pennies.

The Mitsubishi probably has the 2.4 petrol, but it is close in size to a Range Rover Sport so needs power. You are right in that I am getting more used to it but the six speed box just won't change down so flappy paddle use is required. The economy is good but that is for a long journey. My usual driving would drop that to 20mpg I am sure.

I never understand car rental companies. They have a standard list of cars, then give you something really quite odd if they run out of the class you ordered. You may recall I ordered a Corsa in Germany this summer and was given a Citroën DS3 Cabriolet! At least in Israel most cars are saloons - much better for luggage.

Having realised that the Eco setting was on, I turned it off today and discovered a far better car with a more responsive gearbox and no worse economy. I am getting to like the car but we go home tomorrow and I am still not convinced it is better than the SMax. High revs and large four cylinder engines make more of a racket than the TDCi. The Mitsu needs a six.......

Happy Blue's rental car blog - quizman

Praise the Lord.

Well, back in Israel for the weekend. Ordered a Mazda 3 sized car and got a ......new Mazda 3. Overall impressions from the drivers seat are excellent. A well designed dash, good ride, economical but responsive engine. A nicer cabin than a Merc C-class. The Merc 'tablet displays' especially are quite naff in comparison.

But....from the passengers perspective its not good news. We drove to the airport in Manchester in a spare Astra hatchback on the fleet. Despite the Mazda having a proper boot and so could accommodate a little more luggage, the rear seat was more cramped almost to the point that my daughter has asked if I can get a bigger car. The problem appears to be the 'transmission tunnel' even though there is no prop shaft. It's too big and the central console goes back too far. If a manufacturer has to hide the exhaust pipe under the car, you dont need a huge tunnel but a small indentation in the floor.

Surprisingly the Hyundai i35 has just enough more room to make it comfortable but they don't sell it in the UK.

We have a couple of longish drives tomorrow and Saturday night so will comment further afterwards.

TTFN

Happy Blue's rental car blog - Smileyman

Has the snow all gone now? My friends tell me it was several inches deep in the Jerusalem area - indeed more than I've seen all winter here (Kent coast)

Not in Jerusalem, but on the coast in Netanya (25km north of Tel Aviv). However my father spends a good proportion of the year in Israel, hence the trip to see him, and he advises that Jerusalem had two dumps of snow - almost unheard of - but the second lot has now gone.

We are visiting friends up North over the weekend, in the hills so potentially a lot colder and wetter. When you see pictures of Syrian refugees shivering in tents, its no joke - it can get very cold in the winter high up, and away from the Mediterranean coast the land rises sharply.

Mind you the driving does not get any better in the rain!

Back home now. Thoughts on the Mazda 3 automatic. ....

A great drivers car let down by too little torque too high up.

Good economy and excellent ride. Controls very tactile.

Cramped interior and boot not big enough. The car will barely seat five. My father's Daihatsu Sirion holds five with ease and for a very short journey today we had six in.

Also had a go in a Mazda 6. Dashboard not up to the quality of the 3 and although much bigger externally, internally the space is not that much bigger.

Hoping for another Hyundai i35 in few weeks time. Not as good to drive, but more space.

So, another visit to the Holyland. This time in a Toyota Corolla Sun (which I don't think is sold in the UK). It is a four door saloon that is probably based on the Auris.

The car itself is fairly anonymous, being perfectly satisfactory but offering no steering feel, but is quiet and economical. The best thing about it is the internal space. For once I have found a regular car with almost no transmission or exhaust tunnel so three people can sit in the back in some level of comfort for the middle passenger.

Not an unpleasant car to be in, but unless you need a large four door saloon which is smaller than the Mondeo class, I would look elsewhere for enjoyment.

I come back to my hobby horse of no medium sized four door saloons available for sale in the UK whereas they are all over Europe. Lots of Renault Clios, Mazda 2s, Ford Focus 4dr, Astra Berlinas, Peugeot 308 Elysees, Corolla Suns and Hyundai i25. Which I think is a pity.

Roll on my next trip.

Happy Blue's rental car blog - Avant

When we've hired a car abroad (usually South Africa) we've been glad to have saloons, although at home I'd rather have the versatility of an estate or hatchback. So do most others (including you, HB!) so demand for saloons isn't great in the UK.

More often than not it's been a Toyota Corolla saloon which is pretty uneventful to drive but can easily accommodate two large suitcases + two cabin cases safely and securely in the boot. The best one we had, a few years ago now, was a VW Polo Classic (saloon version) which had an unexpectedly large boot but also much more spirited performance than the Toyotas.

Happy Blue's rental car blog - Steveieb

Renting cars abroad has given me so much grief that I wonder sometimes if it is worth it.

Except for one company Autoreisen who only operate in the Canaries. They received an impressive 85 % in the Which report which was the top rating with some companies I used receiving 35%.

The bad companies are easy to spot at the airport from the long queues forming whilst the receptionist try to sell additional insurance.

Autoreisen have great prices a no deposit on pickup arrangement, full to full fuel policy and have never checked the car for damage.

Perfect for a stress free holiday !

So, backin Israel and have a Focus Estate auto with Powershift gearbox. Possibly a 2.0l - not sure yet - maybe a 1.8?. Performs well but not spectacularly, comfortable, quiet, reasonable spacious and adequately economical.

I thought these gearboxes were OK, but this one (60,000 miles) has an odd judder occasionally away from the lights, as if we are really doing a full bore launch in a race and the tyres are losing grip, but in reality we are gently moving off. Tyres are OK, the pressures are spot on.

I find the interior low rent (this is the most recently superceded model), too much hard, shiny plastic. Its OK, but compared to the Mazda 3 or Hyundai i35 (not sold in the UK), can't see myself in a Focus.

Long time since I last posted on this blog. I have visited Israel about three or four times since October, but the cars rented were standard fayre with nothing to write about.

However, just been to Cornwall (fight to Newquay) and rented a new Polo - not sure what engine - probably a 1.0T or 1.2 as it was smooth but lacking in torque and needed lower gears up the hills.

Good things - beautifully built, with a smart interior and lots of nice features to aid driving. Comfortable, quiet and quick when it needed to be and over 250 miles of mainly dual carriageway driving I got about 55mpg.

Disappointing items - boot floor set very high so any decent bags in there forced the parcel shelf to hide the rear window. Steering was too light with no feel. The electric steering in our 12 year old Punto has more feel in City mode.

I can see the attraction and the huge difference in quality between a Fiat made in 2004 and a VW made in 2016. Why buy an Audi A1?

Happy Blue's rental car blog - Smileyman

That's not encouraging to read since Skoda have just introduced the 1.0T to the Octavia.

Indeed. Need to check exactly which engine it was. But certainly lacked torque.

Happy Blue's rental car blog - Alby Back
My son will be learning to drive soon. I have the opportunity to buy a very low mileage 2012 Polo ( 1.0 I think ? ) for an attractive price from a friend who bought it new for the same purpose of one his sons to learn in.

Recommended?
Happy Blue's rental car blog - Avant

Could be a good one - assuming that it's got FSH, and it's a manual and not one with a Dodgy Suspicious Gearbox. When you test drive it, it'll be worth asking your friend what sort of low mileage it's done, in the hope that it hasn't been lots of short trips.

The other thing to check is that insurance won't be prohibitive: I believe some small cars are more expensive to insure for young drivers than others.

And if your son is into street cred, the Polo should have more of it than some of the obvious Japanese alternatives.

Sounds good Alby. Just checked the VW website. I reckon I was driving a Polo Match with the 1.0 75bhp engine. Certainly not the 1.2TSi and possibly the 60bhp version. Both the 60 and the 75 have the same torque (70lb ft) at the same rev peak (3,000rpm)