Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - redcard

Merry Christmas all!

I'm hoping to buy a used car at the beginning of January, and more than likely will be buying privately for £2-3K.

Can someone give me a quick bullet-point guide on how the transaction should be completed to minimise the risk of anything going wrong?

Let's presume I've picked a car, had a test drive, given it a quick once-over, agreed a price and paid for a history / HPI check.

Also, what documents would I need to confirm ownership and are any missing docs a cause for alarm?

Thanks!

Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - Wackyracer

You would need to see a reciept for thesale of the car and also some Identification that the seller is who he claims to be.

Remember a V5C is not proof of ownership, It is just proof of the registered Keeper.

Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - elekie&a/c doctor

possibly a good idea to get an mot history check.Look here;www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle.At 2 k plus,you can buy a later model Corsa D,a better driving car.The last of the C model is going to be at least 8 years old.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 25/12/2014 at 12:06

Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - bathtub tom

I'd suggest you google your thread title and then sit down and read the advice until you're conversant with all the pitfalls. There's too many for me to list on this day!

Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - madf

My comment is eamnt with total sincerity.

If you have to ask the question , then you are better buying from a garage with a good reputation.

Many private sellers have no conscience and will try to sell a bag of nails. You have no real recourse...

Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - RobJP

My comment is eamnt with total sincerity.

If you have to ask the question , then you are better buying from a garage with a good reputation.

Many private sellers have no conscience and will try to sell a bag of nails. You have no real recourse...

Sadly, madf is correct. Whilst there are still some genuine sellers out there, there are lots of shysters tarting up and selling dross, traders shifting metal whilst pretending to be private sellers, plain con-artists, etc.

Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - Andrew-T

If you are hoping to p-x a vehicle, buy from a trader who seems (or you know) to be reputable. If you plan to sell privately, look for a seller who seems as honest as yourself.

There are genuine sellers out there. A good bet is one who has owned the car for a few years and can show you a good set of paperwork.

Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - macabethiel

I would only buy privately from someone I knew personally or who was recommended by a friend.

Although I have worked in the car trade I always buy from a dealer though not a main dealer just someone local who has a good name.

A lot of car supermarkets also have a trade only section for older cars that may be worth a try but you get no warranty in the trade section.

If you must buy locally as others have said looking at the old MoT history and advisories is a must as is some sort of service history. I would only buy from the registered keeper at the registered address and would walk away if he has had the vehicle for less than a year.

Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - RT
A lot of car supermarkets also have a trade only section for older cars that may be worth a try but you get no warranty in the trade section.

Dealers can't escape the provisions of SoGA which has a 3-month minimum.

Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - TedCrilly

AA have some good info on thier site regarding this subject

There is also a `recep templatet` you can download and print off

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_usedtips.html

Vauxhall Corsa C - Buying used car privately - FP

I agree with other posters who are suggesting that someone who is as inexperienced as the OP seems to be should consider buying from a reputable dealer. Even this can be far from straightforward - there are rogues here as well as in the private sector, but at least the Sale of Goods Act provides some back-up.

When buying privately, there is little legal back-up, unless the car has been specifically mis-described - in an advert, or by word of mouth (difficult to prove).

You are in effect on your own. A friend with good mechanical knowledge, and some specific knowledge of the weaknesses of the particular car you're interested in, would help. Your own "sixth sense" and ability to judge people also. You save money over what you would spend at a dealer, but you should set aside the difference to cover the distinct possibility that you will need to rectify something fairly important.

Though I have bought cars privately in the past I wouldn't do it now - I think there's more dishonesty around. Sell privately - yes. A much better option than part-exchanging.