Transit 160 1989, ex-ambulance - Replacement twin wheel axle - accordionman

Hello,

for some time now (several years!!!)there has been an increasingly nasty clunking noise from the area of the diff. ONLY when the vehicle is coasting in "over run"or coming to a stop after a long hot run. e.g the other day on approaching Dartford Crossing put gear into neutral and coasted slowly in the queue and dreadful clunk, clunk at each slow rev of the prop shaft. Being an ex-ambulance I believe it has a limited slip diff. Very disconcerting when on the continent and you don't know when it will finally pack up and cause grief.

Q1 Can anyone please tell me what is the likely cause of this clunk and possibility of repaiirng. The diff is not one where you can easily unbolt and take out but an integral part of the axle.

Q2. What is the possibility fo finding another rear twin wheel axle to replace the present one which would not be a pig in poke and the best ratio for speed as sick of seeing otheers overtake on the motorways and hours at the wheel on a long journey

cheers

Martin

Transit 160 1989, ex-ambulance - Replacement twin wheel axle - focussed

How do you know that the noise is caused a faulty differential?

If it was my vehicle I would be getting underneath and checking the propshaft UJs first and centre bearing if it has one.

Transit 160 1989, ex-ambulance - Replacement twin wheel axle - Peter.N.

If it does have a limited slip diff the oil probably wants changing - its special oil though.

Transit 160 1989, ex-ambulance - Replacement twin wheel axle - bathtub tom

My first check would be the wheel nuts/bolts.

Transit 160 1989, ex-ambulance - Replacement twin wheel axle - Vitesse6

I agree with advice to check universal joints. I well remember the loud clunking from the UJs on the swing axles of the small Triumphs. That too only came when slowing down.