Renault Clio 1.4i 16v 2001 - Stalling at junctions, rough idle, cut out - Bikerben

I have finally solved my daughters cars problems.

If you have arrived here you will have already heard about ECU cages cutting into wiring, generally dodgy wiring and TDC sensors. None of these applied to this car.

Wiggling stuff under the bonnet led me to suspect the underbonnet fuse box.

The first thing that made a significant improvement was "servicing" the underbonnet fuse and relay box. I removed each relay and fuse and cleaned and tightened the connectors. I also replaced the three black relays which cost just under a tenner for all three from an online motor factors. This cured the frequent stalling and difficulty starting. The engine also ran noticeably sweeter. I suspect the ignition circuit relay was loose or faulty.

I dont drive the car but my daughter reported that it was still stalling at junctions and occasionally revved up to about 2k. A restart would cure it. Research indicated that this might be due to a vacuum leak so with the engine running I sprayed carb cleaner on the map sensor and servo vacuum hose connections and wiggled them. To my delight I discovered the brake servo hose connection was leaking. An O ring and a bit of silicone sealant and all is well.

I couldnt be happier and I hope my experience helps some other poor sod with clio headaches.