Vauxhall Corsa B - Dashboard on/off with out key in ignition - kd007

Hello,

I tried search on this specific problem, but I cannot find any answers or may be I am searching with outdated lingo. So, I will explain the situation and will wait for honorable members to help me. I own a 08 Corsa Ecoflex. Everything was alright until this one day the battery had run flat. I jumped started it and it did start off and ran well. But I was not able to switch it off. The car kept running even after I removed the key. It eventually did switch off. But, the dashboard comes on with all the dashboard indicators switched on by itself at random times without the key in. I believe this is what is causing the battery to run flat. I took the car to a mechanic who suggested I change the ignition barrel and it has to be done in a vauxhall garage only. I was sat in the car yesterday night in silence, I could hear few crackling noise before the dashboard switches itself on.. and then again some noise before it switches itself off. This happens with or with out the key in the keyhole. Anything I can do to diagnose and fix the problem before I sign up to spend big money on it ?

I tried few things but couldnt find a solution. I finally took the courage and took it to the local vauxhall garage, who are saying a faulty battery is causing it. I feel they got the problem the other way around.. since the dashboard lights come up randomly, it is draining the battery. Thats £200 quid for not knowing what is causing the problem and a battery replacement. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

regards KD

Vauxhall Corsa B - Dashboard on/off with out key in ignition - Oli rag

I'd be very surprised if a faulty battery is causing the dash to light up, I think they've got it round the wrong way.

Sounds like it could be a faulty ignition switch at fault. When you jump started it you didn't cross connect the leads by any chance?

Vauxhall Corsa B - Dashboard on/off with out key in ignition - mike2014uk

I used to have a corsa - similar age, but with a petrol engine.

My issue was that I had to push in the speedo panel, in order to join some connectors so the car would start. This had to be done every time in order to start the car. I was told (by a repetutable vauxhall repair garage) that for some reason there are issues with the wires coming loose in that area, and for me the problem was solved by having the panel removed, all wires disconnected, then re-connected.

I'm not saying this would necessarily fix your fault, but it is possible that this repair has been done/attempted in the past.

A google search for "corsa dashboard electrical fault" brings up many results.

Good luck, just though I'd put in my experience. :)

Vauxhall Corsa B - Dashboard on/off with out key in ignition - elekie&a/c doctor

This is a 2008 Corsa ,which makes it a Corsa D model.These do not suffer with the dash connector or ignition switch faults.However,a low or poor condition battery can affect the complex can network which possibly has become corrupt after a jump start.

Took the bait and got them to replace the battery. The diagnostics came back as ignition switch fault. Another £277 to replace it. Sometimes I wonder if they get taught these techniques at trade school.
Vauxhall Corsa B - Dashboard on/off with out key in ignition - blindspot

seems you messed up the jump start procedure. new battery will help. it seems to be an expensive ignition switch. let us know how you get on

Picked up my car on sunday. New battery and replaced ICU cost me around £430. It is working ok now. Thank you all for the help.