2010 Golf Plusn Golf Plus - Keep or sell - quartermiler

I had a freak accident this week for which I took full responsibility. My repair via insurers is around £3k (heaven knows what the other car's prognosis was). My question is 'what is the word on the street' regarding keeping or selling on a vehicle which has had an impact. Are there residual niggles that occur over time? Something similar happened over 25 years ago (someone else's fault this time!) and we elected to take a lower write off amount, rather than live with the unknown of further troubles down the road. Any thoughts from the ether?

2010 Golf Plusn Golf Plus - Keep or sell - gordonbennet

Gut feelings with a bit of common sense would be my decider.

Doesn't take much to cost £3k via a large bodyshop with carpets managers receptionists courtesy cars to pay for, let alone the cost of parts.

Judge it by the type of accident and the 'blow' the car suffered.

On a RWD if you gat a fair whack up the back the shock could cause damage further down the drive train right up to the engine mounts and damaging the rad where the engine bounced forward, this could well manifest itself months later.

FWD i'd be more concerned if the vehicle took a substantial blow from a side impact causing the shock to travel into the transmission/axle/subframe/suspension, but again go with your gut feelings, if its the usual bumper lights front wing rads etc from a fairly gentle clout i wouldn't be too bothered, if it needed new rear quarter panels requiring extensive welding up to roof line b and c pillars, possibly a rippled roof or sills needing straightening, or a new subframe/wheel/hub/wishbone/suspension leg than i'd be more inclined to punt it on.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/11/2014 at 09:48

2010 Golf Plusn Golf Plus - Keep or sell - daveyK_UK

Once had a body shop quote 1,500 for nothing more than a new bumper, grille and light painted in solid colour to match the vehicle.

I would be confident you could get the repairs done for less.

2010 Golf Plusn Golf Plus - Keep or sell - oldtoffee

Can you get a copy of the breakdown of parts and labour that make up the £3k? Or have a chat with the bodyshop manager. That will tell you the extent of the work and possible damage to expensive bits. £3k isn't a big repair but worth trying to find out just for your own peace of mind.