2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Replacing front shock absorbers - albapa

Hi,

The car is a 2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso with 80k miles. I am planning to get the front shock absorbers replaced and I am asking advice whether to replace the top suspension mounting as well. The same amount of labour, although the parts cost extra.

The shock absorber manufacturer suggests replacing the mounting as well, but I wouldn't call this unbiased advice. I'd be grateful for any comment or advice.

Cheers
Albert

2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Replacing front shock absorbers - Railroad.
They do wear, and they're not usually that expensive, and as your garage says it'll require no extra labour, so my advice is yes, go ahead and do it.
2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Replacing front shock absorbers - Cyd

Be daft not to imo.

2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Replacing front shock absorbers - Wackyracer

I'd change them. they cost alot less than the labour.

I read some info recently from a suspension component manufacturer that recommended changing road springs and shock absorbers at the same time. It may just be a marketing ploy by them to sell more products though.

I would advocate inspecting the springs for sure. If DIYing I probably wouldn't change them unless they've done loads of miles or show signs of distress. If paying for the job to be done, then th elabour is the major part of the cost and so changing the springs on a TPM basis would seem sensible.

I'd also advocate changing all four shocks. If the fronts are tired, chances are the rears are too and your stability in corners is dependent on the rear shocks (rather like having your best tyres on the back).

Thanks for all the replies, very sensible advice.

The rear shocks will be replaced too, I have already sourced them. Regarding the front shocks, I am wondering if standard Monroe shocks (which are priced quite reasonable) would be adequate replacement for the OEM parts or is it worth buying a more expensive brand (such as KYB)? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks again
Albert

For a standard road car, Monroe are a quite reasonable replacement. They do standard replacements and something called "Reflex", which are slightly better with added slow response valving. They are only slightly more expensive and worth considering. I'm thinking of these for my Saab, much as I'd like a set of Bilsteins I can't run to £480 for the set!!

Thanks!