BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - angela e

My main dealer who services and MOT's my car recommends new tyres and has quoted £1007 to supply and fit four. This seems excessive compared with Quick Fit's on line quotations. What tyres would you recommend and is it safe to use Quick Fit?

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - oldtoffee

You could do worse than make a note of the size, profile, speed rating eg 235/60/18 V (my car not yours!) and check out mytyres dot co dot uk or camskill dot co dot uk and see what a lot of people pay. You'll see the tyre ratings for wet weather, noise, economy and links to owner reviews. You'd need to find a local fitter to pay around £40 to fit them or you could take the price to Kwik Fit and see if they'll get close. Kwik Fit's first price won't be very competitive so I'd be reluctant to take it without a modicum of haggling.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - Cyd

What size?

I've had Goodyear Eagle F1s (old directional design) on a previous car, then Conti Sport Contacts on present car which I then changed for F1s again (new assymetric design).

The F1s are SUPERB. Check out tyre reviews - they are always in the top few.
They can be had in standard or extra load (I've gone for standard to keep the ride sensible on our potholed roads at the expense of a tiny bit of steering precision). They grip like the proverbial, are comfortable and quiet. Wear rate is fair for a performance tyre.

I need another set in th enew year and shall be getting F1s again.

Try Blackcircles for a price. They usually have good deals.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - daveyjp

I have found Kwikfit online price comparable to Blackcircles, Camskill etc, although the tyre choices are limited and they may not have exactly what you want online.

Despite that I wouldn't take the car there.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - christo

If you know what size of tyres you are looking for, get online to Event Tyres and have a look at the price categories and makes. I have used this company three times now and they are good, they will come to your home or place of work to fit the tyres at a pre arranged time. Good Luck, regards Christo

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - dan86

I try to avoid kwikfit like the plague unless it's the only option like a puncture repair on a Sunday and then I only take the wheel in not the whole car.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - RobJP

I've used blackcircles before now, and was very happy with their service.

However, the last tyres I had done came from event-tyres.co.uk. They came out to my place of work to do the job at a prearranged time, and nobody could touch them on price. The only thing that I've heard from other people is that they don't seem to have full nationwide coverage. However, well worth a look.

One last thing : like some others have said, avoid Kwik-fit or ATS. Especially for a woman, they will load their prices, and do everything they can to rip you off.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - Eddy56

I've used mytyres or wherever is cheapest, to order online and then take to a local independent fitter and paid around £40 for fitting and balancing (have to haggle to get £10 a corner, most my way want £12.50 to £15 a tyre). But this can work out cheaper by anything between £50 and £100 against quotes by kwik fit and other local fitters for supply and fit of the same tyres. However, I've also found haggling at kwik fit has worked and they've matched the best deal I've found elsewhere so that's worth a shot if you're a type who is comfortable to haggle.

I did recently buy a set of 4 goodyear efficient grip at kwik fit, they are currently doing a £40 cashback deal on 4 goodyear tyres, this made the overall price competitive with the buy online, pay someone to fit option.

I never had any issues with workmanship at kwik fit, but I always stay and watch and if I can will strike up a conversation with the fitter. I like having a chat with these guys - I've learned a thing or two about tyres and brands from them and I'm sure they are more likely to treat my car and wheels with respect if I treat them with the same.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - quizman

If you get a quote from an on line firm such as Blackcircles or Event and show it to your BMW dealer, they will match the price.

I agree with the comments re Kwikfit and ATS. They are out to grab as much as they can, KF told my DIL that if she didn't have her oil changed the car would seize up! I spoke to the manager.

My son's girlfriend took her car with a puncture to KF, they wouldn't repair it, they sold her a new one at £12 more than their web price.

I recently ordered 4 Goodyear Performance Plus tyres from ATS. They fitted 3 and then fitted a different one to the 4th wheel. They got cross with me when I refused to accept this and insisted on having all 4 tyres the same. It took them over 2 hours to fit the 4 tyres and it took them over an hour to fit the 4th tyre when I went back a few days later. I did not get an apology from the manager.

I will never go to ATS Euromaster or Kwikfit ever again. There are plenty of decent tyre firms out there.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - Firmbutfair

Hi there Angela e - I have always found Kwik Fit in Southend-on-Sea to be excellent value for money for exhaust systems but have always taken my cars to National Tyres Centre in Hadleigh for tyre changes and puncture repairs. Once you find a well managed local dealer - stick with them and take your boyfriend/dad/brother along to avoid being taken for a ride!

In summary is IS safe to use Kwik Fit given the above provisos.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - skidpan

Bought 4 new tyres 2 weeks ago from ATS on line. Way cheaper than the instore price and only £2 a corner more than buying from Camskill and getting fitted locally.

Drove in, tyres fitted, drove out.

Excellent service.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - Wackyracer

I ordered my last 2 sets of tyres online with Kwik Fit. The price was very good compared with other smaller tyre retailers and I got the premium brand of tyre I wanted, rather than some unkown budget brand.

I'm not a Kwik-fit fan but, They couldn't be beaten on price and did a great job of fitting the tyres and doing the tracking.

I think it is all a bit of a lottery with big chains as some fitting centres will be better than others.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - Avant

I had an irreparable puncture this week (pothole again, Oxfordshire again - and the useless council never compensate you). It was a Continental winter tyre and despite the best efforts of my local ATS at Wincanton nobody could supply a replacement. I will never buy a Continental tyre again, through their hopeless lack of desire to sell.

I've no doubt that there has been a lot of demand for winter tyres, but that is no help if you have a puncture. Winter comes round regularly once a year, and if it takes Continental by surprise they don't deserve to be in business.

I wasn't inclined to have one tyre of a different make from the others, so had to buy two new ones - Kleber Quadraxer all-weather tyres which are much cheaper and were so good on my previous Octavia - and delivered the next morning. At least I have one spare, newish Continental in case it should happen again or when the time comes for replacement..

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - skidpan

Avant

DO NOT MIX DIFFERENT TYRE TYES ON YOU CAR. THE QUADRAXERS WILL HAVE FAR MORE GRIP THAN THE OEM CONTINETALS IN ADVERSE CONDITIONS AND WILL UNBALANCE THE CAR. THERE IS A HIGH RISK IN AN EMERGENCY SITUATION YOU WILL LOOSE CONTROL WITH THE EXPECTED RESULTS.

WITH A MIXTURE OF TYRES IT IS LIKELEY YOUR INSURERS WILL REFUSE COVER.

WINTER AND ALL SEASON TYRES MUST BE FITTED OIN SETS OF 4. MY INSURERS CHARGE NO EXTRA FOR FITTING THEM BUT THEY INSIST THEY ARE IN SETS OF 4.

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - oldtoffee

I think avant will be ok. The Continentals he has are winter tyres so he's just putting different winters on the other axle, the levels of grip may be ever so slightly different but not by enough to concern him. Provided the Quafdraxers are same size, load rating and if possible, speed rating then his insurance company won't be bothered. I wouldn't be suprprised if he's told them already that he has fitted winter tyres.

Skidpan, I have used ATS before many time from the Derby, Kedleston Rd branch and have been pleased with their service.

But on my last visit they tried to put an odd tyre on when I'd ordered 4, they took over 2 hours to fit them, it took them over an hour to fit the 4th tyre 3 days later and not one apology for their mistake and slow service.

On one wheel they put 14 weights on, I had it rebalanced by another fitter and now it's got 2 weights.

Yes, it all depends on the staff in these large chains. I hit unlucky and will not go back.

Just after my atrocious service at ATS, I wanted 2 runflat tyres for my 5 series. I looked online and found the cheapest were £181. I rang CTS tyres in Derby and they quoted £180.

I got them fitted in just over half an hour and paid the bill, they had charged me £168. I left the firm in a good mood and will go back.

Decent firm!

BMW 3 Series M sport saloon - new tyres - mazda60

Hi,

Several of my friends have recently used a website named "tyresonthedrive.com" where they have input their car registration and been given a selection of tyres to choose from.You pick the tyres; arrange a date to have them fitted at your home.So very easy they say and they have been very satisfied with the price and service.