BMW 1 series - Thoughts on 118D 2010-11 - Ash_Davis123

Im looking at getting a 1 series 118D (2010-11) with a budget of up to 10k with around 50,000 miles.

Are there any known issues with these models. I've read about the timing chain problem but I belive this is only on models up to 2009 so am I okay if I get a 2010/11 model? Is there anything else I should look out for?

Are there any difference between 2010 (59 Reg) and the 2011 (60 Reg)

BMW 1 series - Thoughts on 118D 2010-11 - skidpan

Had a 118D on an 08 plate for 5 1/2 years. No problems at all other than a battery replaced under warranty and a broken front spring.

Timing chain issues was on early ones (2007 and earlier) but even on those if you use the correct BMW spec oils its doutful there should be any problems.

After 2008 the only changes were cosmetic.

Ours averaged 48 mpg and on a long trip managed 54 mpg. Not as good as I expected based on cars before and since but its hardly aerodynamic.

BMW 1 series - Thoughts on 118D 2010-11 - RobJP

Similar to Skidpan really - we had a 118d as SWMBO's car, never had a thing go wrong with it. Economy similar, possibly a bit better.

The thing that can turn one of these from 'really nice to drive' to 'handles like a pile of crud' is the particular model and spec. I'd seriously avoid anything with big wheels (18" or the insane 19" options, 17s aren't too bad), and also avoid M-sport spec. All it does is make the suspension crashy, and the big wheels make it more crashy again. Ideally SE spec and 16" wheels, and it will absorb bumps all day long.

We had a look at the 3 door and 5 door hatchbacks, went with the 5 door. The 3 door, the doors are enormous, can make it a major issue getting in or out in parking spaces. Though with the doors wide open, access to the back was very good in the 3 door version.

The 116d, 118d and 120d are all the same basic engine, with different levels of tune. The 116d felt horribly underpowered compared to the 118d. The 120d, strangely, didn't feel like such a huge step up from the 118d, so we went with the 118d.

A few things on different 'edition' models at various times. Ours had heated seats (very nice), and a few other bits too, I think ours was an 'ES edition' model, though I can't be sure.

BMW 1 series - Thoughts on 118D 2010-11 - Ash_Davis123

Whats the main differences between the ES and SE?

BMW 1 series - Thoughts on 118D 2010-11 - RobJP

Spec. Exactly what, in terms of spec, I couldn't tell you though. The SE has a few extra bits, but the ES Edition model that we bought had those, plus a few more, for less than the price of the SE. Plus I seem to recall we got about 10% off the list price too.

Sometimes, car pricing and variants make no sense at all.

BMW 1 series - Thoughts on 118D 2010-11 - skidpan

Whats the main differences between the ES and SE?

From memory, its 6 1/2 years since we bought ours, the SE had climate, and a few extra odds and sods plus slightly different wheels, still 16" ones. Not worth the extra money IMHO.

We bought the Edition ES. Only £300 more than the cooking ES with loads of extras which we wanted including M Sport seats, 17" wheels, mats, remote audio etc. Think they renamed it the sport eventually.

The ride on17" wheels is fine but the ride on 16" wheels is slightly better.

We tried the 118D and the 120D, the 116D was not on sale at the time. The extra for the 120D was not worth it IMHO (about £1500), the 118D went well enough and we never regretted our choice.

BMW 1 series - Thoughts on 118D 2010-11 - Avant

To compare specifications the easiest thing to do is to download a brochure from the BMW website.